HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Tomas Young, disabled vet...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 08:47 PM

Tomas Young, disabled veteran, tells audience he’ll commit suicide

My heart is broken. Tomas is here in KC and we have tried to do all we can to help him. His health just keeps deteriorating and he hasn't gotten good care from the VA.

A screening of the documentary Body of War at the Ridgefield Playhouse came to a startling conclusion Friday night, when the film’s star told a stunned audience that he was going to end his life.

Tomas Young, the paralyzed Iraq War vet whose life was showcased in the film, announced via Skype that in April he intends to stop taking all nourishment and life-extending medications. “It’s time,” he said. “When I go I want be alert and aware.”

The announcement came during a question and answer session at the playhouse between Morton Dean who was hosting the Q&A and Phil Donahue, Body of War’s producer and co-director.

Mr. Donahue said Tomas Young and his wife Claudia would be joining them via Skype, and that significant changes had occurred with Mr. Young since the film was made in 2007.

more . . . http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/14118/tomas-young-disabled-veteran-tells-audience-hell-commit-suicide/

If you haven't seen Body of War, please check it out. It's an absolutely wonderful film. http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/body-war/

http://www.bodyofwar.com/

Body of War, a film by Ellen Spiro and Phil Donahue, premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival to several standing ovations and acclaim. It won Best Documentary from the prestigious National Board of Review and was nominated for Best Documentary from Producer's Guild of America. Body of War was short-listed for an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary and was released theatrically through Landmark Theatres. Phil Donahue and Ellen Spiro were featured in a special on Bill Moyers http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03212008/watch2.html, as well as appearing on all the major networks and publications.

Body of War is an intimate and transformational feature documentary about the true face of war today. Meet Tomas Young, 25 years old, paralyzed from a bullet to his spine - wounded after serving in Iraq for less than a week.

Body of War is Tomas' coming home story as he evolves into a new person, coming to terms with his disability and finding his own unique and passionate voice against the war. The film is produced and directed by Phil Donahue and Ellen Spiro, and features two original songs by Eddie Vedder. Body of War is a naked and honest portrayal of what it's like inside the body, heart and soul of this extraordinary and heroic young man.

Body of War unfolds on two parallel tracks. On the one hand, we see Tomas evolving into a powerful voice against the war as he struggles to deal with the complexities of a paralyzed body. And on the other, we see the historic debate unfolding in the Congress about going to war in Iraq.

The film opens as Tomas and his fiance Brie prepare for their wedding. However, because of his disability, we see how the simple everyday activities for Tomas are involved and challenging. War is personal and the film takes us into the skin and bones of what it means to have no control over basic bodily functions. In many remarkable scenes, we directly experience how vulnerable and open Tomas is as he interacts with his wife, family, and friends.

For their honeymoon, Tomas and Brie journey to Camp Casey, the anti-war encampment in Crawford, Texas, down the road from President Bush's Texas ranch. It was here that Cindy Sheehan galvanized the world's media and jumpstarted a new and growing anti-war movement. Cindy's son Casey and Tomas were both shot on the same day in Iraq. Tomas speaks publicly, gives interviews, finding his new voice and role. As the film progresses, we witness Tomas' evolution into a powerful leader, finding fresh abilities out of his disability and expressing his new form of patriotism. He is interviewed by Mike Wallace for "60 Minutes" and featured in a photo essay in The Nation magazine.

On a parallel track, Body of War follows the historic deliberations in Congress to grant President Bush authority to invade Iraq. During the fall of 2002, both Houses debated the Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Forces against Iraq (H. J. Res 114). The House of Representatives adopted the resolution on October 10, by a vote of 296-133. The next day, the Senate passed it by a vote of 77-23.

In the film, scenes of Tomas speaking out against the war are interspersed with the packaged debate in both houses of Congress, and the vote by vote tally in the U.S. Senate. (The vote on this resolution remains highly controversial five years later. In the current presidential campaign, the vote comes up again and again.)

The foremost voice of restraint in Congress was Senator Robert Byrd, Democrat of West Virginia, the longest serving senator in U. S. history, first elected in 1958. His eloquent opposition to this momentous resolution is vividly captured in Body of War.

In the final riveting scene, the two streams of the film come together, as Tomas visits Senator Byrd in his office on Capitol Hill. Together, they review the historic Senate vote and read aloud the names of the "Immortal 23" who stood against the war.

17 replies, 2523 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tomas Young, disabled veteran, tells audience he’ll commit suicide (Original post)
proud2BlibKansan Feb 2013 OP
SaveAmerica Feb 2013 #1
proud2BlibKansan Feb 2013 #6
SaveAmerica Feb 2013 #11
AnotherDreamWeaver Feb 2013 #2
proud2BlibKansan Feb 2013 #5
AnotherDreamWeaver Feb 2013 #15
LineReply .
tk2kewl Feb 2013 #3
babylonsister Feb 2013 #4
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #7
libodem Feb 2013 #8
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #10
libodem Feb 2013 #12
Initech Feb 2013 #14
proud2BlibKansan Feb 2013 #17
annm4peace Feb 2013 #9
kas125 Feb 2013 #13
proud2BlibKansan Feb 2013 #16

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:00 PM

1. I've seen this twice, the vote count got to me both times

I hope that Donahue will work to help him get some answers that he needs soon.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SaveAmerica (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:32 PM

6. When they screened the film here in KC, the congress rep was there

She had since retired from Congress but was serving when that vote was taken. And she voted NO. I talked to her at the screening. She said that vote was the one she was most proud of in all the years she had served in Congress.

She died a couple years later. What a wonderful lady.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_McCarthy

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:29 PM

11. That is DEFINITELY something to be proud of!

Thanks for the link and bringing this documentary to the attention of those who haven't heard of it. My husband was anti-Iraq war but served there and he was glued to the show when it was on the Documentary channel.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:21 PM

2. I have heard of this film, but didn't understand just what it was. Now it's a MUST SEE...

My prayers for Tomas and Claudia.

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherDreamWeaver (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:29 PM

5. The link I posted is no good.

It's in pieces on youtube:

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:28 AM

15. My internet connection is slow, I'll try to buy the film. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 PM

3. .

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:13 PM

4. I remember him, and your efforts.

This is so sad. I don't know what to say, but don't live in his body.
Thank you for re-introducing us to Tomas again.
I still don't know what to say, or how I'd feel if I were in his shoes.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:36 PM

7. kr. may bush burn in hell.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 PM

8. exactly

What you said!

Reply to this post

Response to libodem (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:21 PM

10. that film really hits the point home; our leaders are psychopathic liars who kill and maim us for

their own ends.

how anyone could believe that this dirty money system produces leaders who 'care' about the rest of us, i'll never know.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:36 PM

12. So sad

So true.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:45 AM

14. +10000000000000000000!!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:00 PM

17. Definitely.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:21 PM

9. Rachel Maddow should show this

along with her piece on the lies of the Iraq War.

I don't think NBC/GE would let her though.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 AM

13. I don't think I've stopped crying since I read it on facebook. My heart truly is

breaking. Thank you, proud2B, for sharing Tomas' story here all those years ago. Without it, I may not have met him or his mom and I love them both. This is really hard for everyone who cares for them.

Reply to this post

Response to kas125 (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:05 AM

16. (((Hugs)))

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread