HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » For your amusement, and (...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:39 PM

For your amusement, and (hopefully) my education

Ok, seen on Facebook, a meme quoting Senator Feinstein as saying, this regarding the Dorner manhunt:

“When the gunman realizes that nobody else is armed, he will lay down his weapons and turn himself in…. that’s just human nature.”

With a link to a blog post on a site called "Palookaville Post". (I'm not wanting to give a link because it's obviously a RW nutjob site. If you really want to find the post, google is your friend. The date of the post is 2/7/13.)

Now, it's obvious to me that the article is bullshit. There is no actual reference for the remarks. The post actually says this - emphasis added -

“The Senators feel the best course of action is to remove all weapons from law enforcement and private citizens so no one else gets hurt,” said a Senate communications intern. “When the gunman realizes that nobody else is armed, he will lay down his weapons and turn himself in…. that’s just human nature.”

Also ... what the heck is this site anyway?

At least one comment says it is satire, like The Onion. I have seen elsewhere that it isn't credible. (It is obvious to me from the writing that it isn't credible. But nice to know that others feel the same way.)

BUT...

some people are clearly taking this seriously. Yes, people who are disposed to think that this would come from Feinstein (Boxer is also referenced), but I mean, come on people. Give a legitimate quote or get off it.

So, anyway, my question to you all ...

1) anyone have any categorical info on just how whacked this site is, that might convince someone who, although conservative, still has a few functioning brain cells left?

2) can anyone give me a good link for a concise statement of how to evaluate information on the internet? In one of my college classes they gave 5 things - stuff like currency (is it recent?), credibility of source, authority of source (is it in their field of expertise?), and known bias, and I can't remember the other one - I'd flunk that test today, but "I know it when I see it", or at least I think so. Anyway I would love to have a good meme, cartoon, or something that I could post periodically when the frequency of idiocy in my newsfeed gets a little too high.

TIA for your help!

3 replies, 5125 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply For your amusement, and (hopefully) my education (Original post)
MH1 Feb 2013 OP
dogknob Feb 2013 #1
MH1 Feb 2013 #2
wandy Feb 2013 #3

Response to MH1 (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 PM

1. When speaking with conservatives, I have noticed that asking for "evidence" arouses suspicion.

"Evidence" and "facts" are things liberals use to keep us down, donchaknow?

I hope Nugent does something really stupid tonight.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dogknob (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 PM

2. I agree, but whatever stupid thing Nugent does,

I hope no one gets hurt. With him, I don't think that's a given.

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:18 PM

3. Not concise but.........

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

- Will Rogers

Other advice can be found here.
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Society/will-rogers-quotes.php

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread