HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What’s Happened In The Tr...

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:37 AM

What’s Happened In The Trayvon Martin Case Since You Stopped Paying Attention

1. Zimmerman has spent over $300,000 in donations over the last year and is desperate for more funds to finance his defense. Zimmerman has “spent more than $125,000″ on living expenses — not including security — over the last year. His lawyer acknowledged that “Zimmerman’s personal spending may seem exorbitant.” Zimmerman is considering asking the court to declare him “indigent, meaning the public would have to pay for Zimmerman’s defense.” Zimmerman was also sued by a security company for unpaid bills.

2. The trial has been set for June 10. Zimmerman recently asked for a delay of the trial until November but a judge denied his request. Zimmerman’s lawyer says it is “physically impossible for us to be prepared” for trial at that time. A separate proceeding, essentially a mini-trial, to determine whether Zimmerman is immune from prosecution due to Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, is scheduled for April 22.

3. New forensic analysis “casts doubt on Zimmerman’s timeline on the night he shot and killed the unarmed teen.” The analysis was done by “Michael Knox, a retired Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office detective and crime scene investigator.” According to Knox, “based on the times and distances Zimmerman said he covered, Zimmerman would have still been on the phone with Sanford police when he claims he was attacked by Martin.” Knox says that other aspects of Zimmerman’s story, like the claim Martin was leaning over him at the time the shot was fired, are supported by forensic evidence.

4. Zimmerman has gained 105 pounds.

MORE
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/02/14/1594051/whats-happened-in-the-trayvon-martin-case-since-you-stopped-paying-attention/?mobile=nc

9 replies, 1528 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply What’s Happened In The Trayvon Martin Case Since You Stopped Paying Attention (Original post)
Generic Other Feb 2013 OP
gateley Feb 2013 #1
Kalidurga Feb 2013 #2
robinlynne Feb 2013 #6
Adsos Letter Feb 2013 #8
Kalidurga Feb 2013 #9
pinboy3niner Feb 2013 #3
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #4
csziggy Feb 2013 #5
Generic Other Feb 2013 #7

Response to Generic Other (Original post)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 02:22 AM

1. Thank you -- I was thinking about this a couple of days ago.

I'm especially interested in what will be the result of the Stand Your Ground "mini trial".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:15 AM

2. That weight gain isn't going to be good when he goes to trial...

They will have to keep reminding people he wasn't that big. Seeing the guy that big will make it look less likely he felt threatened. It's not exactly right to think a big person can't feel threatened, but it is kind of hard wired in our heads that bigger people are less vulnerable.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:49 PM

6. he had a gun, and trayvon was moving away from him not towards him.....

so I dont think that will be a real issue

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 PM

8. I wonder if they have him on antidepressants?

Some have been known to cause weight gain.

Maybe he's just been scarfing down on that 125k per year living expenses, before he has to face prison chow.

Hopefully, many, many years of prison chow...

Reply to this post

Response to Adsos Letter (Reply #8)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:38 AM

9. I would not be surprised if he is on antidepressants.

Or that he has developed a sleep disorder, not from feeling guilty. I don't think he feels that. But, I would bet he feels persecuted. Which is ironically not far from the truth, he is being prosecuted and rightly so. But, to him having a hero complex, I am sure he feels that he is being railroaded or whatever. And since he can't really go out in public that limits his mobility quite a bit I imagine. And having a lot of money well he can eat whatever he wants and apparently in large quantities.It seems to me that is the perfect storm for weight gain. Been there done that, except no anti depressants and my mind set was way different.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:27 AM

3. Meanwhie, Trayvon's weight had no change...

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:46 AM

4. thanks. i was wondering.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 04:00 AM

5. On a crime forum, we had figured out the timeline months ago

And the problems both with Zimmerman's story and with Trayvon Martin's movements. We worked with maps of the neighborhood, the recording of Zimmerman's call, and the various 911 calls about the altercation and with the sound of the gunshot.

Martin's movements could be explained by two things - thinking that he had lost the strange man who had followed him when he walked between the two rows of houses, and Martin wanting privacy to talk to his girlfriend. That last call to his girlfriend fills the time span in which Martin could have made it back home, according to the cell phone log. Back at the townhouse where Martin was staying was his younger soon to be step brother. What teenage boy wants his intimate conversation overheard by a younger sibling? The girlfriend's narration of her last conversations with Martin fit the events in Zimmerman's call to the police department.

Zimmerman clearly lied to law enforcement - his claimed movements do not match the timeline of his call to law enforcement - it's just that simple. In variations of his story related by his family and friends, Zimmerman would have actually had to talk to Martin while still on the phone with the cops - and that did not happen since it is not heard on the recording of the call.

No one but George Zimmerman knows exactly what happened that night but his lies have not helped reveal the truth. His version so far does not fit the evidence of his own call to law enforcement.

Personally I believe that if anyone deserved the protection of Stand Your Ground, it was Trayvon Martin who was stalked by a vigilante with a gun. But we will never know Trayvon's story about what happened that night - George Zimmerman made sure of that.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 PM

7. Blood money paying for his extravagances

It's cursed. Never going to come to any good.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread