HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A dirty game: Match-fixin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:19 AM

A dirty game: Match-fixing is endemic in soccer

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC_THE_DIRTY_GAME?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-02-12-06-16-08

Feb 12, 6:16 AM EST
Soccer faces epic fight against match-fixing
By SHEILA NORMAN-CULP

ZURICH (AP) -- Soccer is falling under a cloud of suspicion as never before, sullied by a multibillion-dollar web of match-fixing that is corrupting increasingly larger parts of the world's most popular sport.

Internet betting, emboldened criminal gangs and even the economic downturn have created conditions that make soccer - or football, as the sport is called around the world - a lucrative target.

Known as "the beautiful game" for its grace, athleticism and traditions of fair play, soccer is under threat of becoming a dirty game.

"Football is in a disastrous state," said Chris Eaton, director of sport integrity at the International Centre for Sport Security. "Fixing of matches for criminal gambling fraud purposes is absolutely endemic worldwide ... arrogantly happening daily."

2 replies, 551 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A dirty game: Match-fixing is endemic in soccer (Original post)
jsr Feb 2013 OP
MrYikes Feb 2013 #1
sadbear Feb 2013 #2

Response to jsr (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:38 AM

1. I try to watch soccer often, but

because I have seen enough to convince me that it is just another pro wrestling type sport, I have begun to watch only college women s soccer. It is pure clean and fun to watch.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jsr (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:50 AM

2. Money corrupts everything that's worth a damn.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread