HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 100,000+ Join Conservativ...

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:48 AM

100,000+ Join Conservative-Alternative to Facebook (Story update)

More than 100,000 people have joined a social networking site designed for conservatives who said they were tired of censorship and liberal bullying on Facebook.

The Tea Party Community launched nine days ago — and since then has experienced tremendous growth, founder Tim Selaty, Sr., told Fox News.

“I suppose that a lot of conservatives were looking for a new home,” he said. “(Conservatives) are flocking from Facebook in droves.”

Facebook did not return emails seeking comment.

Selaty created the Tea Party Community as a “safe haven for the conservative movement – where we can share ideas and thoughts and express ourselves without fear of retribution.”

“They have come to the Tea Party community to be in a relaxed and protected environment where they are not censored for having a different opinion or stance when it comes to their conservative beliefs,” Selaty said.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/todds-friends/100000-join-conservative-alternative-to-facebook.html

Yes, a link to fox news. But this is a Public Service Announcement (PSA) - pass this along to your rw friends on FB and perhaps they too will leave, making FB a better place for us all (not to mention you could join as well for some trolling fun).

11 replies, 1230 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply 100,000+ Join Conservative-Alternative to Facebook (Story update) (Original post)
The Straight Story Feb 2013 OP
Cigar11 Feb 2013 #1
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #2
NoGOPZone Feb 2013 #3
Kolesar Feb 2013 #4
OneGrassRoot Feb 2013 #6
OneGrassRoot Feb 2013 #5
Viva_La_Revolution Feb 2013 #7
OneGrassRoot Feb 2013 #8
ChoppinBroccoli Feb 2013 #9
AndyA Feb 2013 #10
The Straight Story Feb 2013 #11

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:51 AM

1. C-Yea

... everyone needs a good home.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 AM

2. They left because they thought THEY were being bullied???

Oh THAT'S rich.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM

3. "Fear of retribution" meaning "I don't want to be confronted with the facts." nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 AM

4. Newspaper and network articles won't link to this "social network"

Articles have links to FB, twitter, Pinterest, etc.
TP-book is going to sputter for that reason.

Reply to this post

Response to Kolesar (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:13 AM

6. Yeah, I noticed that as well. What's up with that?

I ended up joining the site last night for the reason given below but had to Google it to find the website addy.

That's weird to me.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:11 AM

5. I checked it out last night...

I was skeptical that they had that many members but they really do.

I was also curious because it appeared they're using a similar platform to what I use at www.wishadoo.org, which is also a social networking site at heart. It's just uber customized with lots of tools to come together and do good.

Sure enough, they're using the same, uncustomized platform and have a lot of activity.

I perused their forum discussions and quickly logged off when I saw a discussion about a "Gay ID card to protect our children."

The one positive thing I noticed was people saying they're tired of online communities being about bitching and moaning. They want to DO something.

Granted, what they want to DO may scare me...I don't know what they were referring to...but I appreciated the sentiment nonetheless.

Trying to gather people of like mind to DO things...positive action...at Wishadoo! and having little response is disheartening, especially in contrast to what they've built in a matter of months. Sure, they have financial backing and PR from Fox and similar conservative sites, but it still makes me sad that more people aren't willing to come together to brainstorm and take action in a variety of ways to make daily life better, for ourselves and others.

Okay, so now I'm just contributing to the bitching and moaning online. LOL.

Back to work for me!

EDIT TO ADD that I realize political sites naturally generate more activity, and that's essentially what they are.

Reply to this post

Response to OneGrassRoot (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 AM

7. I tell everybody I know about Wishadoo!

mostly people in need of help, but some that are in the position to help too. Hang in there, you're one of my heroes

oh, that matter we discussed a few weeks ago is still in process. the wheels of justice turn ever so slowwwwlly.. will let you know as soon as it's go-time.

Reply to this post

Response to Viva_La_Revolution (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:25 AM

8. Thank you!

I really appreciate that.

Please do keep me posted.

Continued to you.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:25 AM

9. Oh, Those Poor, Downtrodden Conservatives!

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how the members of the "Party of Personal Responsibility," the one that tells you if you have bad circumstances in your life, it's your own dumb fault and you just have to dry your tears, buck up little buttercup, and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, so readily throw that big, ol' albatross around their OWN necks and cry, "Poor, poor me!!! I'm a VICTIM!!!"

Waaaaahhhhhh!!! I can't have everything MY way, so I'm just going to take my ball and go home! I don't like it when the teevee box tells me things that contradict my worldview, so I have to have a news channel that feeds me propaganda 24 hours a day. I don't like it when the teachings of my chosen religion contradict with my beliefs, so I'm going to re-write it so it does. I don't like it when American voters don't vote the way I want them to, so I'm going to threaten to leave the country or demand that my State secede from the Union. I don't like it when my family and friends prove my archaic/dowright stupid beliefs wrong online in front of everyone, so I'll just go over to a community where no one will ever disagree with me. I must be constantly shrouded with the reassuring knowledge that my beliefs will never, ever be challenged within a little conservative bubble forever! Thinking is not for me. Being told what I believe and then parroting it back to people who will not challenge me on it is the ONLY way I can exist!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:50 AM

10. Translation: "safe haven for the conservative movement..." = no reality

They hear what they want to hear. The "facts" reinforce their racist, hateful beliefs. When they say they don't want "government run health care," no one will point out to them that their Medicare is government run health care. Ted Nugent can be a hero, instead of the draft-evading traitor he truly is.

In the phony conservative world that is Tea Party politics, truth and reality are not welcome.

Reply to this post

Response to AndyA (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 AM

11. It's like election 2012 all over again, in their bubble once more

Eventually reality will swing by and pop it

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread