HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This video made me cry - ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:59 PM

This video made me cry - selfishly. It shows the destruction of what I posted about a month ago

Here is the video of the destruction:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013302120024
what makes me sad is that history is being eradicated.

Here's the post I made after Christmas:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/103612782

The post wasn't a real show stopper. But the fact that I was able to crawl all over the place and take the photos, and now it's all destroyed makes me sad and I want some company in the mourning.

10 replies, 1142 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply This video made me cry - selfishly. It shows the destruction of what I posted about a month ago (Original post)
Mira Feb 2013 OP
Mojorabbit Feb 2013 #1
OriginalGeek Feb 2013 #2
FLyellowdog Feb 2013 #3
Isoldeblue Feb 2013 #4
Mira Feb 2013 #5
Isoldeblue Feb 2013 #6
Mira Feb 2013 #7
Isoldeblue Feb 2013 #8
Isoldeblue Feb 2013 #10
quaker bill Feb 2013 #9

Response to Mira (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:15 PM

1. I remember your post.

I am sending you a big

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:18 PM

2. I remember that post too

I remember the pics. At least there is a record of the art work but yeah, it kinda sucks.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:34 PM

3. Born and raised just over the hill

in Haywood County. You were brave to go inside to save a record of the old building...glorious photos.

Sending hugs.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM

4. I'm crying with you

I hate to see old buildings taken down, even when it's for some right reasons. Oh, if only the walls could talk... Standing in an old building like that can make me feel pretty mystical, sometimes.

You took some excellent photos. Thank you. I love to see fascinating graffiti from talented artists.

And I adore Ashville, NC. I lived in Winston-Salem for 10 years and went to Ashville every chance I got. It's a lovely city with a great vibe and wonderful people. We always ate at the Blue Moon bakery - YUM! We had planned to retire there, but life happens when you're making plans.

I was told by some there, that I was a half-back .... Lived up north all my life, moved down to Fl, hated it, and moved half way back up north, to NC....

I would give anything almost to be back living there. But we're here (FL again) with family and 4 beautiful grandchildren

Reply to this post

Response to Isoldeblue (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM

5. AWWWE thanks for understanding so well.

I live in Winston-Salem now. Probably for the rest of my life. My son and his family are in Asheville, and the Blue Spiral Gallery and the Blue Moon Bakery are real concepts to us.
I am a frequent visitor to Florida. Drive through to the Keys - whenever I can - for instance, and have BEST friends in Sarasota.
We have a lot in common....
Thanks for your comments. I'm heart broken mostly because it was too dangerous for me at my age and with nobody gutsy enough to come with me, to explore the place truly properly.
So I'm left with gratitude to have seen what to me is absolutely beautiful.

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:12 PM

6. That age thang

will get you every time. I deal with that too, now. I heard it happens to the very best of us

I would have gone with you to explore there. I have a larger sense of adventure than my body of 66 allows me, but I still would have tried.
Btw, I love WS too and miss some good friends from there. We had a great little house on 2 1/2 acres of hard woods near Bethabara.

A restaurant there closed and it was a huge disappointment. The California Fresh Buffet on Peter's Creek Pkwy. What an amazing dining experience! If you ever ate there, you know what I mean.

I miss all the free music concerts all week during the spring and summer, among so much else. Between all the great restaurants, shops and museums there, it was a great place to live.

Living here in Pensacola, I feel like a fish out of water. I'm so glad I found DU with like-minded people here - like you.

Reply to this post

Response to Isoldeblue (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:26 PM

7. YEAH about the California Fresh Buffet less than a mile from my house!!!!

It was great - run by volunteers - profits to the needy! And nothing of its kind has replaced it.

Next time I'm near Pensacola - can I stop in?

The folks too scared to go in with me where in their late thirties, and it made me all but throw up. Of course they were those who live there and knew "it was dangerous". So what!
God - to be that age again.

I live here on DU but mostly on the photo forum. So Bethabara and the swamp out on Reynolda Road have been quite represented on DU with my photos.

I think W-S and environs are really good. But so is everything else.
I think it was Picasso who said: "Happiness is where I am".

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:37 PM

8. Yes, Yes and Yes!! You would be very welcome!

Don't forget the live music provided by the workers! I can never hear "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", without thinking of the CFB! And having a medical doctor sauteing up some chicken for me custom- made! What memories!

I'll have to go check your photos. Lot's of history there.

Feel free to email me, if you are inclined.

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:14 PM

10. One more thing about WS

Your comment about the swamp (around the corner, not far from where we lived) cracked me up. Our oldest son is in environmental water management and every time he'd come to visit us, we usually would drive by there in our travels. Every time he saw it he would scowl and say, "what a mess"!
Now that's "beauty in the eye of the beholder", for ya!

I've lurked though some of your photos in the group and you have an amazing eye!

Made me homesick. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM

9. I had seen that place

In my stops in the RAD on my way to 12 bones or the Clingman Cafe. I had wondered if anyone would take it on as a rehab because the work needed seemed so extensive. I guess I know the answer now. I love the RAD and have been sorely tempted to attempt to retire in the area. It is looking less like I can swing the price with time.

The potentially cool bit for me is that a town here in FL brought the founders of the RAD in as consultants to build an art making district in a defunct light industrial area. About a year in and it is just starting to take off. Serious artists are buying up the entire warehouses at used car prices. There are now hot glass facilities as well as painters and ceramics artists, two new micro-brews and a couple of trendy cafe's. It seems something like where Asheville was 20 years back, and I can buy in near the bottom. I have seen acceptable houses at less than the price of a modest domestic luxury car.

I have done two art festivals there and will do one more in three weeks. My work seems to sell well there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread