HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » OK, this seems to be the ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:34 PM

OK, this seems to be the main thrust of the Dorner / LAPD charges....

Dorner reported a fellow officer for kicking a suspect and (Dorner alleges) the LAPD retaliated by accusing him of being a bully.

In 8/07 I reported an officer (Ofcr. Teresa Evans/now a Sergeant), for kicking a suspect (excessive force) during a Use of Force while I was assigned as a patrol officer at LAPD’s Harbor Division. While cuffing the suspect, (Christopher Gettler), Evans kicked the suspect twice in the chest and once in the face. The kick to the face left a visible injury on the left cheek below the eye. Unfortunately after reporting it to supervisors and investigated by PSB (internal affairs investigator Det. Villanueva/Gallegos), nothing was done. I had broken their supposed “Blue Line”.

Unfortunately, It’s not JUST US, it’s JUSTICE!!! In fact, 10 months later on 6/25/08, after already successfully completing probation, acquiring a basic Post Certificate, and Intermediate Post Certificate, I was relieved of duty by the LAPD while assigned to patrol at Southwest division. It is clear as day that the department retaliated toward me for reporting Evans for kicking Mr. Christopher Gettler. The department stated that I had lied and made up the report that Evans had kicked the suspect.

I later went to a Board of Rights (department hearing for decision of continued employment) from 10/08 to 1/09. During this BOR hearing a video was played for the BOR panel where Christopher Gettler stated that he was indeed kicked by Officer Evans (video sent to multiple news agencies). In addition to Christopher Gettler stating he was kicked, his father Richard Gettler, also stated that his son had stated he was kicked by an officer when he was arrested after being released from custody. This was all presented for the department at the BOR hearing. They still found me guilty and terminated me.

What they didn’t mention was that the BOR panel made up of Capt. Phil Tingirides, Capt. Justin Eisenberg, and City Attorney Martella had a signigicant problem from the time the board was assembled. Capt. Phil Tingirides was a personal friend of Teresa Evans from when he was her supervisor at Harbor station. That is a clear conflict of interest and I made my argument for his removal early and was denied. The advocate for the LAPD BOR was Sgt. Anderson. Anderson also had a conflict of interest as she was Evans friend and former partner from Harbor division where they both worked patrol together. I made my argument for her removal when I discovered her relation to Evans and it was denied.

During the BOR, the department attempted to label me unsuccessfully as a bully. They stated that I had bullied a recruit, Abraham Schefres, in the academy when in reality and unfounded disposition from the official 1.28 formal complaint investigation found that I was the one who stood up for Abraham Schefres when other recruits sang nazi hitler youth songs about burning Jewish ghettos in WWII Germany where his father was a survivor of a concentration camp. How fucking dare you attempt to label me with such a nasty vile word. I ask that all earnest journalist investigating this story ask Ofcr. Abraham Schefres about the incident when Ofcr. Burdios began singing a nazi youth song about burning jewish ghettos.

The internal affairs investigation in the academy involving Schefres was spurned by a complaint that I had initiated toward two fellow recruit/offifcers. While on a assigned patrol footbeat in Hollywood Division, Officers Hermilio Buridios IV and Marlon Magana (both current LAPD officers) decided that they would voice their personal feelings about the black community. While traveling back to the station in a 12 passenger van I heard Magana refer to another individual as a nigger. I wasn’t sure if I heard correctly as there were many conversations in the van that was compiled of at least 8 officers and he was sitting in the very rear and me in the very front.

Even with the multiple conversations and ambient noise I heard Officer Magana call an indivdual a nigger again. Now that I had confirmed it, I told Magana not to use that word again. I explained that it was a well known offensive word that should not be used by anyone. He replied, “I’ll say it when I want”. Officer Burdios, a friend of his, also stated that he would say nigger when he wanted. At that point I jumped over my front passenger seat and two other officers where I placed my hands around Burdios’ neck and squeezed. I stated to Burdios, “Don’t fucking say that”. At that point there was pushing and shoving and we were separated by several other officers. What I should have done, was put a Winchester Ranger SXT 9mm 147 grain bullet in his skull and Officer Magana’s skull.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1016&pid=55191

There's more, but frankly, I've seen much worse in many, many of the Occupy raid videos posted here.

I may alienates all sides, but I think the LAPD would be EXCESSIVELY thin skinned if they kill Dorner for what is in the "manifesto."

33 replies, 2579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 33 replies Author Time Post
Reply OK, this seems to be the main thrust of the Dorner / LAPD charges.... (Original post)
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 OP
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #1
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #2
2pooped2pop Feb 2013 #30
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #32
2pooped2pop Feb 2013 #33
nadinbrzezinski Feb 2013 #3
Catherina Feb 2013 #24
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #4
nadinbrzezinski Feb 2013 #5
Squinch Feb 2013 #6
Little Star Feb 2013 #27
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #9
randome Feb 2013 #13
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #19
2pooped2pop Feb 2013 #31
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #16
Warpy Feb 2013 #7
Lurks Often Feb 2013 #8
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #11
reorg Feb 2013 #10
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #12
libtodeath Feb 2013 #14
randome Feb 2013 #15
libtodeath Feb 2013 #18
randome Feb 2013 #21
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #17
Agnosticsherbet Feb 2013 #20
EastKYLiberal Feb 2013 #22
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #23
beevul Feb 2013 #29
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #25
Democracyinkind Feb 2013 #26
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #28

Response to Junkdrawer (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:42 PM

1. They will kill him. They've made that clear. He will not receive a fair trial.

And LAPD will kill anyone who happens to come between him and them, or who they even suspect might be him, or who is merely black and large.

I'm frightened right now. But not of HIM.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:45 PM

2. May be true. But I doubt it's for what is in the Manifesto....

More like a blood vendetta for his murder of another officer's relatives.

Reply to this post

Response to Junkdrawer (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:48 AM

30. that's probably true

They will be killing him for the killings and the promise of more to come. The manifesto is already out there. But I do believe they would kill him, at this point, to keep him from a nice long police exposing trial, as well. If he goes to trial, he would most likely be proven to be telling the truth and may be able to tell more.

He's now, too big to fail. At least his story is too big for them to fail in making sure he gets no chance to prove it.

Even if say, he had kidnapped an adult and was holding him without hurting him. Not a life sentence. No cops killed. I would bet money that he would still be killed. He's made too much press now. He would not be allowed to tell his story live.

that's my opinion.

I, like Kestrel, would be very afraid, but not so much of him.

Reply to this post

Response to 2pooped2pop (Reply #30)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 09:08 AM

32. Wouldn't a judge keep all the manifesto controversies out of his trial?

Now, I could see (in days of yore) the press digging into the matter DURING the trial, but from what I see of the press coverage to date, even that seems unlikely.

Reply to this post

Response to Junkdrawer (Reply #32)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 09:14 AM

33. truly the local press would not want to tick off the lapd

And our press really is little more than "readers" having apparently forgotten all about investigative journalism. But I would hope that there is enough interest across the country and even perhaps around the world, that foia's have already been sent and at least some things would have to come out.

I would hope. I'm thinking some things will come out anyway, but it will be much easier to hush up and sweep under the rug if this guy isn't available for a trial.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:45 PM

3. He will not see the inside of a court.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 05:59 AM

24. +1000 n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:48 PM

4. LAPD have been unloading clips into trucks at will...the number of bullet holes implies they mean to

kill him without questioning him. Or allowing him to speak to anyone.

Apparently, the DVD he send Anderson Cooper and others is said to contain evidence substantiating claims in his manifesto. We'll have to see.

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:51 PM

5. CNN should FOIA the living daylights of the LAPD.

No local media will touch this. They all want to keep credentials.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:53 PM

6. That's the proof there. I don't in any way support what Dorner is doing, but the LAPD

has made it clear - when they shot up those two trucks - that they, too, are willing to shoot some innocent bystanders in their pursuit of the guy who is killing off innocent bystanders.

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:07 PM

9. Caught that....

But the incident in question is about an officer kicking a suspect 3 times - one of the kicks leaving a mark on the face.

You know that, compared to what the LAPD has done to Occupy, that's fairly minor. I guess the retaliation by defending the kicker and framing and firing Dorner would be more significant - that points to corruption in the LAPD administration.

Another aspect is that it does appear that Dorner WAS a fairly decent guy before his LAPD experience.

Reply to this post

Response to Junkdrawer (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:17 PM

13. Uh...no. His ex-girlfriend described him as 'twisted' and 'paranoid'.

The guy has had a screw loose for some time.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #13)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:29 PM

19. He clearly had no (or limited) support systems in his life to give perspective....

but there is this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022336027

Someone downthread mentioned Ragtime (which I read a long time ago) and Michael Kohlhaas (which I haven't read yet).

I've heard wise people say over and over that you never know what someone is capable of once the wrong buttons are pushed too many times. That's you and me too.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #13)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:51 AM

31. yeah, incredibly odd that an ex would have bad things to say

NOT.

Reply to this post

Response to Junkdrawer (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:25 PM

16. Since LAPD are shooting to kill, there may be more involved than presently known. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:55 PM

7. They're probably afraid he'll tell even more.

All he needs is someone to ask him the right questions.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:57 PM

8. Dorner thinks LAPD wrecked his life

I condone nothing he has done. From his viewpoint:
He reports another officer for excessive force, LAPD covers it up, the lawyer he hires fails to won his appeal and LAPD fires him for filing false statements. Given how he was fired from LAPD, he had no chance of finding another job in law enforcement and a not very good chance of finding a decent job period. All for trying to to do the right thing.

Don't expect Dorner to be taken alive, he doesn't want to be taken alive and LAPD isn't going to take the slightest chance, the inexcusable shooting of the innocent people delivering the papers in pick up truck that bore very little resemblance to Dorner's vehicle is proof of that.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:14 PM

11. I see it about the same....

It's less "Dorner has explosive evidence of LAPD corruption" and more "LAPD corruption chews up and spits out a decent guy who then completely snaps."

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:13 PM

10. are you familiar with the novella "Michael Kohlhaas"?

This story seems to never get old. It was adapted to an American milieu by E. L. Doctorow in his 1975 novel Ragtime which is probably better known, and made into a movie by Milos Forman.

Kohlhaas/Coalhouse have to suffer an injustice. Not insignificant, but not exceptional either. They demand justice and go on to actively persue every avenue to achieve it.

Since the administrative "old boys' club" prevents any progress through legal channels, Kohlhaas resorts to criminal means. He begins a private war.

(Kafka devoted one of only two public appearances in his whole life to reading passages from Michael Kohlhaas.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kohlhaas

Reply to this post

Response to reorg (Reply #10)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:16 PM

12. I read Ragtime in the 70s.

Excellent analogy.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:21 PM

14. He snapped under the abuse he was subject to

so sad for the victims but the whole story will never be investigated.

Reply to this post

Response to libtodeath (Reply #14)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:23 PM

15. Would YOU start killing people who had nothing to do with you?

If the pressure was too much for you, I mean? Dorner has had a screw loose for some time.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #15)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

18. None of us including you have any idea what we would do if in the situation

i dont condone killing so stop trying to imply anything.

Reply to this post

Response to libtodeath (Reply #18)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:50 PM

21. I didn't mean to imply anything.

I just wanted to point out that he snapped primarily because he's a loon, not because of any pressure he encountered on the job. IMO.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

17. Some Anons were stirring as a result of LAPD shooting up citizens in their rush to kill Dorner.

This, on Twitter. If an Op has been formed, and at least one Anonymous channel did directly threaten LAPD, then expect hacks and pertinent information and lulz.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 PM

20. Christopher Dorner is wanted over deaths of Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence

for killing one police officer and shooting two others.

He wrote, "'I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own... so I am terminating yours,''

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2274956/Christopher-Dorner-left-3-dead-sent-Anderson-Cooper-bullet-riddled-coin-vendetta-LAPD.html#ixzz2KN06Bb4C

Why would you think this is about his manifesto?

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:52 PM

22. Local law enforcement needs more federal oversight...

Police departments should rotate cops amongst stations throughout states, so as to stop this blue line bullshit. Cops shouldn't work side by side for 20 years... to the point where they'd do anything to protect their buddies, especially from murder or abuse.

Not reporting excessive use of force should be a federal offense and if the cop that goes unreported kills a suspect... His superiors should be charged as an accessory to murder.

Reply to this post

Response to EastKYLiberal (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:55 PM

23. Policing the police is a BIG, never ending job.....

Turn your eyes away for a few years and the corruption will be horrific.

Reply to this post

Response to EastKYLiberal (Reply #22)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:46 AM

29. Not just federal oversight...

Local civilian oversight with stringent conflict of interest regulation, combined with broad authority, too.

The amount and degree of oversight needs to run hand in hand with the amount of power law enforcement is allowed to wield, and the amount of trust they're given to wield it wisely lawfully and ethically.

This is the one area where "zero tolerance", due to the potential for misuse of power and abuse of public trust, might come close to making some sense.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:19 AM

25. Kick

:kick:

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:26 AM

26. Yes, this is his beef, as far as I can tell.

But I think you're missing the point by focusing on the content.

I don't think they much care about being exposed as the violent thugs that they are.

I think this is about principle: crossing the Blue Line. I don't think they care much for WHY the line is crossed - once it is, they become furiously trigger-happy.

I wish he hadn't killed anyone. He could have been an important voice in the fight against systemic corruption and malfeasance at the LAPD.

Reply to this post

Response to Democracyinkind (Reply #26)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 08:46 AM

28. The big picture I see is that our police are being turned....

from Officers of the Peace into Domestic Occupation Troops. And the PTB encourage an Us vs Them attitude that looks the other way when violence and intimidation are used to keep the Hoi polloi in line.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread