HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » College to add "job ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:48 PM

College to add "job readiness" scores to transcripts

Transcript for Work

The rap on college transcripts is that they don’t tell employers much, thanks to grade inflation and the failure of conventional grades to predict performance on the job. So to try to give their students' transcripts more heft, a two-year college in Missouri now includes not only their grades, but a job readiness score and their attendance rate as well.

Linn State Technical College’s employability rating is fairly extensive. Instructors assign a “job readiness work ethic score” to students in six areas: safety, trust, timeliness, work habits, interpersonal and citizenship. Those scores are listed on transcripts and added together for an overall final grade, all of which employers can see, along with ratings for attendance and, of course, academic grades.

Job readiness is scored on a four-point scale. For example, a student must be described as “respectful” and “polite” to land a four in the interpersonal category. Lack of civility and the use of “slurs,” conversely, are on the checklist for a zero in interpersonal. As for safety, which is optional for general education courses, students get points for looking out for the safety of themselves and others, and score worse for the careless use of tools and equipment.

The college rates students' attendance on a 1 to 100 percentage scale.

Linn State is among few colleges that have attempted to signal workplace readiness to employers. One similar effort is underway at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, which is located in North Carolina and this year plans to begin issuing grades and certificates for “soft skills,” like punctuality and working well in groups.

Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/12/technical-college-puts-job-readiness-and-attendance-scores-transcripts#ixzz2KhyB4LZq
Inside Higher Ed

6 replies, 677 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply College to add "job readiness" scores to transcripts (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
enlightenment Feb 2013 #1
SheilaT Feb 2013 #2
kiva Feb 2013 #3
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 #4
liberal_at_heart Feb 2013 #5
WinkyDink Feb 2013 #6

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM

1. I seem to recall when things like

punctuality and working well with others was taught in primary school.

Now I'm expected to teach that to college students? And assess their performance so they'll be ready to work?

Take attendance? Fine. I do that - and if they miss too many classes, they're penalized for it . . . same thing for turning assignments in late. There's a point penalty involved. If they use slang or profanity in a paper, they're penalized - that isn't formal writing. If they make a nasty comment to someone in class (I can't recall it ever happening) I would call them out on it, then and there.

But the rest of this? Are they out of their fecking minds?? If my college start doing this, I'm going to demand that the department spring for poster paper and gold stars . . . or maybe I should go with happy face/frowny face stickers instead? Stars are a bit judgmental . . .

Sorry, they aren't paying me enough for for this. College students are supposed to be adults. If they haven't figured out to behave like adults instead of hyenas then they need to figure it out - but college is LONG past the time when it should be taught.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:22 PM

2. How true.

Plus, as someone who has attended college on and off my entire adult life, in most classes the teachers, even the very good ones, don't have enough interaction with the students to make those kinds of assessments.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:39 PM

3. Sending a message to students

and professors about what's really important about college

Reply to this post

Response to kiva (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 PM

4. yup

Reply to this post

Response to kiva (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:28 PM

5. yeah, the ability to do what you're told

Just what the 1%ers want.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:59 PM

6. The key word here is "Technical." But hey: I student-taught in a University program.

So there ya go for "job readiness."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread