HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Navy SEAL lost health ins...

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:39 PM

Navy SEAL lost health insurance after killing Osama bin Laden

Navy SEAL lost health insurance after killing Osama bin Laden

Correction: The original version of this article said the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden was uninsured. He lost insurance coverage after leaving the military and now purchases his own plan.

There’s a whole lot to learn from this Esquire profile of the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden and his rocky transition back to civilian life. One detail though immediately stood out to me: the SEAL, who remains anonymous and only referred to as “the Shooter,” lost his health coverage upon leaving the military.

By early September of last year, the Shooter was out, officially. Retired.

“I left SEALs on Friday,” he said the next time I saw him. It was a little more than thirty-six months before the official retirement requirement of twenty years of service. “My health care for me and my family stopped at midnight Friday night. I asked if there was some transition from my Tricare to Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said no. You’re out of the service, your coverage is over. Thanks for your sixteen years. Go yourself.”

As the Esquire story explains, Tricare (the health insurance program that covers military service members and their families) does provide 180 days of transitional health insurance “ but the Shooter is eligible only if he agrees to remain on active duty “in a support role,” or become a reservist.”

Now, the Shooter is purchasing a private health insurance plan for $486 per month, which does not cover some of his treatments (chiropractic care, for example, costs $120 weekly, Esquire reports).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/11/the-navy-seal-who-killed-osama-bin-laden-is-now-uninsured/

5 replies, 689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Navy SEAL lost health insurance after killing Osama bin Laden (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #1
FarCenter Feb 2013 #2
ehrnst Feb 2013 #3
greytdemocrat Feb 2013 #4
alcibiades_mystery Feb 2013 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:00 PM

1. False headline. He lost military medical benefits when he left the military prior to

qualifying for retirement benefits. He also lost a paycheck.

Leaving was his choice. He needs to be a responsible adult and accept the consequences of his personal choices. There is NO WAY he was in the dark about said consequences.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 04:50 PM

2. Why did he resign with 16 years of service instead of staying to 20?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 AM

3. Here is what the military said about the Esquire article

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-ruptured-duck/the-ruptured-duck-1.160117/esquire-article-wrongly-claims-seal-who-killed-bin-laden-is-denied-healthcare-1.207506

"Except the claim about health care is wrong. And no servicemember who does less than 20 years gets a pension, unless he has to medically retire.

Like every combat veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the former SEAL, who is identified in the story only as “the Shooter”, is automatically eligible for five years of free healthcare through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

But the story doesn’t mention that. "

Reply to this post

Response to ehrnst (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:13 AM

4. Well there you go.

And leaving before 20 years was his choice. There is no way around that little fact.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 AM

5. Journalists pushing this story should be ashamed of themselves

This is pure sensationalism without even the slightest bit of substance. Much of it is factually untrue. It is, quite simply, a ridiculous story.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread