HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Corporate Greed Sweeps Aw...

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:01 PM

Corporate Greed Sweeps Away Public Schools in Philadelphia

Abetted by the example of Race to the Top, as well as encouragement from the Gates Foundation, the William Penn Foundation, and the rightwing Corbett administration in Harrisburg, the state-appointed School Reform Commission in Philadelphia is poised to close an unprecedented number of Philadelphia public schools. The schools are under enrolled, says the commission, but the commission created the under-enrollment by opening charter schools. now Philadelphia will run a dual system, like many other cities, even though the charters are no better than the public schools.

Cui bono?

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/02/18/corporate-greed-sweeps-away-public-schools-in-philadelphia/

3 replies, 468 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Corporate Greed Sweeps Away Public Schools in Philadelphia (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
Ed Suspicious Feb 2013 #1
HeiressofBickworth Feb 2013 #2
madfloridian Feb 2013 #3

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:09 PM

1. There was a guy on Wisconsin Public Radio a few weeks ago talking about charter schools

and defunding public k-12 public schools. He reassuringly said something to the effect of "trust me, corporations do NOT want to get into the business schools." I was slack jawed after hearing that spin.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:52 PM

2. I guess they've found a way

to institute the old "separate but equal" rule again. Seeing this in light of another thread on DU about the "entrance" exams for the public charter schools, it seems that only the elite will be getting an education and the rest can sweep the floors. I think we've seen this movie before.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:55 PM

3. They will sweep them away wherever they get a foothold.

They have one in Florida, but parents are fighting back.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread