HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » OBAMA ADMIN WINDS DOWN PL...

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:18 PM

OBAMA ADMIN WINDS DOWN PLAN FOR 'UNINSURABLES'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Citing financial concerns, the Obama administration has begun quietly winding down one of the earliest programs created by the president's health care overhaul, a plan that helps people with medical problems who can't get private insurance.

In an afternoon teleconference with state counterparts, administration officials said Friday the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan will stop taking new applications. People already in the plan will not lose coverage.

Designed as a stopgap solution until the law's full consumer protections are in effect next year, PCIP has served more than 135,000 people, a lifeline for patients with serious medical problems such as cancer and heart failure. But Congress allocated a limited amount of money, and the administration's technical experts want to make sure it doesn't run out.

The plan covers people who have had problems getting private insurance because of a medical condition and have been uninsured for at least six months. Premiums are keyed to average rates charged in each state, which means they're not necessarily cheap, often amounting to several hundred dollars a month for middle-aged individuals.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_OVERHAUL_PRE_EXISTING_CONDITIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-02-16-04-00-09

I understand the state plans may be closing soon so if you were considering using this you need to move ASAP.

22 replies, 1502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply OBAMA ADMIN WINDS DOWN PLAN FOR 'UNINSURABLES' (Original post)
dkf Feb 2013 OP
still_one Feb 2013 #1
frazzled Feb 2013 #4
dkf Feb 2013 #7
amandabeech Feb 2013 #8
dkf Feb 2013 #11
amandabeech Feb 2013 #14
dkf Feb 2013 #17
amandabeech Feb 2013 #20
dkf Feb 2013 #5
MannyGoldstein Feb 2013 #2
magellan Feb 2013 #3
dkf Feb 2013 #6
magellan Feb 2013 #12
dkf Feb 2013 #13
magellan Feb 2013 #19
MotherPetrie Feb 2013 #9
mrmpa Feb 2013 #10
L0oniX Feb 2013 #15
amandabeech Feb 2013 #22
Ikonoklast Feb 2013 #16
dkf Feb 2013 #18
Poll_Blind Feb 2013 #21

Response to dkf (Original post)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:21 PM

1. but it will take full effect in 2014 right? They are not eliminating it are they?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to still_one (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:29 PM

4. In 2014 everybody will be able to buy into a regular pool

(most likely at a much better cost), regardless of medical condition. There will be no need for high-risk pools.

This was always a temporary program, and I can see why they want to make sure they have enough money over the next year, from what was allocated by Congress, to cover all the people who already bought into it.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:49 PM

7. But it's kind of a screw up to have run out of money.

There may have been some counting on buying into it when or if they needed the services. Now it's no longer accepting people and done so quietly.

A lot can happen in 10 months, especially if you already have health problems. Moreover there are people who fell off cobra and were waiting their 6 months.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:51 PM

8. My PIC Federal plan is $350 (partially subsidized by the state), but the pool will be $1,100

a month at least because I will be 58.

That's a humungous jump, and I don't make enough to pay the insurance and my rent in the DC area which is VERY expensive.

The pool premium will be so much that I won't even have to pay a penalty to the IRS.

I just wonder how many older people who can't get a job that provides health care will be in the same boat as me?

Incidentally, since I rent and don't have dependents, my monthly tax bill would just about pay for an insurance policy. However, I doubt that I'll be able to send my taxes to an insurance company.

I'm really looking forward to Medicare, if it is still there when I'm 65.

Reply to this post

Response to amandabeech (Reply #8)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:06 PM

11. Holy cow $1100! For only 1 person?

We so need single payer.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #11)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:16 PM

14. Well, I need something.

It's very frustrating. I work on a project basis--I've had so many breaks in my career that I can't land a regular job with benefits.

My state pre-existing condition plan works well.

I wish that the state would use the money for that plan to further subsidize premiums in the exchanges because the exchange plans here are going to be very, very expensive.

The federal subsidy would help if I made less money. If I made $44,000 I'd pay about $550 a month for health care. $44,001, and I pay the $1,100. It's a very, very steep jump!

But every after tax penney I would make between $44,000 and $54,800 according to my rough calculations would go to paying my insurance. That's not exactly an incentive to work more after I've hit $44,000.

There is some talk about a catastrophic plan included in the PPACA, and maybe that would be cheaper. However, there's little information around about it, and some writers think that it is limited to people 30 and younger.

I pay a high percentage in taxes because I have no children and I have never felt that my situation was secure enough to purchase a house (if I could have afforded one).

However, I have never felt really bad about it because I've had a enough on the table and room enough in my apartment. There have always been children needier than I, so I did not begrudge that some of my tax dollars went to help them.

But now, I feel needy because I'm going to be forced to pay full freight for this health care or go without, and full freight tax, and there may not be enough left over for enough on the table and enough space to lay down my head.

I wonder how many other people will feel this way once they realize just how much their health care will cost.

And folks working for small employers: in researching my own problems, I've found that small employers will be in a bind.

Also, folks to chip into their employer's plan to pay for family care. That may be in jeopardy, too.

Reply to this post

Response to amandabeech (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 PM

17. This system is really unfair to single people.

Singles need that extra cushion because we don't have another person's income to fall back on nor will we have kids to take care of us.

And If I am lucky enough to hold on to it for years, I will be trapped in my job regardless of my savings so that I can get decent medical benefits.

That $44,000 situation is bad for the economy. It's completely de-incentivizing work til you reach that hurdle which means less tax collections too.

If only we had single payer it would knock out a whole lot of barriers on so many levels.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #17)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM

20. Enough people will be angry once ACA is in full force and effect,

that people may scream for single payer.

They'll scream for anything reasonable.

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:30 PM

5. This is to tide uninsurable people over til 2014.

After which you can't exclude people.

The Feds have control over a certain number of plans, while some states have their own. So the fed plan has shut down to new applicants and the states will be soon.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:23 PM

2. And don't look for President Warren to restore it, either!

She'll take the easy way out and fight, tooth-and-nail, for Medicare for All, which will cost far less per person than the ACA "protect the insurance company" kludge and help to make America more competitive in the global economy.

Nothing but trouble, that woman.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:26 PM

3. Would love to but still too expensive to insure my husband

We have to wait and see what FL or the federal gov't does for those in his situation - low income, self-employed, pre-existing condition.

Reply to this post

Response to magellan (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:44 PM

6. I wish they had created a permanent national pool for small business.

It makes so much sense from an economic point of view. How many more entrepreneurs would we have seen?

I don't understand why this wasn't jobs creation program #1.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 PM

12. I think I know why they didn't address this, at least for the self-employed

Some months ago I read that only about 7% of Americans are self-employed (and I'm sorry I didn't save the source). And iirc, most don't have employees; they're one-man bands.

If that figure's right, or even if it's off by a few percentage points, it's easy to see why this relatively small segment of Americans was overlooked.

Of course the trouble is that most self-employed don't earn a lot of money and never will. There are months we barely scrape by, but on average we earn too much to qualify for Medicaid. Affording health insurance remains a pipe dream.

We can only hope that changes when the expanded Medicaid coverage kicks in.

Reply to this post

Response to magellan (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:43 PM

13. Well who wants to risk of being self employed if you can't get insurance?

And it should have been accessible to all small businesses who can't get the scale needed for a decent group premium.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:51 PM

19. Indeed

Single payer would address all this nicely, including the carping from businesses who purport to be laying people off due to the cost of "Obamacare".

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:55 PM

9. Gotta pay for those drones somehow!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 PM

10. I have not been covered since October '12...............

April 1, is when I could have applied. Now I'll have to wait till January '14. when you can't be denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. So that's about $600 a month is prescriptions x 10 months=$6,000 I have to come up with and I am not working.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:20 PM

15. I support 2 people on 15k a year. You have to be rich to afford health care insurance. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to L0oniX (Reply #15)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:57 PM

22. I just checked the Kaiser site.

It has a premium calculator, but it doesn't have a setting for two people.

Nonetheless, one person making $15,000 would not have to pay anything for health insurance.

The subsidy would take care of your premiums.

You and yours may really benefit from the ACA.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:36 PM

16. THEN BLAME CONGRESS FOR NOT FUNDING IT.

Letting sick people die is the faut of Republicans in Congress.

Reply to this post

Response to Ikonoklast (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:46 PM

18. They did fund it but they didn't do a good job of estimating the cost apparently.

Which is what happens when costs are so crazy.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM

21. Get used to this sort of thing- you'll be on the hook to insurance companies while...

...Congress whittles away at what they actually have to provide you for your plan- because they're on the hook to insurance companies.

Capiche?

PB

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread