HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Texas ReTHUGs reject Crit...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:44 AM

Texas ReTHUGs reject Critical thinking in education

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html
<snip>

n the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff department, here’s what the Republican Party of Texas wrote into its 2012 platform as part of the section on education:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Yes, you read that right. The party opposes the teaching of “higher order thinking skills” because it believes the purpose is to challenge a student’s “fixed beliefs” and undermine “parental authority.”

It opposes, among other things, early childhood education, sex education, and multicultural education, but supports “school subjects with emphasis on the Judeo-Christian principles upon which America was founded.”
-----------
Colbert's take
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/colbert-skewers-texas-gop-on-critical-thinking/2012/07/18/gJQAn7nsuW_blog.html

3 replies, 525 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas ReTHUGs reject Critical thinking in education (Original post)
malaise Feb 2013 OP
COLGATE4 Feb 2013 #1
LWolf Feb 2013 #2
LisaLynne Feb 2013 #3

Response to malaise (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:45 AM

1. Sounds about par for the course

for these knuckle-draggers...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 08:54 AM

2. Ignorance and misinformation. What a surprise.

Not.

1. The teaching of higher order thinking skills is not a component of MLOBE (mastery learning/outcome based education).
2. MLOBE was tried and rejected in the 80s, when I first started working in public education.
3. The current wave of "reform," "Proficiency-based education" is a re-working and re-labeling of MLOBE. Those of us who have been around long enough recognize it. "Proficiency" is the new label for "Mastery."
4. Neither have anything to do with higher level thinking.
5. In all my years of including higher order thinking in the classroom, in all of the ridiculously long list of education acronyms I've dealt with, I've never heard of "HOTS." As acronyms go, it's not bad. This isn't the first time, though, that I've run into parents, communities, school boards, or others advocating AGAINST the teaching of thinking skills in the classroom. Why? Because the hallmark of critical thinking is to question. Any time you teach kids to question things, you MIGHT be teaching them to challenge their own "fixed beliefs," which MIGHT undermine parental authority when it comes to shaping a child's belief system.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:01 AM

3. If they can think critically, they won't vote Republican.

So, they have to squash that! Making sure voters of the future are unthinking sheep is the only way the Repugs will survive.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread