HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Simply Orange ... i...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:00 PM

"Simply Orange ... is actually a creepy, Frankenstein-ian creation of Coca-Cola"

Last edited Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:56 PM - Edit history (1)

I imagine if I lived in a different part of the country, had a few unruly kids and cared only for the price/convenience matrix most of the country lives by, I would, like millions of Americans, buy giant tubs of “All Natural” and “Grove Made” and “Sunshine-Licked” and whatever else the misleading label claimed, thinking it fine, good enough, hey the kids like it and who has the time to worry about juice?

I most certainly would not know that something like Simply Orange, which sounds so chaste and humble, is actually a creepy, Frankenstein-ian creation of the Coca-Cola corporation, and the manufacture of Simply Orange is one of the most ginormous, technologically advanced, hyperindustrial processes you can imagine, and that this anything-but-simple process is sort of terrifying and miraculous and sad, all at once. Thanks, BusinessWeek, for enlightening/depressing me all over again. You rock.

http://blog.sfgate.com/morford/2013/02/12/you-and-your-terrifying-orange-juice/

22 replies, 3078 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Simply Orange ... is actually a creepy, Frankenstein-ian creation of Coca-Cola" (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2013 #1
backscatter712 Feb 2013 #10
Taverner Feb 2013 #21
TroglodyteScholar Feb 2013 #2
backscatter712 Feb 2013 #14
TroglodyteScholar Feb 2013 #17
backscatter712 Feb 2013 #18
TroglodyteScholar Feb 2013 #19
Rosco T. Feb 2013 #3
ChisolmTrailDem Feb 2013 #6
ChisolmTrailDem Feb 2013 #4
backscatter712 Feb 2013 #9
Robb Feb 2013 #20
HappyMe Feb 2013 #5
tkmorris Feb 2013 #7
RebelOne Feb 2013 #13
tkmorris Feb 2013 #16
sinkingfeeling Feb 2013 #8
Puzzledtraveller Feb 2013 #11
backscatter712 Feb 2013 #12
LiberalAndProud Feb 2013 #15
GaYellowDawg Feb 2013 #22

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:24 PM

1. OMG! Blending orange juices sure is creepy, eh?

Sometimes, Morford can be a right pillock. This is one of those times. So orange juice brands blend different batches of oranges to keep to the characteristics their market research tells them will sell best? Stop the presses. I'm sure that, in future years, 'Frankenstein-ian' will drop out of use as a word, to be replaced by the far more terrifying 'Simple Orangian' ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:11 PM

10. Have you seen or read about the processing that "not-from-concentrate" orange juice goes through?

Granted, the article in the OP does not adequately describe that process.

Here's an article with a better description.

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/29/oj-flavor-packs/

There’s a dirty secret in your glass of orange juice. Even though it says “not from concentrate,” it probably sat in a large vat for up to year with all the oxygen removed from it. This allows it to be preserved and dispensed all year-round. Taking out all the O2 also gets rid of all the flavor. So the juice makers have to add the flavors back in using preformulated recipes full of chemicals called “flavor packs.” Mmm, delicious, fresh-squeezed ethyl-butyrate!

Author Aliissa Hamilton covers this in her book, “Squeezed: What You Don’t Know About Orange Juice.” Of her findings, she writes on the Civl Eats blog:

Juice companies therefore hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that formulate perfumes for Dior and Calvin Klein, to engineer flavor packs to add back to the juice to make it taste fresh. Flavor packs aren’t listed as an ingredient on the label because technically they are derived from orange essence and oil. Yet those in the industry will tell you that the flavor packs, whether made for reconstituted or pasteurized orange juice, resemble nothing found in nature. The packs added to juice earmarked for the North American market tend to contain high amounts of ethyl butyrate, a chemical in the fragrance of fresh squeezed orange juice that, juice companies have discovered, Americans favor.

Basically, you're drinking re-flavored sugar-water that at one point was orange juice.

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:25 PM

21. I just want to know what's in the "flavor pack"

Problem with GMOs is we don't know the long term effects

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:35 PM

2. There's no "there" there...

What's shocking about any of this? Coca-Cola does everything they can to provide a product with consistent characteristics year round? For shame!

Reply to this post

Response to TroglodyteScholar (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:17 PM

14. Mmmm, consistently re-flavored deoxygenated sugar-water! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:53 PM

17. Was anyone actually under the impression...

...that there's some guy squeezing oranges directly into the Simply Orange jugs? Gimme a break.

Reply to this post

Response to TroglodyteScholar (Reply #17)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 PM

18. Coca-Cola does call the stuff "Orange Juice". n/t

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #18)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:10 PM

19. And so do all the other "orange juice" companies.

If you're aware of one that has a guy squeezing oranges into jugs, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 01:43 PM

3. Absolute Horseshit... cry wolf when you see a rabbit...

read the bloomburg article and absolutely nothing 'frankenstein' in it.. note the OP left off the first paragraph of the blog..

"Confession! I do not drink much orange juice. I do not ever buy those giant, brightly colored cartoon jugs that look like caricatures of life, those carefully molded plastic things covered in scripty fonts and clip-art trees and pretty, hyper-saturated oranges made to look as if your own exploited Mexican laborer picked them five minutes ago and squeezed them into a drinking glass just for you, and then died."

so he knows nothing, has nothing to do but disparage those that do drink juice..

worthless, useless and fear-mongering.

Reply to this post

Response to Rosco T. (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:13 PM

6. I would bet that the writer was experiencing writer's block when

he glanced over to see a Simply Orange commercial on his muted TV and a light bulb went on over his head.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:02 PM

4. The article is a diatribe that never got around to describing the nature

of the Simply Orange manufacturing process, which it seemed to have promised at the outset. Indeed, since I am a consumer of Simply Orange, I was expecting to learn more about it but the article turned into a mini-treatise against food manufacturing that offered no cheese to go with the whine.

Reply to this post

Response to ChisolmTrailDem (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:08 PM

9. Fair point, because the manufacture of "fresh-squeezed" orange juice is Frankensteinian.

Here's a article that describes the processing of "not-from-concentrate" orange juice.

http://civileats.com/2009/05/06/freshly-squeezed-the-truth-about-orange-juice-in-boxes/

TL/DR: They strip the oxygen from the juice in the vat, which also strips the juice of flavor. At that point, it's nothing but sugar-water. Then, when they bottle/box it, they add perfumes and flavorings to the "juice" to make it taste sort of like orange juice again.

Reply to this post

Response to backscatter712 (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:13 PM

20. OMG they strip the OXYGEN!!

Seriously, have you ever canned fruit?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:09 PM

5. Good grief!

That was a whole bunch of blathering about nothing.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:24 PM

7. There is nothing whatever unusual about this juice

It's true that some people, when they are actually told how it is made, are surprised. They shouldn't be. Do you really believe that the details of how virtually any product available in your local supermarket are substantially less complex? Track your meat back to it's source sometime. Hell, check out how any of the other juice products on the same shelf as Simply Orange are produced.

This is a hit piece on Coca Cola. It's odd because this is a company that richly deserves to be exposed for some of their business practices but the methods used to bring this juice to the shelves are not one of them.

Reply to this post

Response to tkmorris (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:14 PM

13. Gotta agree. I have tried it and it is quite good,

but the price is too high. I could buy 100% Florida orange juice much cheaper.

Reply to this post

Response to RebelOne (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 PM

16. LOL, same here

I live in SoFla. We have an Orange tree in our back yard.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:48 PM

8. I agree with Mark completely. I hate this continuing homogenizing of everything in this

country and the irrational fear of anything or anybody or any belief that doesn't conform. If you want to eat this junk, more power to you.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:12 PM

11. Sunshine Licked!

I'd love to have my sunshine licked!!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:13 PM

12. Mmm, de-oxygenated, de-flavored, then re-flavored sugar water!!!

It's a substance that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike orange juice!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:28 PM

15. Sunny Delight is orange.

But there aren't many oranges in it. I'm sure that's much better for us.

Ingredients: Water, High Fructose, Corn Syrup and 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Concentrated Juices (Orange, Tangerine, Apple, Lime, Grapefruit). Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Beta-Carotene, Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Natural Flavors, Food Starch-Modified, Canola Oil, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Benzoate To Protect Flavor, Yellow #5, Yellow #6

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:20 AM

22. That entire line is terrible.

There's Simply Orange, Simply Lime, etc. What all of it should be named is "Simply Awful."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread