HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Different Standards
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:28 AM

Different Standards

On Raw Story today:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/10/rand-paul-mocks-ashley-judd-as-an-attractive-woman-who-doesnt-deserve-to-run/

Rand Paul mocks Ashley Judd as ‘an attractive woman’ who doesn’t deserve to run
By David Edwards
Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:35 EST

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is dismissing actress Ashley Judd as an “attractive woman” who does not deserve to be a Kentucky senator because she owns a home in Scotland.

During an interview with Paul on Sunday, CNN’s Candy Crowley pointed out that a recent attack ad created by Karl Rove’s Crossroad GPS suggested that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) was threatened by the possibility that Judd could take his Senate seat.

~snip~

“You know, when I heard Ashley Judd might run for office, I thought maybe it was (the Bristish) Parliament because she lives in Scotland half of the year,” Paul smirked. “But no, I think really part of politics is making sure that people know about who you’re running against.”

“Ashley Judd is a famous actress, she’s an attractive woman and presents herself well and — from what I understand — is articulate,” he added. “But the thing is she doesn’t really represent Kentucky. I mean, she was a representative for Tennessee last year. She lives in Tennessee. So, I think you do need to make sure people know about that so people don’t think she’s really from Kentucky or lives here.”

---

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/2013-02-08/rep-broun-automatic-budget-cuts-i-want-see-it-go-place?v=1360358241

Rep. Broun on automatic budget cuts: 'I want to see it go into place '
By Russ Bynum
Associated Press
Friday, Feb. 8, 2013

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Traveling across Georgia to tout his candidacy for the U.S. Senate, Republican Rep. Paul Broun said Friday that he sees $100 billion in automatic budget cuts as Washington’s only realistic option for trimming spending. Even with the Pentagon warning that the cuts would devastate the military, Broun said: “I want to see it go into place.”

“It’s the only way that we’re going to get any positive spending cuts, and I’m in favor of the sequester going into place,” Broun said Friday as he stopped in Savannah. “We’ve got to reel in the spending with Congress as well as the president. Both parties are guilty.”

~snip~

Last year Broun made headlines when he said evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory were “lies straight from the pit of hell.” On Friday he brushed aside questions about whether such statements might turn off voters in a statewide election.

“It’s well known that I’m a Bible-believing Christian, and I understand that other people have different beliefs and I respect those beliefs,” Broun said. “But what everybody in this state – whether they’re black or white, Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative – can understand very clearly is we have to stop the out-of-control spending in Washington.”

unhappycamper comment: So Ashley Judd does not 'deserve' to tun because she has a home in Scotland? And the pit-of-hell guy does?

0 replies, 331 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread