HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Texas: DNA Test Leads to ...

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 AM

Texas: DNA Test Leads to Freedom After 30 Years

A 58-year-old man who served nearly 30 years in prison on a murder conviction has been freed after DNA testing pointed to another man as the culprit. The convict, Randolph Arledge, was allowed to go free on Monday by a judge in Corsicana, about 50 miles southeast of Dallas.

Mr. Arledge was convicted in 1984 of stabbing Carolyn Armstrong more than 40 times and leaving her body on a dirt road. He was sentenced to 99 years. But prosecutors and Mr. Arledge’s lawyers with the Innocence Project agreed that he should be released after DNA tests on a hairnet found in Ms. Armstrong’s car turned up a near-perfect match for another man, who is still at large.

Judge James Lagomarsino agreed with the lawyers and will recommend to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals that the conviction be formally overturned. Mr. Arledge also served a sentence for armed robbery during part of his time in prison.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/us/texas-dna-test-leads-to-freedom-after-30-years.html

4 replies, 625 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas: DNA Test Leads to Freedom After 30 Years (Original post)
n2doc Feb 2013 OP
SouthernLiberal Feb 2013 #1
ChoppinBroccoli Feb 2013 #2
surrealAmerican Feb 2013 #3
mnmoderatedem Feb 2013 #4

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:52 AM

1. This is pretty much what we should expect

When there is pressure on police and prosecutors to 'get convictions'. We watch TV shows that present the police officer's feelings as always correct. The police 'just know' who is guilty, and lo and behold, they will find evidence that proves it. Even in the news, we are often presented with a victim's or their family's personal conviction that some individual is guilty, as if these feeling were evidence.

As much as we might feel happy for the man who was finally freed because 30 years later they found that he really was innocent, I think this is also a story of poor police work, and failure to protect a community. Because the police and prosecutors could 'make a case' against an innocent man, they let the actual criminal get away with it.

Was he a one-time killer? Has he killed again? Will he ever be caught and convicted? Who knows, with all the evidence 30 years old?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SouthernLiberal (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:33 AM

2. This Is Also The Result Of Living In A Police State

This is pretty much the only country in the world where the people trust the police. In general, people in this country tend to identify more with Prosecutors than defense attorneys, as well. I've had many people ask me how I can defend "those people" and wouldn't I REALLY rather be locking them up rather than setting them free to go commit more crimes. I've heard many people say that Constitutional Rights guaranteed to everyone by the 4th and 5th Amendments, "only protect criminals" and should be severely curtailed, if not eliminated altogether. The sad truth is that in this country, it's no longer, "Innocent until proven guilty." The reality of the situation is that in order to prevail in a criminal trial, you have to provide OVERWHELMING proof of innocence, and even THEN your chances are slim. Why? Because the first thing you learn as a criminal defense attorney is that jurors will almost always trust the word of a uniformed cop on the stand. And why is that? Because we've all been taught growing up that the nice policeman is your friend. Why, he's a Great American HERO! And the guy over there at the defense table...........he's just a CRIMINAL. Why bother even HAVING a trial? We all know that the police wouldn't have charged him with a crime if he weren't guilty.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 AM

3. more good work by the Innocence Project

kick

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:48 AM

4. another guy who should have been executed!

Fry 'em all! If one or two here and there turn out to be innocent, what the hey? Overall it's for the common good right?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread