HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chicago - cops will no lo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:16 PM

Chicago - cops will no longer physically respond to all 911 calls

Chicago Dials Back on 911 Responses
Dispatchers Won't Send Police to Minor Incidents So They Can Work on Reducing Number of Homicides

CHICAGO—Police here stopped physically responding to some 911 calls for non-life-threatening issues this week so officers can focus on stemming the city's rising homicide rate, a strategy that other big cities have implemented with sometimes controversial results.

Under the new policy, dispatchers will route 911 calls reporting non-criminal complaints or crimes in which no one is in imminent danger, such as some car thefts and simple assaults, to desk officers who will fill out police reports by phone. The new policy prohibits callers from insisting an officer be sent to the scene, as was allowed before.

The Chicago Police Department says it now expects to handle about 151,000 police reports by telephone this year, or about 30% of their total, roughly twice as many as last year. The department estimates the new approach will free the equivalent of 44 officers a day in a force of roughly 12,000 officers.

The move is the latest effort by Chicago police to combat the city's homicide rate. The city had 506 murders in 2012, the highest since 2008, and last month was the deadliest January since 2002. Late last week, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy pulled 200 officers from administrative positions to teams focused on preventing gun violence and gang crimes.

"I'm less concerned about backing up the radio and more concerned with violence on the streets," Mr. McCarthy told city councilors last year when the 911 policy was being discussed. "We have to handle calls for service, but…I have to make policy decisions that are going to free those officers up to stop the violence," he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324761004578286413095565762.html

4 replies, 802 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chicago - cops will no longer physically respond to all 911 calls (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
rsmith6621 Feb 2013 #1
dixiegrrrrl Feb 2013 #2
NightWatcher Feb 2013 #3
winstars Feb 2013 #4

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:42 PM

1. But I Will Bet My Liver

...That they will still respond to a candy bar shoplifter at Walmart or Target.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rsmith6621 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:25 PM

2. or a 5 year old at school who draws a pic of a gun.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:28 PM

3. Press 1 if you've been shot in a vital organ

Press 2 if you've only been grazed by the shooter

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:50 PM

4. Friend got his car stolen in Queens NY several years ago, the cops said to come to the station

house to file a report, my friend had to TAKE A CAB THERE...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread