HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » More Facebook stupidity
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:21 PM

More Facebook stupidity

One of my FB friends posted this today:

According to Obama: "Our economy succeeds and our economy grows," he says, "when everybody is getting a fair shot and everybody is getting a fair-shake and everybody is playing by the same rules. Because I believe that is a growth agenda -- not just an equity agenda, not just a fairness agenda -- that is a growth agenda."

The problem I have with this "theory" is that not everybody is playing by the same rules. How can anyone suggest that when only half the working population is working? When fully 46% is getting some form of government assistance, and then they get back more of a tax refund (Earned Income Credit) than they paid in!

Before you respond to this, think carefully about the FACTS.

I responded by asking if he'd gotten the Social Security benefits letter he's been waiting for. He's been posting about it for a week.

This was a roommate of mine in college. We lost touch with each other for several years, then finally got back together after Hurricane Andrew, while I was doing relief work, and he was in line for emergency food stamps.

Mmm Hm.

2 replies, 615 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply More Facebook stupidity (Original post)
Courtesy Flush Feb 2013 OP
DollarBillHines Feb 2013 #1
Courtesy Flush Feb 2013 #2

Response to Courtesy Flush (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:19 PM

1. I know a guy like that

Hasn't worked in years since he bs'ed a disability claim through Social Security. His gluttony (Food Stamp) fucked up his gall bladder and he brags about how it didn't cost him a dime.

Other than that, he is as rightwing and 'baggy as it gets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Courtesy Flush (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:35 AM

2. Another guy joined in

He objected to my assertion that the conservative media inflates the 49% claim. He said the figure does not include veterans or pensioners. He said he was tired of the liberal spin on this.

So I googled and found the numbers. Less than 20% of Americans receive food stamp benefits. I told him that those numbers include children, elderly, veterans, and working people who are still in poverty, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, and assuming a FoxNews interpretation (that all of them are lazy mooches) that still leaves 29% unaccounted for.

He had no response.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread