HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Profiting from Your Thirs...

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 04:37 AM

Profiting from Your Thirst as Global Elite Rush to Control Water Worldwide

http://climatesoscanada.org/blog/2013/02/15/profiting-from-your-thirst-as-global-elite-rush-to-control-water-worldwide/#comment-7204

A disturbing trend in the water sector is accelerating worldwide. The new “water barons” — the Wall Street banks and elitist multibillionaires — are buying up water all over the world at unprecedented pace. Familiar mega-banks and investing powerhouses such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Macquarie Bank, Barclays Bank, the Blackstone Group, Allianz, and HSBC Bank, among others, are consolidating their control over water. Wealthy tycoons such as T. Boone Pickens, former President George H.W. Bush and his family, Hong Kong’s Li Ka-shing, Philippines’ Manuel V. Pangilinan and other Filipino billionaires, and others are also buying thousands of acres of land with aquifers, lakes, water rights, water utilities, and shares in water engineering and technology companies all over the world.

The second disturbing trend is that while the new water barons are buying up water all over the world, governments are moving fast to limit citizens’ ability to become water self-sufficient (as evidenced by the well-publicized Gary Harrington’s case in Oregon, in which the state criminalized the collection of rainwater in three ponds located on his private land, by convicting him on nine counts and sentencing him for 30 days in jail). Let’s put this criminalization in perspective:

Billionaire T. Boone Pickens owned more water rights than any other individuals in America, with rights over enough of the Ogallala Aquifer to drain approximately 200,000 acre-feet (or 65 billion gallons of water) a year. But ordinary citizen Gary Harrington cannot collect rainwater runoff on 170 acres of his private land.

It’s a strange New World Order in which multibillionaires and elitist banks can own aquifers and lakes, but ordinary citizens cannot even collect rainwater and snow runoff in their own backyards and private lands.

(Cross-posted from Occupy Underground. The sources in this article appear solid. Note the appearance of the Bush family.)

19 replies, 2045 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Profiting from Your Thirst as Global Elite Rush to Control Water Worldwide (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 OP
Berlum Feb 2013 #1
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #4
stonecutter357 Feb 2013 #9
Sherman A1 Feb 2013 #2
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #6
SnowCritter Feb 2013 #12
littlemissmartypants Feb 2013 #3
triplepoint Feb 2013 #5
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #7
triplepoint Feb 2013 #15
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #16
lib2DaBone Feb 2013 #8
hue Feb 2013 #10
Pryderi Feb 2013 #11
Atman Feb 2013 #13
Egalitarian Thug Feb 2013 #14
KamaAina Feb 2013 #17
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #19
Mojorabbit Feb 2013 #18

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:05 AM

1. "All your water are belong to us." - Corporate Borgs, Inc. (R - BorgStyle)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Berlum (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:38 AM

4. it's their plantation; we just work on it.

Reply to this post

Response to Berlum (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 06:39 AM

9. K&R

WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO WOLOLO!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:22 AM

2. K&R

I recall a day when we thought it was absurd that water was being sold in little plastic bottles..now it's just completely normal.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:48 AM

6. Frank Zappa once said that the fizzy drink corporations wanted to do this to replace our regular

supply paths of water.

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:38 AM

12. Brawndo, anyone?

Idiocracy lives!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:41 AM

5. just buy an air-to-water machine

Last edited Mon Feb 18, 2013, 02:24 PM - Edit history (2)

you won't need to worry about water after that. The technology is scalable.

http://www.skywater.com
http://www.ecoloblue.com
http://www.air2water.net

Reply to this post

Response to triplepoint (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:56 AM

7. They would still control farmer's acess to water and thus control the food supply. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:25 PM

15. Wrongo

The Air-to-Water System is scalable. The "family farm" in the U.S. is on the endangered species list...and is going to be completely extinct in short order. Not that I want to see this, but you resort to a desperate specious/straw man argument technique. Maybe you just don't know about this technology as yet(?). Nevertheless, the DOD has large, shipping containerized air-to-water systems that make thousands of gallons/day of potable water. This technology operates EVEN in low (down to about 30%) humidity climates. I sampled the water from an air-to-water system back in 2006 out in New Mexico, and found it to be on par with distilled water.

Reply to this post

Response to triplepoint (Reply #15)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:41 PM

16. We are in a global food crisis and the continued/worsening drought will only exacerbate it.

Last edited Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:42 PM - Edit history (2)

Climate change is real and present, and water is imperative.

Edit: The problem is that those who wish to truly control water, will simply make laws against using machines to collect it, same as they did to the man attempting to collect rainwater on his own property. We're dealing with Oligarchs, not sane people keeping in mind our benefit and care.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:57 AM

8. Potable water is the next commodity to be hoarded and manipulated.

This stared about 10 years ago.

Look for Pete Peterson, The Blackstone Group, the Koch Bros, etc., to move in and corner the market while driving the prices up.

Of course, CONgress will do the ususal.. pass an enabling law called "The Fresh Water Protection & Preservation Act". which will offer giant tax breaks and subsidies for the thieves.

"Louis.. ... round up the usual suspects".......

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:29 AM

10. Yes as global warming worsens fresh water will become a more valuable commodity than gold & oil...

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:32 AM

11. The XL Pipeline will exacerbate this problem n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:53 AM

13. Marco Rubio didn't commit a gaffe...

His lunge 'n gulp was actually product placement for water.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 09:41 AM

14. K&R I was just writing this on another thread

after the 100,000 acre Bush land purchase and extradition came up.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=2390244

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:24 PM

17. Among the first companies to buy up water was...

...Enron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azurix

Azurix Corp. is a water services company, headquartered in Houston, Texas. The company owned and operated facilities in North America (mainly Canada), Europe, and South America. In 2007, Azurix was awarded a $165 million claim against the government of Argentina by an international arbitrator, the company is currently involved in a dispute over Argentina's refusal to pay the claim.

Background

Azurix was formed when Enron Corporation purchased Wessex Water in 1998. In June 1999 it was part-floated on the NYSE stock exchange, with Enron retaining 34% ownership. The company was formed with an IPO of $800 million and an opening stock price of $22.00, which fell to $2.00 within two years. The business was a disaster for Enron, and in April 2001 Enron announced it would break up Azurix and sell its assets. Enron eventually sold Azurix North America and Azurix Industrial Operations to American Water Works for $141.5 million.

P.S. Gary Harrington is a darling of the right wing. He was diverting runoff from the stream that borders his property, leaving less water for everyone, including the fish.

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #17)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:56 PM

19. Yes, absolutely! They were also huge supporters of and contributors to W Bush's reign. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:30 PM

18. K and R nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread