HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Just a word of caution ab...

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:26 PM

Just a word of caution about those luxury cruise ships

I used to work in a shipyard that did repairs of these saltwater Disneylands. All the money is spent "up top". It's what the tourists will never see that should scare you. Why do you think these cruise ships are registered in foreign ports? Do you know that a majority of Carnival's ships fly the flags of Panama and Liberia?
I don't blame the engineers or the folks who work in the bowels of these ships. The companies who own these floating playpens gotta shave money somewhere to turn a profit. Too bad someone doesn't do a major expose' on just what is happening.
Just remember, once you get on board, your life in entirely in someone else's hands.

23 replies, 2242 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just a word of caution about those luxury cruise ships (Original post)
theHandpuppet Feb 2013 OP
HooptieWagon Feb 2013 #1
rightsideout Feb 2013 #2
kimbutgar Feb 2013 #3
malaise Feb 2013 #4
Earth_First Feb 2013 #5
truedelphi Feb 2013 #6
theHandpuppet Feb 2013 #15
RebelOne Feb 2013 #9
alarimer Feb 2013 #7
RebelOne Feb 2013 #11
blueamy66 Feb 2013 #19
lindysalsagal Feb 2013 #16
felix_numinous Feb 2013 #8
FarCenter Feb 2013 #10
davidn3600 Feb 2013 #12
davidpdx Feb 2013 #13
nadinbrzezinski Feb 2013 #14
oldhippie Feb 2013 #21
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2013 #17
DemoTex Feb 2013 #18
4_TN_TITANS Feb 2013 #20
Blue Owl Feb 2013 #22
Blue_In_AK Feb 2013 #23

Response to theHandpuppet (Original post)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 06:37 PM

1. Yes, lots of shiny paint and fancy decor,

for the illusion of luxury hides some pieces of junk. They are regularly inspected though, for safety equipment, health standards, and seaworthiness. But the ships have just enough to squeak by inspection, and no more.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:04 PM

2. Thanks for the great advice

I hadn't considered the cost cutting below decks.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:12 PM

3. Carnival cruise is cheap cruise line you get what you pay for...

My parents used to take cruises every year before my dad passed and they never went on carnival cruise lines. They used to take princess cruises and then carnival brought them and the quality went down from there. They nickeled and timed you to death. In 1989 I went on a cruise for my honeymoon outside of alcohol and shore excursions everything was free. In 2005 my mother took my family on a cruise for Xmas and we were all shocked how they charged for everything even bottled water. Only ice tea and juices were still free. We found out carnival had brought princess cruise line and just exacted as much money off you as they could. Last cruise I went on after that.

That said it must be awful to be trapped on that ship with the smells, no air conditioning and obnoxious cruise passengers.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 PM

4. Not getting on board

Not me - I know the racket from insiders.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:17 PM

5. Strange, we just took a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines...

I saw safety inspections, preparedness drills and crew training happen on a DAILY basis, all seven days...

I never once felt that my personal safety was at risk in the hands of these professionals.

Reply to this post

Response to Earth_First (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:21 PM

6. Scandanivian Airlines, and Norwegian Cruise Ships

A touch above what the rest of those systems happen to be.

And then there are the governments of Norway, Denmark and Iceland. Why, in Iceland the people at the top and in control of the economic crash are now in orange jump suits. Whereas here, they still line up for their multi-million dollars holiday bonus packets!

Reply to this post

Response to truedelphi (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:04 PM

15. Yes, that was a general consensus...

... among those who are familiar with working on these ships. Of course, Norwegian doesn't have a single ship of Liberian or Panamanian registry. That ought to tell folks something right there. But how many people who book a cruise ever check something like that?

Reply to this post

Response to Earth_First (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:26 PM

9. I agree. I was on a Norwegian Cruise Lines trip

many years ago and I noticed the same inspections, drills and training also. I felt totally secure on that cruise.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 PM

7. I am not ever taking a cruise

They are floating disease labs.

Not to mention the very thought of being cooped up with 3000 fellow humans makes me want to scream.

Reply to this post

Response to alarimer (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:29 PM

11. It is not like you think.

A cruise is like being on a giant floating hotel. I you are definitely not cooped up. You have total freedom of the ship. I have been on 3 cruises and they were all totally enjoyable.

Reply to this post

Response to RebelOne (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:41 PM

19. I've never had to take a shower where I peed in a hotel.

No thank you - never...

Reply to this post

Response to alarimer (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 PM

16. Absofreakinlutely.

I would spend the entire time circling the upper deck, thinking about how to get off the damn thing. I'd much sooner stay home and enjoy my own cooking. How good can it be when you cook for 3000? Honestly.

Total pass. You couldn't pay me to get on one of those things.

However, I would like to do the really small european riverboat cruises. Only 20-30 cabins, and the chef is at your disposal. Pull up at a new ancient city every morning and get the hell off and go sight-seeing. Then, while sleeping, let them pilot me to the next city. Now, that's cruising.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:23 PM

8. Poseidon adventure did it for me.

You laugh, but it's true

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:28 PM

10. Just like a hotel; the customers should never see the "back of the house".

The kitchen, laundry, HVAC rooms, etc.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:32 PM

12. The reason they are registered in foreign countries is because....

1) taxes.
2) labor laws.

I believe for a ship to be registered in the United States, practically the entire crew have to be American. It's part of the Jones Act.

Reply to this post

Response to davidn3600 (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 PM

13. Yes you are right

The crew has to be 75% American or immigrants, the ship has to be made in the US and any repairs have to take place in the US. I just wrote a paper on the Jones Act a month ago. The professor I took the class from wrote a book about it and we plan on publishing a paper together on the subject.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:47 PM

14. Why they are towing to Mobile.

The Mexican Navy offered the Naval Yards in Veracruz (might come as a surprise, but Mexico as actual shipyards). Under International law they were also required, but it was the closest port with repair facilities.

They just threatened, which they were justified, with a top down safety review. This is the third of these in two years in Mexican waters. The one off Baja, the closest port with facilities was San Diego, we all get it.

Mobile here we go, a safety review done by naval technicians might end up with the Admiralty Court.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:54 PM

21. Maybe because of passport issues ......

Passports are not required for closed loop cruises in the western hemisphere. Many of the passengers probably didn't spend the $$$ for a passport if not needed for the cruise. They would, however, need one to fly from Mexico back to the US. Big logistic problem. I sure would not want to take a bus from Vera Cruz to Texas. But I wouldn't travel without a passport.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 PM

17. just personal preference, but a cruise is the very last thing my wife and I would want to do....

Seems like it would be little but an endless feeding trough.....and with far too many people.

We have friends who love them, and that's great - just not for us!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:31 PM

18. Used to fly a lot of folks from LGA/JFK/BOS/PHL to FLL for Carnival cruises.

Ft. Liquordale, we called it. They went down happy, and came back sad (and often very broke).

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:48 PM

20. I live within 45 mins of 3 awesome TVA

lakes, umpteen pristine rivers/streams, tons of nature and wildlife. The "cruise lines" can go pound sand for all I care. They offer nothing compared to what we experice in our canoes. But I digress, I'm part Cherokee, Mrs. Titan is part Creek Indian.
The perfect date for her is to head to the creeks after dark with a flashlight and watch the crawdads devour her meat offerings! The little guys come out at night when the red-eye bass can't see them. The river floor teems with life when Nature's night-shift clocks in.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:39 PM

22. Don't book yourself in the Ted Nugent suite

n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:44 PM

23. Don't get me started on cruise ships.

Alaskans passed a voter initiative in 2006 requiring the cruise ships coming into Alaska's waters to clean up their acts as far as their dumping was concerned. Despite the industry spending millions of dollars to defeat it, it passed, a victory for clean water. Now, the Republican controlled legislature and our asshole governor are rolling back the safeguards that we voted on so overwhelmingly.

Read more here:

http://www.adn.com/2013/02/13/2788299/cruise-ship-wastewater-bill-survives.html and related stories linked at the right of that article.

The villain here is Princess Lines.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread