HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Child Molestation is Expe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:53 PM

Child Molestation is Expensive

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2013/2/10/234216/156

Child Molestation is Expensive

by BooMan
Sun Feb 10th, 2013 at 11:42:16 PM EST

We've had our own problems in Philadelphia, but this is pretty low.

Pressed to come up with hundreds of millions of dollars to settle clergy sex abuse lawsuits, Cardinal Roger M. Mahony turned to one group of Catholics whose faith could not be shaken: the dead.

Under his leadership in 2007, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles quietly appropriated $115 million from a cemetery maintenance fund and used it to help pay a landmark settlement with molestation victims.

The church did not inform relatives of the deceased that it had taken the money, which amounted to 88% of the fund.
Families of those buried in church-owned cemeteries and interred in its mausoleums have contributed to a dedicated account for the perpetual care of graves, crypts and grounds since the 1890s.

Mahony and other church officials also did not mention the cemetery fund in numerous public statements about how the archdiocese planned to cover the $660-million abuse settlement. In detailed presentations to parish groups, the cardinal and his aides said they had cashed in substantial investments to pay the settlement, but they did not disclose that the main asset liquidated was cemetery money.

Sometimes it feels like simply citing this stuff without commentary is anti-Catholic.

Update : The pope is resigning.

4 replies, 572 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Child Molestation is Expensive (Original post)
babylonsister Feb 2013 OP
truebrit71 Feb 2013 #1
formercia Feb 2013 #2
DreamGypsy Feb 2013 #3
s-cubed Feb 2013 #4

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 02:58 PM

1. I recall reading somwehere that Ex-Cardinal Mahoney is in far deeper shit than previously thought..

...something about actively covering up for child-raping priests or some such....

Ah yes....here it is.... http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/cardinal-mahony-priest-abuse-details.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:03 PM

2. Easy Money

and other liquid assets are the first to go.
The 'Church' is one of the biggest holder of Real Estate in the US, if not the World. They need to start selling some of those assets and refund those,like the cemetery fund. A good start would be to dispose of their commercial assets and use the Money to help those in need.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:25 PM

3. Yes, ~ $1.175 million per victim; ~ $153.50 per parishioner ...

...based on ~4.3 million Catholic parishioners in the Archdiocese of LA.

From NBCNews:

In 2007, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed to a $660 million settlement with 562 victims of abuse by priests and other church personnel. According to the Times, financial reports show that the church remains $80 million in debt.

The effort to shore up church finances is the initiative of Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez, who was installed in 2011, and now seems keen to move the church away from its tarnished past.

On Jan. 31 (2013), Gomez presided over the release of thousands of pages of priest personnel files that had been the subject of a legal tussle for six years. The 12,000 pages, made accessible through the archdiocese web site, reveal many communications among officials who appear to be concealing allegations of the priests' sexual abuses from police.

The court ordered the documents be released in 2007 as part of the settlement, but the church lawyers fought to redact many of the names in the documents until earlier this month, when a judge ruled against them.

But Mahoney is deeply sorry, from the LA Times, quoting the former Cardinal:

Various steps toward safeguarding all children in the Church began here in 1987 and progressed year by year as we learned more about those who abused and the ineffectiveness of so-called “treatments” at the time. Nonetheless, even as we began to confront the problem, I remained naive myself about the full and lasting impact these horrible acts would have on the lives of those who were abused by men who were supposed to be their spiritual guides. That fuller awareness came for me when I began visiting personally with victims. During 2006, 2007 and 2008, I held personal visits with some 90 such victims.

Those visits were heart-wrenching experiences for me as I listened to the victims describe how they had their childhood and innocence stolen from them by clergy and by the Church. At times we cried together, we prayed together, we spent quiet moments in remembrance of their dreadful experience; at times the victims vented their pent up anger and frustration against me and the Church.

Toward the end of our visits I would offer the victims my personal apology — and took full responsibility — for my own failure to protect fully the children and youth entrusted into my care. I apologized for all of us in the Church for the years when ignorance, bad decisions and moral failings resulted in the unintended consequences of more being done to protect the Church — and even the clergy perpetrators — than was done to protect our children.

I have a 3 x 5 card for every victim I met with on the altar of my small chapel. I pray for them every single day. As I thumb through those cards I often pause as I am reminded of each personal story and the anguish that accompanies that life story.

The cards contain the name of each victim since each one is precious in God’s eyes and deserving of my own prayer and sacrifices for them. But I also list in parenthesis the name of the clergy perpetrator lest I forget that real priests created this appalling harm in the lives of innocent young people.

I imagine Mr. Mahoney is now updating those 3x5 cards the he used 5 years ago, created 20 years after many of the instances of abuse. Yes, he has added the amount of the settlement for each victim and, as contributions come in from parishioners, adding the names of contributors who are helping the church pay back its debt for this horrendous travesty and tragedy.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 03:36 PM

4. I want to see them sell all their hospitals: get the church out of medical decisions. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread