HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A major blizzard is hitti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:24 PM

A major blizzard is hitting N.E. Is it hypocrisy for reporters to be out in this shit?

A state of emergency has been declared (at least in MA), and all non essential vehicles (fire, police, EMS, snow plows), are prohibited from from the roads.

So, why are non essential reporters and camera crews out there advising and warning non essential drivers and vehicles to stay off the roads in order to make things easier for snow removal vehicles and equipment ?

14 replies, 907 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to SayWut (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

1. Because they're NON-ESSENTIAL? So, if

someone runs over them, no big deal?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:29 PM

2. It's in their job description, like war correspondents and first responders I should think.

Is it hypocritical for emergency services to request people stay out of bad weather when they are required to be in it?

They're both the same, there is no hypocrisy. Just different duties and lives.

Not only that, some people need a visual to pay attention to warnings. If they can't see any trouble outside their front door, they may assume there's no problem. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:49 PM

4. War correspondents are there to report on events that are thousands of miles away.

That we'd otherwise not be aware of.

"Not only that, some people need a visual to pay attention to warnings. If they can't see any trouble outside their front door, they may assume there's no problem".

How much visual does one need from a camera live feed that can't be resolved by following studio weather reports or simply looking out the window and say "yep, it's fucked up out there".

The flipside is that thrill seekers watching the live feeds might encourage them to get in on a once in a lifetime event by seeing it for themselves.

Reply to this post

Response to SayWut (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:58 PM

8. Most people's view of hurricanes they'd never see are on TV. On encouraging reckless behavior,

Idiots will be idiots.

The sight of snowy roads on TV would encourage me to stay home. There is no hypocrisy doing a job. You've found an angle to complain about on a subject of current interest but I don't find it at all compelling. Stay indoors if you can.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:41 PM

3. It's fine. We cannot have a major storm without idiots on camera in the middle of it.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:52 PM

5. Media is excluded from the driving ban:

"All motorists MUST be off the roads except for public safety and public works workers, government officials conducting official business, utility workers, healthcare workers who must travel to provide essential, news media."

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/mema/

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:54 PM

6. Better to be in the middle of a storm than in the studio pushing a corporate agenda. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:55 PM

7. Oh FFS! It's not like they are in the middle of a nuclear war. It a snow storm with high winds

and they are just outside their hotel with their big SUV and generator. They will be fine, thank you.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:59 PM

9. I don't think the NEWS is "non-essential"!!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:00 PM

10. Because municipal agencies watch the news. They also have their own radios and

communications systems but they watch the news and weather and provide public service announcements from time to time.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:00 PM

11. About as hypocritical as local weather posts staying in LBN as long as they are coastal

Weather stories in LBN from "fly-over" country get locked as they are not "National" interest. Post a story about a storm on either coast and it stays...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:13 AM

12. They've been doing it for years in hurricanes

It's fun watching them get blown around.

And it provides a service for folks to see the real impact of what's happening.

Reply to this post

Response to rightsideout (Reply #12)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:14 AM

13. Beat me to it

I'm picturing Al Roker getting blown all over a Florida patio.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 05:27 AM

14. Is a non event event

just imagine if they could give such dedication to real news!

Sure, the video would lack watching the 80 pound weather girl getting blown about, but you can only laugh so much and wonder what the news has chosen not to mention.

Hell if you weigh 80 pounds to begin with, it is not news, it is a tragedy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread