HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I've been invited to a Di...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:07 PM

I've been invited to a Dinner with Steven Colbert, in support of his Sister's campaign...

Only problem is 1) I don't like Steven Colbert (or to be precise, I don't find his show entertaining, since you really can't parody Bill O'Reilly better than Bill does it himself), and 2) his sister is running in SC-1, which is a R+11 Solid Republican district.

21 replies, 1317 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've been invited to a Dinner with Steven Colbert, in support of his Sister's campaign... (Original post)
brooklynite Feb 2013 OP
sharp_stick Feb 2013 #1
RandiFan1290 Feb 2013 #16
blm Feb 2013 #2
tabbycat31 Feb 2013 #5
brooklynite Feb 2013 #13
blm Feb 2013 #15
NightWatcher Feb 2013 #3
HereSince1628 Feb 2013 #7
Cleita Feb 2013 #4
blm Feb 2013 #6
Cleita Feb 2013 #8
Zorra Feb 2013 #9
SCantiGOP Feb 2013 #10
GoCubsGo Feb 2013 #12
SCantiGOP Feb 2013 #19
GoCubsGo Feb 2013 #20
SCantiGOP Feb 2013 #21
PotatoChip Feb 2013 #14
Dollface Feb 2013 #11
renate Feb 2013 #18
HappyMe Feb 2013 #17

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM

1. So don't go

that was easy huh?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sharp_stick (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:51 PM

16. But everyone loves their own brand!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:23 PM

2. Either we fight for EVERY district or we roll over. I'm afighting for this one.

We lost a couple seats here in NC because of that type of thinking last year, as the races turned out to be way closer. What if Dems as a party had FOUGHT instead of giving up right out of the starting blocks?

Reply to this post

Response to blm (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:31 PM

5. +1

There was a race in NY two years ago where nobody said the Democrats had a chance and I called it back in February. The Democrats won (however could not keep the seat last November).

Reply to this post

Response to blm (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:10 PM

13. How much cash do you have?

I'm allowed to give $48,600 to ALL candidates for the 2014 Election. If I give money to her, that money is not available to another candidate in a competitive race. Which candidate should I skip over?

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 PM

15. My point is that these races are more competitive than many think.

I'm not telling you where to spend your money, I'm responding to your original post with why I think it DOES matter to support Dem candidates even in GOP skewed districts.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:25 PM

3. Save your $ for serious candidates in serious races

Reply to this post

Response to NightWatcher (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 PM

7. Forcing r's to raise and spend money in every race is important

The r's have a solid advantage in money, making them spend it everywhere literally spreads that advantagee as thin as possible, reducing to some extent their ability to target the competitive races with their spending.

It's often hard to find folks willing to run against overwhelming odds, losing is rather unrewarding, but it's needed. Local organization is important to all levels of races, and having dem candidates in as many races as possible build that organization in as many locales as possible.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:27 PM

4. Is she running as a Dem or Repub?

If she's running as a Dem I would support her even in a solid Republican district.

Reply to this post

Response to Cleita (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:34 PM

6. She's a Dem. Too many of these seats are being being abandoned by Democratic party.

Too many Dem party officials act as if 2006 and 2008 never happened.

Reply to this post

Response to blm (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM

8. We have the same situation here. Congressman Kevin McCarthy has run

virtually unchallenged in a strong Repub district here in California for the last decade. He really hasn't been elected in most of that time because no one has challenged him either in the primaries or general election. He was groomed by Congressman Bill Thomas as his successor. So basically he has risen to where he is like a prince would inherit his father's throne. Yet, he's the third most powerful Republican in the House today just behind Cantor and Boehner. This man is basically a king of his district, of which I was once part of. Thank God, they changed the gerrymandering laws here in California and I now am in a district with Democrat, one that was elected in a fair election. However, he's still in Congress, but really has not been elected except for the first time. I worked for the Democratic challenger back then, but she wasn't a strong candidate and our Democratic headquarters here haven't supported a candidate since then to run against him. I think it's tragic and undermines our Democracy.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM

9. Don't go. Judging from your posts, I suspect your political compass is probably way too Third Way

Conservative for you to have any fun at this event.

So, anyway...can I have pleeeease have your invitation?

Reply to this post

Response to Zorra (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:54 PM

10. No invitation needed

The information about the fund raiser in NYC and one in Charleston SC is in the paper. Before you write off this district, know that an openly gay woman lost to now-Senator Tim Scott by about 4%, and the likely GOP nominee is going to be former Gov Mark "the Appalachian Trail" Sanford who might be forgiven for adultery but not for how he humiliated his wife and four sons by calling his Argentine mistress his "soul mate." Not to mention that he plead guilty to about 70 ethics violations and had to pay tens of thousands of dollars in penalties. I have been in several business situations with Ms. Colbert-Bush and she is one sharp lady. She heads up a wind power equipment testing and R&D facility near the Port of Charleston.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:08 PM

12. Yep.

There may be some districts in this state that might be "written off", but that is not one of them. Especially if Gov. Lover Boy is involved. It would almost be worth taking advantage of the state's open primaries to cross over and vote for that jerk--if Stephen's sister is the only Dem in the race.

I have to wonder how many will vote for Mrs. Colbert-Busch, believing that her brother really IS a right-winger. LOL! There are still plenty of them around who don't understand that her brother's schtick is just a schtick.

Reply to this post

Response to GoCubsGo (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 PM

19. she's basically the only Dem running

There was another viable candidate, but he dropped out and endorsed her yesterday, saying he did not want to dilute Dem resources in a primary fight and she had the better chance. There is still a guy in the race who has run every time for the last 20 years or so, and has never gotten over 25% of the vote.
The pitiful thing is my Congressman is Joe "you lie" Wilson, and he didn't even have an opponent this year. I send him a letter at least once a month, pointing out that what Obama "lied" about (that his health care plan would cover undocumented aliens) has never happened and is specifically banned by the law. I'm sure his staff throws them away unopened now. I don't even get the usual "thank you so much for the input" bullshit response anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #19)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:37 PM

20. He's my Congressman, too.

I wrote in someone, rather than leave it blank, which I consider a vote for him. Sadly, he is still better than the turd I had before redistricting, Tim Duncan. He is more than a few French fries short of a Happy Meal.

Reply to this post

Response to GoCubsGo (Reply #20)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 10:28 AM

21. she debated the other Dem last night

She said we needed to use the Newtown outrage to get background checks and other sensible gun safety law passed. The jackass who runs every time said that anyone should be able to buy an assault rifle as long as they had common sense. That's an easy standard to enforce.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:12 PM

14. Good info. Thanks.

Sounds like an excellent candidate. I hope she wins.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 PM

11. You should go. I don't think you'll be dining with the character unless there is a performance

scheduled. He is smart, witty and well read. I think he would be an excellent dining companion.

Reply to this post

Response to Dollface (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:58 PM

18. I second that opinion

He's obviously super intelligent, but I've also read that he's super nice.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:56 PM

17. I would go.

I'm sure there will be plenty of witty, smart people there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread