HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I Found This Reply By DUe...

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:34 PM

I Found This Reply By DUer, Puzzledtraveller, Most Chilling... About Drones Of The Future...

I realize we have people "piloting" them now, but that may change.

"Imagine a domestic target and trying to order US military pilots to kill citizens, that would be problematic. Not so for a drone."

Link: http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=2329018

6 replies, 781 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I Found This Reply By DUer, Puzzledtraveller, Most Chilling... About Drones Of The Future... (Original post)
WillyT Feb 2013 OP
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #1
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #3
1-Old-Man Feb 2013 #5
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #6
Junkdrawer Feb 2013 #2
alcibiades_mystery Feb 2013 #4

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:37 PM

1. There is always a military "pilot" operating a drone remotely.

Drones don't just fly around on their own. They are a remote-controlled aircraft without a brain.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:41 PM

3. For now. Who knows what the future holds? nt

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:53 PM

5. Yep, always. "Always", hmmmmmm, quite a word.

Just this past weekend there was a conference covered on one of the weekend programs that Cspan puts on at which they discussed the current state of the art of facial recognition. Did you know you can be picked out of a crowd at 1/2 miles, without or without your beard and sunglasses with equipment that is readily available to anyone who wants it today? Hand held too, just small enough to easily fit in a Drone, and we'll let one of the math-wizzes do the algorithms for the targeting.

There is no such thing as always when it comes to us restricting ourselves in armament. As a nation we have gone crazy for more and more devastating arms and means of remote murder.

Reply to this post

Response to 1-Old-Man (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:14 PM

6. My dad worked for years developing USAF reconnaissance drones.

They were driven by a pilot by remote control and still are. Unless you have evidence that drones are operating independently of any human control and are being used on US soil against Americans without regard for their rights, you need to stop with the nonsensical fearmongering.

Where were you with your concerns when Dubya was running roughshod all over our rights?????

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:40 PM

2. Seen this?

Nobel Peace laureate Jody Williams is joining with Human Rights Watch to oppose the creation of killer robots — fully autonomous weapons that could select and engage targets without human intervention. In a new report, HRW warns such weapons would undermine the safety of civilians in armed conflict, violate international humanitarian law, and blur the lines of accountability for war crimes. Fully autonomous weapons do not exist yet, but high-tech militaries are moving in that direction, with the United States taking the lead. Williams, winner of the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for her work with the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, joins us along with Steve Goose, director of Human Rights Watch’s Arms Division.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/11/20/killer_robots_hrw_and_nobel_laureate

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:43 PM

4. Somebody watches too many movies

Luckily, a drone also can't be put in The Running Man!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread