HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Black 7-Year-Old Genius I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:39 PM

Black 7-Year-Old Genius Invents Mobile Video Game

Feb 6, 2013
ByMichael H. Cottman

Zora Ball, a 7-year-old prodigy, is the youngest person to create a mobile video game.

She’s in the first grade – and she’s black.

Zora is a high-tech kid in a high-tech world who is already a serious inventor in a competitive global marketplace.

The brilliant youngster from Philadelphia applied her math skills to design the video game using programming language Bootstrap, which is usually taught to older students — between the ages of 12 and 16 — to help them learn algebra.

Zora’s mobile game was introduced last month during the University of Pennsylvania’s Bootstrap Expo. She attends the Harambee Institute of Science and Technology, a charter school in Philadelphia and she also joins an after-school program called The STEMnasium Learning Academy, which also teaches students Mandarin.

Read the rest here:
http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2013/02/monday-open-thread-236/

Amazing!
This is why a good education matters.
Our Children are our most important asset. They will become an integral part of a brighter future.

For all of you that are jumping on the use of "Black" in the title of this OP.Just perhaps you should Follow the link..... see who Jack and Jill Politics is ( since they posted the Article)

This how they describe themselves

Who We Are

In the summer of 2006, Cheryl Contee, blogging under the pseudonym “Jill Tubman”, launched Jack & Jill Politics. Shortly after meeting at the then-YearlyKos Conference (now Netroots Nation), she brought on Baratunde Thurston aka “Jack Turner.” That was the summer Jack & Jill Politics was born.

Since that summer, our team has expanded to include several regular “front page” contributors, a growing roster of guest contributors representing affiliated organizations. Jack & Jill Politics is proud to have hundreds of engaged community members. We’ve won numerous awards for our work and JJP blog posts have influenced the national narrative and global dialogue on race and how African-Americans react to the issues of the day. Our coverage of the 2008 Democratic National Convention is now in the U.S. Library of Congress archives. Mainstream media sources around the world such as the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Guardian U.K., CNN, MSNBC, BBC Online/TV/Radio, Agence France Press, Al Jazeera and many more quote JJP contributors regularly.

Our goal at JJP is to provide a middle class African-American perspective on U.S. politics and to ameliorate the portrayal of African-Americans in the media. The majority of African-Americans are neither drug-dealing criminals nor super-elites like Oprah, Michael Jordan and Jay-Z. JJP seeks to provide the diverse viewpoints of the tax-paying, hard-working, engaged and patriotic African-American majority on current affairs and popular culture. At it’s best, JJP seeks to carry on the tradition of insightful social and political commentary in the spectrum of W.E.B. DuBois, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock and Wanda Sykes.

Jack and Jill Politics is not affiliated with Jack and Jill of America, Jack and Jill Magazine, “Jack and Jill Went Up the Hill to Fetch a Pail of Water” nor any of the other Jack and Jills out there on the Google. Just so you know. We prefer civil and intelligent discourse here —

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/who-we-are/

20 replies, 1787 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Black 7-Year-Old Genius Invents Mobile Video Game (Original post)
sheshe2 Feb 2013 OP
nadinbrzezinski Feb 2013 #1
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #11
frogmarch Feb 2013 #2
demwing Feb 2013 #16
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #3
demwing Feb 2013 #4
sheshe2 Feb 2013 #6
demwing Feb 2013 #7
sheshe2 Feb 2013 #14
demwing Feb 2013 #18
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #10
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #5
surrealAmerican Feb 2013 #8
demwing Feb 2013 #19
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #9
sheshe2 Feb 2013 #13
demwing Feb 2013 #17
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #20
Puzzledtraveller Feb 2013 #15
noiretextatique Feb 2013 #12

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:41 PM

1. You know what bothers me of the story?

The headline.

After that...go kid!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:48 PM

11. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:46 PM

2. " - and she's black."

So?

Great story otherwise.

Reply to this post

Response to frogmarch (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:43 PM

16. exactly

no really, nothing else to add down here...you nailed it.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:50 PM

3. Problems mount at charter school that doubled as nightclub (Philadelphia Inquirer, March 30, 2010)

Harambee Institute of Science and Technology Charter School

The problems facing Harambee Institute of Science and Technology Charter School go beyond allegations that it doubled as a nightclub on weekend nights.

City Controller Alan Butkovitz today announced that the woman serving as the West Philadelphia charter's business officer also was simultaneously listed as an employee at two other charter schools.

Rhonda Sharif, Butkovitz said, was paid a total of $183,108 in 2008 as an employee of all three schools and worked 463 days that year, according to records of the state school employees pension system.

The year before, Sharif collected $175,375 for working 624 days, the controller said…

http://charterschoolscandals.blogspot.com/2010/05/harambee-institute-of-science-and.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Who knew a school cafeteria could be so much fun?
A space where hundreds of Philadelphia charter school students have been eating their lunches during mundane weekdays has been doubling in its off-hours as nightclub, offering dancing and drinking despite an expired liquor license.

City and school officials are not happy about the arrangement between Club Damani and the Harambee Institute of Science and Technology Charter School, which serves about 450 children in kindergarten through eighth grade.

Superintendent Arlene Ackerman said in a letter to Harambee on Monday that "a school and a nightclub cannot coexist in the same space and (the arrangement) must cease immediately," according to a school district statement.

As a charter school, Harambee receives about $3.5 million annually in public funds but operates independently of the district. Officials at Harambee, which is on spring break this week, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

http://charterschoolscandals.blogspot.com/2010/05/harambee-institute-of-science-and.html

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:56 PM

4. But what color are her eyes?

these details are so pertinent to the story...

Reply to this post

Response to demwing (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM

6. Details are pertinent....

Please read my edit.

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:27 PM

7. First, thanks for sharing the story-it was inspiring

next (and last) it wasn't the title, it was the line "...and she's black." that caught my attention. It seemed like it was supposed to surprise the reader, but what's surprising about a genius who happens to be black?

Reply to this post

Response to demwing (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:38 PM

14. Thank you, demwing, for clarifying...

Tis not surprising to me at all, any more than the fact that she is a "female".

Thanks,
sheshe

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 07:02 PM

18. There's no reason to be suprised by either

and please don't take anything I wrote as being directed toward you, I appreciate the link and your editorial.

Reply to this post

Response to demwing (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:48 PM

10. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:57 PM

5. Pct. Free or Reduced Lunch: 12.3% (= very low for an urban public school) = this is why class

background matters.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:39 PM

8. She's a remarkable child, but ...

... this doesn't make much of a point about the "quality" of her school. Did she go from being an "ordinary" student at the beginning of the school year, to being a "genius inventor" in the middle of first grade? - of course not!

Reply to this post

Response to surrealAmerican (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 07:09 PM

19. It's as if you moved all the furniture in your home into one room

and then sat around saying what a wonderful room it was to have generated such a nice sofa and bedroom set.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:47 PM

9. Why is her race relevant?

Damned offensive.

Sorry, but this shit just prolongs the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz Clik (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 PM

13. I would call it Black Pride...

"We’ve won numerous awards for our work and JJP blog posts have influenced the national narrative and global dialogue on race and how African-Americans react to the issues of the day."

That is why it is relevant.

Do you also find it offensive, that they stated the child is "female"?

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:51 PM

17. But the referrence to her gender was only incendental

The article referred to the student as "her" but never went close to anything like "-and she's a girl!"

Her gender wasn't called out as an attribute. Her race was.

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:21 PM

20. Yeah, I get it. Completely.

But, when her race is paraded around with, "... and she's black!" automatically will conjur (for some) that smart black kids are so rare that when the do something spectacular, we need to be shocked and amazed.

When I saw the picture of her sweet face, my reaction was pretty simple, "Her mom and dad must be so proud. Her achievement is something no one will ever take away."

I'm not trying to raise a stink. I just want us to get past this.

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz Clik (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:41 PM

15. I agree, I have tried to retrain how I phrase things like that

it's a prejudice we don't see because so many do it. But I'm NOT attacking the poster, just agreeing how we do that and don't realize it.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:58 PM

12. no problem with the headline

we don't live in a colorblind society, and young black people, like Trayvon Martin, are often vilified...even for being murdered. kudos to this brilliant girl

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread