HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Rahm-connected charter sc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:22 AM

Rahm-connected charter school exec quits after payments of state grant $$ to relatives exposed

The No. 2 executive of the United Neighborhood Organization quit Tuesday, eight days after the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the politically influential charter school operator paid state grant money to companies owned by two of his brothers. Miguel d’Escoto, who was UNO’s senior vice president of operations, resigned “by mutual agreement” in a letter submitted Tuesday evening, said the group’s CEO, Juan Rangel.

“Unfortunately, my being a member of UNO’s staff has become a distraction,” d’Escoto wrote. “I believe it is in the best interest of the organization and our community that I step down.”

“Rangel said UNO’s contracting process “followed the law. However, we want to avoid even the appearance of conflicts of interest,” said Rangel, who was a co-chairman of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2011 campaign.

D’Escoto was paid $200,000 a year by UNO and had worked for it for six years, public records show. He previously was a city transportation commissioner in the administration of former Mayor Richard M. Daley.

D’Escoto’s brothers were paid with state funds under a $98 million grant UNO got to build new schools...D’Escoto Inc. has been paid more than $1.5 million so far for working as “owner’s representative” on that project and on two other UNO schools...Rodrigo d’Escoto’s company was paid about $6.7 million for work... and has a contract for about $3.1 million to help build the new high school... UNO hired d’Escoto Inc. without seeking other bids...

http://www.suntimes.com/18187719-761/uno-exec-quits-after-grant-payments-to-relatives-revealed.html

9 replies, 870 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rahm-connected charter school exec quits after payments of state grant $$ to relatives exposed (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
trublu992 Feb 2013 #1
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #2
LWolf Feb 2013 #4
trublu992 Feb 2013 #7
LWolf Feb 2013 #8
AnotherMcIntosh Feb 2013 #3
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #5
madfloridian Feb 2013 #6
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #9

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 04:33 AM

1. God I hope he is a one time mayor we need to do a major clean house

Chicago is so stagnant and we keep getting one crook after another.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to trublu992 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:33 AM

2. from your lips to god's ears...

Reply to this post

Response to trublu992 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 08:31 AM

4. "Keep getting?"

Didn't Chicago voters VOTE him into office?

I would be pleased to see his political career crash and burn beyond recovery. Chicago voters could help with that.

Reply to this post

Response to LWolf (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 05:44 PM

7. He had no competition that's how Chicago election works there's the well known Devil and no other

competition!

Reply to this post

Response to trublu992 (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:13 PM

8. So...

do local Democratic organizations actively look for better candidates, or support the status quo?

It sounds like they need to be hearing from more people, and getting more active.

Good luck.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 08:11 AM

3. Thanks for posting this. The entire system is rotten.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:27 AM

5. Rahm Emmanuel is ex-Goldman Sachs, for any who didn't know. It explains the smell. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:32 AM

6. Recommended. Rangel says they follow the law?

He said:

"“Rangel said UNO’s contracting process “followed the law. However, we want to avoid even the appearance of conflicts of interest,” said Rangel, who was a co-chairman of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2011 campaign."

Reply to this post

Response to madfloridian (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:23 PM

9. they say whatever they think the public will buy

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread