HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This is why we need to en...

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:01 PM

This is why we need to end the drug war right now! This is unacceptable!!

Autistic high school student entrapped by undercover cop posing as a student.

After harassing the kid for weeks to buy him pot, the boy is arrested, jailed,

and interrogated for 3 days with no legal counsel or contact with his parents

I am so

We have to stop letting these fascists treat our children this way

Our son has great difficulties making friends, which is one of the hallmarks of those with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), so my wife and I were thrilled when we learned, this past August, that our son had a new friend named Daniel. We had recently moved, and our son had just begun a new school year in a new school, within his same district, so to us, this new friendship seemed like a gift from the gods. Daniel was texting our son at a furious rate, yet each time we had our son invite Daniel over, there always seemed to be an excuse.

Daniel and our son had struck up a relationship in a class that they shared, and cell phone records show that during the course of a short period of time, our son received 59 texts from Daniel's number. Daniel was an undercover cop....

On that very bad day, our son was arrested and handcuffed, in his classroom, in front of the other students, at approximately 8:30 a.m. We knew nothing about the arrest until around 3:45 p.m., after he didn't arrive home from school. After a series of frantic phone calls to the school, I spoke to the school's principal who then informed me of the arrest, with very few details, and a recommendation to contact the sheriff's department for more details.
During the time that had elapsed between his arrest, and our learning of the arrest, our son had been interrogated, without having been allowed to contact us. And of course, he had no attorney present.

Persuading personnel at the detention center to allow us to speak on the phone with our son was a challenge. And not until my wife notified the detention center's nurse that our son was going to require his round of medications each night and morning, and that it is documented that he engages in self-injurious behavior when his stress levels are elevated, were we allowed to speak with him.
We were not allowed to see him until day three, when he appeared in court, the same day as the other kids who had just been made participants in the school to prison pipeline.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/01/1182672/-Our-Autistic-Son-was-Handcuffed-and-Arrested-in-School-We-Were-Not-Notified#

Now we all know the banks that were caught laundering huge sums of drug money...and our government didn't give a damn, they got a slap on the wrist, and they are still going.

Our government doesn't give a damn about stopping drugs, they should not be allowed to treat our children this way

We need to end the drug war, this isn't about drugs, it is about control.

'It's not what drugs you are on they care about as much as whose' Todd Snider

12 replies, 1111 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is why we need to end the drug war right now! This is unacceptable!! (Original post)
Fight2Win Feb 2013 OP
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #1
Fight2Win Feb 2013 #3
AZ Progressive Feb 2013 #2
Fight2Win Feb 2013 #8
Fight2Win Feb 2013 #4
mikeysnot Feb 2013 #6
mikeysnot Feb 2013 #5
Fight2Win Feb 2013 #7
Lionessa Feb 2013 #9
Fight2Win Feb 2013 #10
Lionessa Feb 2013 #12
abelenkpe Feb 2013 #11

Response to Fight2Win (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:05 PM

1. This was posted a few days ago, but yes, we need to end this crap.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Comrade Grumpy (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:19 PM

3. Oh sorry, I just saw it, and was so stunned.

There is an update, and they want you to sign a petition to let him stay in school.

Reply to this post

Response to AZ Progressive (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:37 PM

8. oh I know- also illegal! Starbucks had them packaging beans into Christmas bags

One company had them remove 'made in malaysia' tags and replace them with 'made in USA' (the prisoners they mean?)

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:21 PM

4. I thought entrapment was illegal

When did the law change?

Reply to this post

Response to Fight2Win (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:23 PM

6. 1988 Drug Obnibus bill

I believe.... have to look it up.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:22 PM

5. As a father of a special needs boy

I really have to hold back what I would do to "Daniel" in this case.

Reply to this post

Response to mikeysnot (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:35 PM

7. I know, that poor kid, how will he ever recover?

But we all need to do something--Collective action demand the Government stop this nonsense right now!

These hypocritical bastards need to be stopped.

We're broke, we don't have the money for this crap, then to lock up more people at $50,000 per year just to make Halliburton prison profit.

Enough!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:46 PM

9. The saddest part is that mmj does seem to help some autistics.

Helps them stay a bit calmer and whatnot. Anyway, the all the wars against non-entities needs to stop, drugs, terrorism, and such slippery slopes.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:40 PM

10. some probably use it to self medicate, but this kid wasn't doing anything

what is wrong with these people?!

Reply to this post

Response to Fight2Win (Reply #10)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:45 PM

12. I realize that, but now the kid may never trust that pot may have value to his condition now that

he will have had such a negative experience based around it. You are correct, I certainly didn't intend on putting it in such a way as to imply that. Thank you for pointing it out and letting me clarify.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 04:44 PM

11. Please sign the families petition. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread