HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Software that tracks peop...

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 AM

Software that tracks people on social media created by defence firm: Raytheon mines social networks

A multinational security firm has secretly developed software capable of tracking people's movements and predicting future behaviour by mining data from social networking websites.

A video obtained by the Guardian reveals how an "extreme-scale analytics" system created by Raytheon, the world's fifth largest defence contractor, can gather vast amounts of information about people from websites including Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare.

Raytheon says it has not sold the software named Riot, or Rapid Information Overlay Technology to any clients.

But the Massachusetts-based company has acknowledged the technology was shared with US government and industry as part of a joint research and development effort, in 2010, to help build a national security system capable of analysing "trillions of entities" from cyberspace.

The sophisticated technology demonstrates how the same social networks that helped propel the Arab Spring revolutions can be transformed into a "Google for spies" and tapped as a means of monitoring and control.

Using Riot it is possible to gain an entire snapshot of a person's life their friends, the places they visit charted on a map in little more than a few clicks of a button.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/10/software-tracks-social-media-defence

5 replies, 589 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Software that tracks people on social media created by defence firm: Raytheon mines social networks (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
Berlum Feb 2013 #1
Egalitarian Thug Feb 2013 #2
MotherPetrie Feb 2013 #3
Orrex Feb 2013 #4
TM99 Feb 2013 #5

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:38 AM

1. Why this is a regular RIOT

of intrusive anti-American repugnance (R)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 04:38 AM

2. We've been warning people for years about this. I guess this will just be another thing

for you to get all angry about after the fact and we'll just have another thing to say "we told you so" about.

You have a very simple choice, take back your privacy (what's left of it anyway), or sit there and be harvested like any other prey animal.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 08:45 AM

3. Yet another reason to have nothing to do with FB and Twitter

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 09:08 AM

4. I find it impossible to believe that this is a surprise to anyone

If Amazon can deliver ads to my browser with laser-precise targeting based on which FB pages I "like," then it's hardly shocking that DARPA can use similar algorhythms to track my socio-political sentiments.

Anyone who's even remotely surprised by this revelation has been living under a rock for the past 20+ years.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:04 AM

5. What is this now,

reason number five to avoid social media?

I have got to agree with Egalitarian Thug on this one. Some of us saw this coming and made warnings. We are accused of being 'negative Nellies', luddites, not hip enough, and not tapped into the power of social networking.

I fight daily and use every means at my disposal to maintain my boundaries on the Internet and to retain as much privacy as I possibly can. It is getting harder and harder.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread