HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well... It's Not Quite Th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:16 PM

Well... It's Not Quite The Frog-Marching I Had Hoped For... Still...

Karl Rove Is Done
Howard Fineman - HuffPo
Posted: 02/07/2013 6:00 am

Deep-dyed conservatives have a right to ask the Roves of the world what the establishment GOPers have done to erase the debt, limit the reach of the federal government or enhance a libertarian view of the world. The answer, to the Rand Pauls of the world, is simple: nothing.

The party of Paul, Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Gov. Rick Scott of Florida and many others is a throwback to the nativism and principled know-nothing-ism of conservatives whom the likes of William F. Buckley and Ronald Reagan purged from the party long ago, making it safe for the Roves of the world to advance.

It took the likes of Buckley and Reagan two decades to rid the GOP and the mainstream conservative movement of the John Birchers, ultra-isolationists and flat-out segregationists and to create a party and a platform that would win a national election.

Now leaders and potential leaders such as Cruz (a rising force to be reckoned with) and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida need to perform the same cleansing task -- and will probably have to take on the Paulites (who are paranoid conspiracy theorists at heart) to do it.

The war for the soul of the Republican Party is real, deep and reminiscent of that earlier conflict. For the GOP it ended well: they harnessed the energy at the grassroots to take over Washington.

This equally bitter GOP civil war may end in the party's revival, too. But it won't be Rove, or one of his clients, who is able to end it.

He's done.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/karl-rove-done-political-read_b_2635812.html

22 replies, 1730 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Well... It's Not Quite The Frog-Marching I Had Hoped For... Still... (Original post)
WillyT Feb 2013 OP
Lone_Star_Dem Feb 2013 #1
WillyT Feb 2013 #2
Make7 Feb 2013 #3
cali Feb 2013 #4
rhett o rick Feb 2013 #5
KharmaTrain Feb 2013 #8
rhett o rick Feb 2013 #14
KharmaTrain Feb 2013 #15
rhett o rick Feb 2013 #16
KharmaTrain Feb 2013 #17
rhett o rick Feb 2013 #18
KharmaTrain Feb 2013 #20
WillyT Feb 2013 #19
KharmaTrain Feb 2013 #21
WillyT Feb 2013 #22
libdem4life Feb 2013 #6
WillyT Feb 2013 #7
The Magistrate Feb 2013 #9
madinmaryland Feb 2013 #10
WillyT Feb 2013 #11
madinmaryland Feb 2013 #12
WillyT Feb 2013 #13

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:23 PM

1. It does have a nice ring to it though, doesn't it? "Karl Rove is Done"

Poor Karl. My totally non-sincere condolences to him and all his big money donors.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Lone_Star_Dem (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:33 PM

2. Yes It Does...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:35 PM

3. Wait. Reagan knew something? Is that true?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:38 PM

4. Isn't "principled know-nothing-ism" an oxymoron?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 05:55 PM

5. I dont buy it. Karl has a skill that is very valuable to the oligarchs.

He has quite a resume of dirty tricks. He will always be useful especially if the Bush Crime Family is going to try a comeback. But even if the BCF is done and replaced by the Kock Kingdom, Karl will find a job.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:32 PM

8. If So...

...then why haven't those tricks elected more rushpublicans? Karl's "the math" has been slipping consistently since his high water mark in 2004. He hasn't won much in the past 8 years...especially for all the money that's been thrown at him.

I don't think Karl is totally done...there are sure to be rich suckers out there that he can fleece and he will. It's far easier to grift the rich than to "fix" elections. And he's doing us some good...the longer the rushpublicans fight one another the better it will be for Democratic party chances in 2014...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:48 PM

14. I think you might be surprised at some of the races Karl has helped in. nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #14)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:11 PM

15. A Political Opportunist...

Nothing about Rover surprises me...if there's a way to get power and make money, he's there. His "air game" in the past election cycle was a disaster...except for his pocketbook as he got a nice commission for all those teevee buys and "consulting" fees (not to mention the money Murdoch throws at him). The monster he, Atwater and other slime created has come back to bite him in the behind as the teabagger/libertarians and the fundies aren't dancing to his tune any longer. He may be working with Jebbie for a run in '16 but the machine that was able to steal elections in 2000 isn't the same today. Rove needs some winners in '14 or his easy paydays comes crashing down...

Cheers...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #15)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:15 PM

16. Rove underestimated his advisaries in 2012. Maybe it was someone working for

Pres Obama or maybe Anonymous. But just because he lost a round doesnt mean he lost the fight. I doubt that there is anyone with his contacts and experience. The oligarchs have lots of money. They can afford to have failures now and then.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:34 PM

17. He's Backed The Wrong Horses In 3 Out Of The Past 4 Cycles...

'06, '08 and '12...and it could be said the success in '10 were despite him. Yep...the oligarchs have money and I'm expecting they'll spend like drunken sailors again to win state houses, house and senate seats in '14 but Rove's alienation of the teabaggers is driving a major wedge in the coalition his corrupt party needs to have a chance to win on the national level. He's looking at Iowa and seeing a nutbag like King likely to win in the primaries and knows that the dude's DOA in a general election...and there are other races shaping up the same way. Karl's gotta deliver the Senate...he's failed in every election since '06 and the clock is ticking. There are plenty of other opportunists...many with as many contacts and experience as Rove and without the baggage....ready to take the Koch, Adelson, Wynn, DeVos, Mellon-Scaiffe and other bucks. They can afford failures but they sure don't like them...especially with such a low return as what Karl "delivered" in '12. The shelf-life of a "political consultant" can fade quickly...witness James Carville...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #17)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:40 PM

18. I guess we will have to disagree. I would love it if Karl was tossed aside

but I think it's wishful thinking.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #18)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:53 PM

20. A Friendly Wager...

...'14 is his last stand...a bright shiny dime and a nice dinner your way if he's able to win the Senate...you buy if he fails. Make the mid-terms a bit more interesting...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #17)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:46 PM

19. Speaking Of The 2014 Elections... Did You See THIS ???

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #19)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:57 PM

21. Good Stuff...

Still a bit early to gauge the electoral impact of the gun control situation, but I find this very promising. The problem is how is this polling in the red and purple areas that Democrats need to hold seats. Let the rushpublicans keep pushing anti-choice legislation...it worked so well for them last year...

Cheers...

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #21)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:08 AM

22. I Thought So Too... Time Will Tell...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 06:12 PM

6. Totally works for me. Interesting that Rubio and Cruz...both Hispanics...are listed as the leaders.

I love the Castro brothers and what they could do for the Democratic Party...they are the real deal times two plus a great wife, daughter and mother. But probably still a bit young and needing more experience in politics.

Do we have any other Hispanic who is a possible candidate?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:23 PM

7. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:35 PM

9. Rubio And Cruz, Cruz Particularly, Are Nut-Cases Themselves, Sir

Fineman just cannot quite shake his heritage as a tool and a shit-heel....

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:49 PM

10. I thought he had been frogmarched...

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:52 PM

11. LOL !!! - Alas... An Internet Dream I'm Afraid...

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:05 PM

12. Yeah. I am still waiting for those 24 business hours until he is indicted.

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #12)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:07 PM

13. You Bad...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread