HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » GSK vaccine ingredient sc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:50 PM

GSK vaccine ingredient scrutinized for narcolepsy clues

Mounting evidence of a link between GlaxoSmithKline's Pandemrix flu shot and a spike in narcolepsy cases among children in Europe is putting one of the vaccine's key ingredients, AS03, under intense scrutiny.

The ingredient is one of a class of pharmaceuticals known as adjuvants, or boosters, designed to turbo charge the potency of a vaccine and the body's immune response to it.

Yet some experts believe the turbo-charged immune response AS03 generates, or the ingredients that drive it, may also be the answer to why almost 800 cases of the incurable sleeping disorder narcolepsy have been linked to Pandemrix's use in Europe during the 2009/2010 H1N1 pandemi

Among the 800 cases of Pandemrix-related narcolepsy reported so far across Europe, many are children who say the life-long and incurable disease has all but wrecked normal life.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/08/us-narcolepsy-vaccine-adjuvant-idUSBRE91708V20130208

A couple of days of flu vs. a lifetime disability. You decide.

6 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply GSK vaccine ingredient scrutinized for narcolepsy clues (Original post)
Paul E Ester Feb 2013 OP
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2013 #1
The Straight Story Feb 2013 #2
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2013 #3
OrwellwasRight Feb 2013 #4
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2013 #5
OrwellwasRight Feb 2013 #6

Response to Paul E Ester (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

1. It's all about risk vs benefit, and numbers - for anything we take for anything.

I would estimate that numbers-wise, 800 is a tiny number vs those who take/took it.

The whole field of medicines/benefits/side effects, risk and benefit, is a topic for a much longer, complex discussion that has no clear conclusions....way too many variables - including the whole matter of profits, costs, etc.

No medicine works on everyone - none - and no medicine is completely free of side effects and risks. The variations on each of our individual genetics is a major contributing factor.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 01:03 PM

2. Which goes back to your body, your choice on medical decisions

Forcing a shot vs not.

It can get complex quickly as principles people stand behind crumble no matter which side they seem to take.

Young kids/infants cannot readily communicate and report symptoms/side effects they encounter. But then there are risks to society. Then there is a matter of trust with big pharma companies and the like who will push profit first, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to The Straight Story (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 01:07 PM

3. indeed. so complex. as someone who worked in Pharma for 25 years...

it really opened my eyes. I saw great good, and I saw the flip side. At this point we do what we feel is best for ourselves and our family....trust and Big Pharma is not a good correlation!

Reply to this post

Response to The Straight Story (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 02:15 PM

4. True, but I think you have to do the calculation separately for each drug.

You know, it is one thing for people to say I or my child don't need a flu vaccine. Little harm done to society.

It is another when polio and a few other diseases are near eradication and the anti-immunization crowd is causing a resurgence of deadly diseases because they lump all immunizations together. The risk-reward calculation should include the risks to society of individual choices, IMO.

Reply to this post

Response to OrwellwasRight (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 02:50 PM

5. the greater good. I agree.

Reply to this post

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 02:52 PM

6. Now if we can just convince the rest of the world!!!

Ha ha!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread