HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » April 2012: LAPD shoot 90...

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:08 PM

April 2012: LAPD shoot 90 bullets at unarmed teenager after high speed chase, killing him

Last edited Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:43 PM - Edit history (1)

So everyone knows LAPD, who may only remember what they did to Rodney King, or have heard about the Rampart scandal.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/case-of-man-shot-at-90-times-on-freeway-tragic-lapd-says.html

Case of man shot at 90 times on freeway 'tragic,' LAPD says

Los Angeles Police Department officials described the shooting death of a 19-year-old man after a bizarre high-speed chase on the 101 Freeway "tragic" but defended the officers' actions.

Eight Los Angeles police officers fired more than 90 rounds, killing him.

LAPD officials will review several factors related to the incident, including communication tactics and whether the large number of rounds fired endangered other freeway motorists.

When asked if this may have been a case of suicide by cop, LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said, "It's certainly bizarre behavior, and it ended in a tragic situation for all involved."

Police said they noticed Abdul Arian driving erratically near the Northridge Fashion Center on Wednesday and tried to pull him over. But he refused, instead taking them on a high-speed pursuit through city streets before pulling onto the Ventura Freeway.

---
LA sheriffs, not LAPD, but posted here because it's the same out-of-control bullshit in the same city.

ⒶRebelMoonⒶ ‏@TheRebelMoon

LA: 7 sheriffs to be fired for involvement in a gang that shoots people of color:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/seven-members-of-la-sheriff-clique-fired_n_2645288.html

These groups exist in your city!

17 replies, 1889 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply April 2012: LAPD shoot 90 bullets at unarmed teenager after high speed chase, killing him (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 OP
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #1
sasha031 Feb 2013 #2
Cali_Democrat Feb 2013 #3
JI7 Feb 2013 #8
Catherina Feb 2013 #4
IcyPeas Feb 2013 #5
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #6
IcyPeas Feb 2013 #10
Skip Intro Feb 2013 #7
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #9
IcyPeas Feb 2013 #11
Skip Intro Feb 2013 #12
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #13
Logical Feb 2013 #14
libtodeath Feb 2013 #15
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #16
Fire Walk With Me Feb 2013 #17

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:16 PM

1. LAPD cops TERRIFY me. Anytime they are around I keep one eye on them at all times.

They have no respect for life and no respect for anyone's constitutional rights.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:20 PM

2. ohhh no

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:28 PM

3. Many folks who join the LAPD want to use their guns and they want to use them badly.

Even if that means shooting and killing unarmed teenagers with 90 bullets.

Reply to this post

Response to Cali_Democrat (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:21 PM

8. maybe that's why Dorner joined the LAPD and then the Military afterwards

i wonder if he ever got a chance to shoot someone. maybe he didn't which is why he killed that young couple.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:37 PM

4. More shady conduct from the LAPD

90 bullets fired into a Muslim kid named "Abdul" and claims that he told them he was armed. When the family requested to hear their so-called evidence of him saying he was armed, the police refused to turn over the tapes claiming they "didn't want to disparage the memory of this young man."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/19/abdul-arian-911-call-recording_n_1439086.html

LAPD, you have lots of explaining to do.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:08 PM

5. they thought he was armed:

also from the linked article:

During the chase, Arian called 911, and according to a partial transcript of the call released by the LAPD, he claimed to have a gun and made threats to the police.

"I have been arrested before for possession of destructive devices, I'm not afraid of the cops," he told the dispatcher. "If they pull their guns, I'm going to have to pull my gun out on them."

The dispatcher, according to the release, pleaded for Arian to surrender, saying "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Arian responded with expletives and warned that the police are "going to get hurt."

Police did not recover a gun from the scene.

After cutting across lanes, Arian stopped, jumped out of his car and began running on the freeway. Facing police while back-stepping, he extended both arms with clasped hands, a gesture captured on video by a KTLA-TV news helicopter.

But as Arian headed toward the shoulder of the freeway in the vicinity of a vehicle that had pulled over, he turned again and assumed what police called a "shooting stance." He appeared to wield a weapon. His uncle believed it was a cellphone. Sources familiar with the investigation who were not authorized to speak publicly confirmed that it was a cellphone.

sounds like suicide by cop to me.

Reply to this post

Response to IcyPeas (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:14 PM

6. It could be, but there is still the matter of extreme disproportion and a lack of fact-finding

on the scene. As is evidenced by four (or more) citizens shot or shot at by LAPD in the last 24 hours or so, without warning or chance to change the situation with simple facts (two asian women were not a 280 pound black man). And this of course is not LAPD's only troubling moment. With Occupy, I've seen lots of blatantly illegal police acts as well as horrible stories told on Skid Row. I've posted pics and video here in GD over the last year. And from those who have long since been fighting that fight:

Uploaded on Jul 25, 2008

Officers beat a homeless man for eating sunflower seeds on San Julian Street as onlookers plead for them to stop. Man is subsequently taken away in an ambulance.

LAPD repeatedly baton Occupy member who is being held down on the sidewalk:

March 17 and 19, LAPD grabbing Occupy members from behind, gave them felonies:

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:24 PM

10. 2 cops knocked on my door

back in October and I wouldn't open the door (I live in sherman oaks). they said they had a report of 2 women screaming and fighting. I was alone. I called 911 myself and told them to tell the cops at my door to leave. They really scared the shit out of me. what would've happened if I'd opened the door? I was shaking. I don't trust the LAPD.

Also what happened to Kelly Thomas at the hands of the Fullerton Police department sickened me. Have you seen that video? It's disgusting. He was not doing anything and they murdered him.

Reply to this post

Response to IcyPeas (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:20 PM

7. These facts matter. Context is everything. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Skip Intro (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:23 PM

9. Just the same as LAPD shooting up two Asian women imagining them to be a 280 lb. black man?

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:26 PM

11. I have no words for the stupidity of that

they should sue the pants of the LAPD

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:33 PM

12. I'm referring to the incident in the OP.

The one you refer to appears to have been a terrible mistake. I would think the cops in that case could have exercised a bit more restraint, but then again they thought they'd found the guy who'd killed several people. Or maybe it was just stupidity on the part of the cops. I don't think the cops in that situation purposely killed innocent people for the fun of it. Either way, it is tragic.

Reply to this post

Response to Skip Intro (Reply #12)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:39 PM

13. I know you were referring to the OP, but LAPD appear to have been trained to shoot first,

disregarding citizen's rights and the value of their lives. That's not protecting and serving anyone but themselves. Yes, the teen said some trigger words but isn't that when you bring in a mediator/expert to talk them down? Aren't cops supposed to, if presented with the potential for injury, to retreat to cover and even then, shoot to incapacitate? LAPD have tasers in their armament. I can't bear to watch the video; was he appearing to aim a weapon at them, and if not, what were his actions? An imminent threat?

So...

90 bullets?

If he wished to die by cop, he certainly chose the right ones.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:45 PM

14. Cops know that no actions they do will cause them to lose their job, so why not shoot all you want.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 07:14 PM

15. Part of the problem or part of the solution

it is clear that they are the first way more then the second.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM

16. One kick to illustrate LA cop culture.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:50 AM

17. Kick for cop apologists.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread