HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "What’s at stake are...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:57 PM

"What’s at stake are not secret operations of the government..."

"..but, instead, the nature and character of American governance."

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/the-targeted-killing-memo-and-the-problem-of-secret-law/

Oh wait-I guess the previous Administration was so ruthlessly and evilly brilliant in its "Fuck the Constitution, fuck democracy, fuck due process, fuck international conventions, and fuck public opinion, the President has the power to do whatever he damn well pleases!" that the nature and character of American governance is a sick joke.

The main justification for a White House that is above the law is that we are at war. With who, you ask? The terrorists. Al Qaeda and its affiliates-an international group or groups that are not (officially, at least) affiliated with any government in the Middle East or elsewhere, with operations scattered throughout the globe, loosely organized as a group, yet tightly knit as individual "terror cells", who "declared war" on America and its allies years before 9/11, yet one attack on the homeland (How arrogant and foolishly blind were we, to think "It can't happen here"!) and all the rules-of warfare, of the Geneva Conventions, of due process, of the Constitution itself-were permanently changed, for the sake of a perpetual war machine...which, might I add, has reaped a mighty profit from this arrangement!

Rather than have a real, frank discussion about the well-documented facts of the historical record-that the American government, through its military, its odious ties with multinational corporations, and its intelligence services, has ruthlessly enforced "American values" at the point of a gun or with the threat of a bomb, , in many countries and in many contexts, but all with the underlying assumption and ideology that our rules for the rest of the world don't actually apply to us.

No, we blame a "Clash of Cultures" or "Civilizations" or worse, a religion of over 1 billion people around the world, or even dismissing terrorism altogether as "evil" or "hating freedom", or even the (mistaken) view that people who lack exposure to "Western" culture or "democracy" are more likely to commit terrorist acts.

My point in all this, is that we cannot, as a nation, stand by and unconditionally support our elected leaders-Democrats and Republicans-who claim that our rules, our laws, our social contracts do not apply to them, or are conveniently forgotten in times of "war." The rest of the world notices this, and if history is any guide, some people do not forget powerful hypocrisy so easily.

4 replies, 457 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply "What’s at stake are not secret operations of the government..." (Original post)
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 OP
Angry Dragon Feb 2013 #1
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #2
TheMadMonk Feb 2013 #3
woo me with science Feb 2013 #4

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:34 PM

1. The politicians have forgotten that the American people are the government

they think they are the kings and queens
until that changes the American people are just serfs

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:38 PM

2. And if you, like I, believe all people are created equal then no one gets elevated to 'God' status.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:44 PM

3. And I just got a reply elsewhere which boiled down to...

...America can't aford to not keep on being a bully, lest it gets what's bloody well due.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread