HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cardinal Mahony used ceme...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:18 AM

Cardinal Mahony used cemetery money to pay sex abuse settlement (LAT)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-church-cemetery-fund-20130210,0,1768358.story

Cardinal Mahony used cemetery money to pay sex abuse settlement
The Archdiocese of L.A. took $115 million from its cemeteries' maintenance fund in 2007, nearly depleting it. The move seems legal, but it was not announced, and relatives of the dead were not told.
By Harriet Ryan, Los Angeles Times

Pressed to come up with hundreds of millions of dollars to settle clergy sex abuse lawsuits, Cardinal Roger M. Mahony turned to one group of Catholics whose faith could not be shaken: the dead.

Under his leadership in 2007, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles quietly appropriated $115 million from a cemetery maintenance fund and used it to help pay a landmark settlement with molestation victims.

The church did not inform relatives of the deceased that it had taken the money, which amounted to 88% of the fund. Families of those buried in church-owned cemeteries and interred in its mausoleums have contributed to a dedicated account for the perpetual care of graves, crypts and grounds since the 1890s.

Mahony and other church officials also did not mention the cemetery fund in numerous public statements about how the archdiocese planned to cover the $660-million abuse settlement. In detailed presentations to parish groups, the cardinal and his aides said they had cashed in substantial investments to pay the settlement, but they did not disclose that the main asset liquidated was cemetery money.

8 replies, 871 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cardinal Mahony used cemetery money to pay sex abuse settlement (LAT) (Original post)
jsr Feb 2013 OP
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #1
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #2
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #3
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #4
Historic NY Feb 2013 #5
Kber Feb 2013 #6
dsc Feb 2013 #7
Lars39 Feb 2013 #8

Response to jsr (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:23 AM

1. Just like any shady business. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:30 AM

2. As a catholic I have to say I couldn't agree with you more. Shame on the Pope.

I haven't lost faith in God and I will never give a dime to any organized church again.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:40 AM

3. It's just horrible, southernyankeebelle. People trust in these organizations and

then they pull stuff like this. It's like when I was a kid and people used to say, "If you can't trust your banker, who can you trust?" And we see where that got us ... Now, it needs to be reframed as, "If you can't trust your church, who can you trust?" Some of the churches going up around here are mammoth institutions. I think there's little spiritual about them, and it's more about $$$$$ and building to impress. I don't trust any of them.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:52 AM

4. I agree with you. I think many people are leaving organized church. I think people

still have a spiritual sense and they don't need to go to an organized church to get this feeling.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:01 AM

5. That money might be legally encumbered, especially if the

cemeteries are incorporated. A real legal eagle might be able to make hay. Just wait until it pointed out how the Catholics take care of their crimes by stealing from the dead.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:51 AM

6. Seems to me like the Church has been overcharging for cemetery plots.

Otherwise, how could they have accumulated such a large slush fund.

Reply to this post

Response to Kber (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:53 AM

7. from dedicated donations

it said so right in the op

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:06 PM

8. This is embezzlement.

Jail time should occur, even if it sounds like the funds were taken out of a slush fund.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread