HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My view of drone assassin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:25 AM

My view of drone assassination and murder

Forget about US citizens. Those that join a terrorist organization, or talk about it. Their kids...their extended family. Forget about that.

Supporting the use of drones to kill "enemy combatants" leads to civilian deaths. Innocent civilians. Lots of them. Is it a hundred? A thousand? What is the acceptable number? When is it ok? When is it too many?

Can we send humans to do the same thing as the drones? Men or women on the ground..with guns. Yes. And the innocent civilian casualties would be reduced. But the risk to the assassination team may lead to US casualties. So we use drones. And if you support that...to minimize the danger to the American operatives, you value their lives over the lives of innocent civilians in the danger zone. Foreign civilians. Men, women and children that did no wrong.

Would you trade the life of one American operative for that of one innocent foreign civilian? How about 2 innocents? How about a family of 5?

I don't support the use of drones to assassinate suspected criminals, US citizens or no. I would rather see Americans placed at risk to minimize civilian casualties.

3 replies, 420 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply My view of drone assassination and murder (Original post)
The Link Feb 2013 OP
Recursion Feb 2013 #1
cliffordu Feb 2013 #2
The Link Feb 2013 #3

Response to The Link (Original post)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:31 AM

1. I think you have that backwards

An infantry assault kills orders of magnitude more people than a drone strike.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Recursion (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:34 AM

2. That's right.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:34 AM

3. I think you aren't familiar with US assassination teams

Comprised of special forces members from all branches and the CIA. Trained to take out individuals and small groups of those identified as potential criminals. What order of magnitude of civilians were killed when Bin Ladens was assassinated? 20? 50?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread