HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have you written the 15-p...

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:25 PM

Have you written the 15-page essay for your charter school application yet?

Students may be asked to submit a 15-page typed research paper, an original short story, or a handwritten essay on the historical figure they would most like to meet. There are interviews. Exams. And pages of questions for parents to answer, including: How do you intend to help this school if we admit your son or daughter?

These aren't college applications. They're applications for seats at charter schools.

Charters are public schools, funded by taxpayers and widely promoted as open to all. But Reuters has found that across the United States, charters aggressively screen student applicants, assessing their academic records, parental support, disciplinary history, motivation, special needs and even their citizenship, sometimes in violation of state and federal law.

Among the barriers that Reuters documented:

* Applications that are made available just a few hours a year.

* Lengthy application forms, often printed only in English, that require student and parent essays, report cards, test scores, disciplinary records, teacher recommendations and medical records.

* Demands that students present Social Security cards and birth certificates for their applications to be considered, even though such documents cannot be required under federal law.

* Mandatory family interviews.

* Assessment exams.

* Academic prerequisites.

* Requirements that applicants document any disabilities or special needs. The U.S. Department of Education considers this practice illegal on the college level but has not addressed the issue for K-12 schools.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-usa-charters-admissions-idUSBRE91E0HF20130215

4 replies, 607 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have you written the 15-page essay for your charter school application yet? (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
trackfan Feb 2013 #1
Purveyor Feb 2013 #2
bluestateguy Feb 2013 #3
frazzled Feb 2013 #4

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:30 PM

1. I made it through 4 years at UCLA and the longest paper I ever did was 9 pages.

That was using every stretching technique I could muster.

I don't think I ever submitted another paper longer than 3 pages, even though a longer minimum was sometimes asked for. I've just never had that much bullshit, or, if you prefer, effusion, in me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:31 PM

2. Thank you for posting. +1 eom

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:33 PM

3. That's a lot for a high school kid

Only a few college classes will even assign a paper that long.

I wonder what kind of quality you are going to be getting from those papers.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:58 PM

4. My daughter had to write an application with essay for public high school

That would have been back in 1995, and there were no charter schools at the time we were there. The city where we lived then (Mpls.) had choice for public high school. You could attend the regular program at the high school in your home area, or you could choose a program within a number of high schools ... an "open" program, an IB program at another school, etc. She visited the different high schools and wanted to go to IB (it happened to be at our home-area school). It was no 15-page application, but an essay and writing sample was required, because the program was heavily writing based. I think you had to submit your transcripts and a teacher recommendation, too.

I'm not sure if she was required to or offered to mention any disabilities or special needs. But she wouldn't have had to: it was on her school records (her IEP). She is hearing impaired, and had been getting audiological and speech services through the district for years. Public high schools would have records to document all the things above: report cards, test scores, disciplinary records, etc.

I now live in Chicago, which also has "Selective Enrollment High Schools." I looked up Whitney Young, where Michelle Obama went, and indeed they have an application process that requires an entrance exam, 7th grade reading and math test results, and 7th-grade classroom grades, plus you have to submit an IEP plan (that's for students with disabilities or special needs) if you have one. So lots of this is not unusual.

http://www.wyoung.org/admissions_process.jsp

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread