HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The lying bastard was all...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:17 PM

The lying bastard was allowed to leave the White House and retire to Texas

He was never charged with war crimes yet he was personally responsible for 60,000 American war deaths, 7 in my graduating class that had 62 young guys alone, an estimated 3 million Vietnamese killed and the near destruction of this country.

Watch this video. Watch as if you were a young man in 1964 with conscription hanging over your head. Watch as if you were watching it with your high school buddies who had never even heard of South East Asia let alone Viet Nam. Watch as if your WW2 veteran father is yelling at the TV "you lying asshole".

He looked right into the camera and lied straight faced while we cried.

Oh, it doesn't make what Bush/Cheney did right. But it does explain why I'm resigned to the fact that nothing will ever be done. They won't dig up Lyndon Bastard Johnson, even if they did I wouldn't waste the time to piss on his corpse. It's over for me.

And they'll never hold Bush/Cheney responsible.

11 replies, 1187 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply The lying bastard was allowed to leave the White House and retire to Texas (Original post)
Leslie Valley Feb 2013 OP
LeftInTX Feb 2013 #1
AnotherMcIntosh Feb 2013 #6
LeftInTX Feb 2013 #7
AnotherMcIntosh Feb 2013 #8
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #2
RC Feb 2013 #3
yardwork Feb 2013 #9
RC Feb 2013 #10
Leslie Valley Feb 2013 #4
Douglas Carpenter Feb 2013 #5
GreenStormCloud Feb 2013 #11

Response to Leslie Valley (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:22 PM

1. Yep...

Heard he did it to make himself look tough next to Goldwater. Election was just around the corner.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:01 AM

6. Don't believe it. First, LBJ won the election then 4 months later sent regular combat troops to VN.

Army advisors had been in Viet Nam since Truman's time. And there were a lot of them. But LBJ was the first president to send regular land troops, and he did so after the election when he didn't have to "look tough next to Goldwater."

If you are looking for a motive, look at the connection between LBJ and KBR. Look at how his widow became one of the corporate directors at Halliburton.

For some politicians who control the governmental finances, wars are very profitable.

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:11 AM

7. Gulf of Tonkin Resolution - August 7, 1964

Gave U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson authorization, without a formal declaration of war by Congress, for the use of "conventional'' military force in Southeast Asia. Specifically, the resolution authorized the President to do whatever necessary in order to assist "any member or protocol state of the Southeast Asia Collective Defense Treaty". This included involving armed forces.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 AM

8. Re-read #6. LBJ did not send regular combat troops to Viet Nam until 4 months after the election.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 PM

2. Wrong.

American deaths from 1964 to 1968 in Vietnam were around 36,000.

If you're going to malign a Democrat, at least get the numbers right.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/wdf/deaths.html

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:00 AM

3. 58,209 American died in Viet Nam from 19551975

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:40 PM

9. Was LBJ responsible for every one of them?

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:15 PM

10. No, just most of them.

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:03 AM

4. Malign a Democrat. What an interesting responce.

And were you one of those who wore the hard hat with the flag decal shouting "America, love it or leave it?"

Not that you didn't have every right to support the war in Viet Nam, many others did too.

I just happened to disagree with them.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:26 AM

5. not to exonerate LBJ but-if LBJ had never been born there would have still been the Vietnam War and

it would have been just as brutal. The Vietnam War was the inevitable consequences of established U.S. foreign policy of that time. No one who would have been President at that time could have withstood the rpessure to escalate. It was written in stone since the late 40's or early 50's that the U.S. was going to oppose by any means necessary any revolution that was lead by a Communist faction especially those that were aligned with the Soviet Union. This was the bipartisan consensus with only a few voices questioning it at least until well after the massive escalations had already taken place. Yes, it is absolutely true that the result of this policy was to frequently push movements of anti-colonial struggle into the Soviet camp by not giving them any alternative. But that was still the deeply misguided policy made even more intransigent by charges that the U.S. surrendered China to the Communist and negotiated away Eastern Europe to Soviet domination. The McCarthy era puts most Democrats - even some of the most liberal ones - into the position of believing that they were vulnerable to the charge of being soft on communism and pink around the edges - thus having to prove that they were just as anti-Communist and pro-cold warrior as any Republican. It was the bipartisan consensus that caused the Vietnam War not any one personality.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:49 PM

11. He is the reason I voted for Nixon.

He sent me to Vietnam. In 68 his VP, Humphrey, was the Democratic Candidate. Even though I had been raised as a Democrat, I viewed HHH as being an extension of the LBJ presidency and voted for Nixon. Yes, it was a mistake, but under the circumstances I think it was understandable.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread