HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Paul Krugman: The Rightís...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:03 PM

Paul Krugman: The Rightís Stuff

Many conservatives, including old-line relatively moderate conservatives, were outraged by the political thesis of my book The Conscience of a Liberal (first published before the 2008 election) ó which was that extreme movement conservatives took over the GOP a long time ago, were able to win elections by exploiting white resentment, but were on the verge of losing their grip thanks to demographic change.

But thatís pretty much exactly what Sam Tanenhaus, the Times book review editor and a long-time conservative, is now saying.

In COAL I also argued that the place to begin a new liberal agenda was with health care reform, more or less along the lines of the Massachusetts reform, which I believed was finally achievable. (I hoped for a public option, but oh well).

I sometimes get people declaring that I donít know anything about politics; Iím willing to agree, with the proviso that you also admit that *nobody* knows anything about politics. But I donít think that Iím doing all that badly here Ö

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/the-rights-stuff/?smid=tw-NytimesKrugman&seid=auto

1 replies, 605 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Paul Krugman: The Rightís Stuff (Original post)
cal04 Feb 2013 OP
DreamGypsy Feb 2013 #1

Response to cal04 (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:42 PM

1. Here's a great line from the New Republic article by Sam Tanenhous ...

...which Krugman references Original Sin Why the GOP is and will continue to be the party of white people (emphasis mine):

Neither can Romney be blamed for the party's whiter-shade-of-pale legislative Rotary Club: the four Republicans among the record 20 women in the Senate, the absence of Republicans among the 42 African Americans in the House (and the GOP's absence as well among the six new members who are openly gay or lesbian). These are remarkable totals in a two-party system, and they reflect not only a failure of strategy or "outreach," but also a history of long-standing indifference, at times outright hostility, to the nation's diverse constituenciesóblacks, women, Latinos, Asians, gays.

That's how I think of the GOP from now on - trip light fandango, turn cartwheels 'cross the floor, I was feeling kind-of sea sick....

Good luck with that Rotary Club in 2014.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread