HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » please help me research a...

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 PM

please help me research a supposed statement by Nancy Pelosi re. congressional pay raises

Teabagger buddy of mine re-posted something from the tea-bagger party claiming that Nancy Pelosi said it would be undignified for Congress not to get a pay raise this year. I've been looking for any legitimate news source on that and have found nothing, just a bunch of right wing rags along with Hannity's website - nothing I'd believe for an instant. Can someone shed a little truth on this story?

It wouldn't surprise me if this was either something taken way way out of context, or if it's an outright lie. The problem with crap like this is that it takes a hell of a lot longer debunking lies than it takes to make up the lie in the first place. I remember a quote (unfortunately I can't remember who said it) - "A lie can travel around the world while the truth is still putting it's pants on".

4 replies, 966 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply please help me research a supposed statement by Nancy Pelosi re. congressional pay raises (Original post)
groundloop Feb 2013 OP
Lil Missy Feb 2013 #1
groundloop Feb 2013 #2
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2013 #4
Journeyman Feb 2013 #3

Response to Lil Missy (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:21 PM

2. thanks. glad I didn't open my mouth yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to groundloop (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 08:07 PM

4. Note that "struggling to make ends meet" was made up by the NBC writer

who is, strangely, anonymous. What Pelosi actually said was, about a cut in congressional pay:

"I don't think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded."..."It's a hard question to ask me because most of my colleagues are the breadwinners in their families," she said. "A pay cut to me doesn't mean as much."

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/283341-pelosi-congressional-pay-cut-undermines-dignity-of-the-job-

Reply to this post

Response to groundloop (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:54 PM

3. The quote is from Mark Twain . . .

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread