HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Message hidden by jury de...

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:27 PM

Message hidden by jury decision

8 replies, 700 views

Cannot reply in hidden threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to NinetySix (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:30 PM

1. This is 100% legal & authorized, and Congress has upheld this 4 times.

so the whole title is not only totally hyperbolic but, gosh darn it, it just is 100% NOT true.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to graham4anything (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:42 PM

5. You're just as sarcastic as I am!

Unless of course you're serious, in which case I wonder why such an authoritarian would be here at DU.

The issue of due process was a) part of the reason for the War of Independence in the first place, and b) the reason that the Antifederalists demanded a bill of rights be appended to the US Constitution.

Did you agree with all of the Bush Administrations tortuous legal justifications for their egregious breaches of the Constitution? Do you think that Congress upholding an unconstitutional action makes it A-OK?

The persons killed by drone strike without regard to their Constitutionally guaranteed right to due process were Muslims. So it's OK? They were potentially plotting against the united States, so it's OK? They were dispatched without due process, without access to counsel, without any warning that their actions might make them targets of military action (unlike other treasonous citizens in the past), so GOSH DARN IT, it's different. GOSH DARN IT, it's novel. GOSH DARN IT, it sets a precedent for future Executive action.

GOSH DARN IT, it's NOT OK.

Response to NinetySix (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:45 PM

6. Congress authorized it. I am not being sarcastic,neither are any other repliers.

While at it, Lincoln would have done the same thing.

Response to graham4anything (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:47 PM

8. Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus during an insurrection.

The power to do so is explicitly enumerated in the main body of the Constitution.

Lincoln never had anyone assassinated without due process.

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:34 PM

2. The President has done nothing that warrants impeachment

Much as I disagree with the targeted killings and use of drones to carry them out.

And President Blackenstein? Really? What the fuck is that even supposed to connote even if you're saying that's how repubs view him?

Response to cali (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:40 PM

4. +1

Clever fail imo.

Response to cali (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:46 PM

7. That's a reference to Bill Maher's sarcastic reference to President Obama from the GOP perspective.

I'm not calling Obama that myself, but if there were ever a reason to impeach a President, you'd think that extrajudicial killings would rise to that level. My point is that the people who'd most love to find a way to displace Barack Obama from the White House won't utter a peep against this tyrannical use of military force.

Due process is important. That's why the Founders went to all the trouble of amending the Constitution for the sixth time.

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:38 PM

3. in accordance w/the bible's "NINE Commandments" so get over it (one commandment has been deleted) nt

Reply to this thread