HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Duke frat changes party n...

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:47 PM

Duke frat changes party name: "Kappa Sigma Asia Prime" to "Intl Relations: Celebration of cultures"

Duke Students Protest ‘Racist Rager’ Frat Party

Students at Duke University today protested a fraternity party dubbed the “Racist Rager,” at which attendees dressed as Asians, including wearing conical hats, geisha costumes and an inflatable sumo suit.

On Tuesday, the school’s Asian Student Alliance plastered the campus with fliers that included the fraternity’s original email invitation that to a Feb. 1 party called “Kappa Sigma Asia Prime,” as well as photographs of frat members and other partygoers dressed in Asian-stereotype costumes.

The original invitation, obtained by a student newspaper, the Duke Chronicle, included racist language, including the salutation, “Herro Nice Duke Peopre,” and the line, “We look forward to having Mi, Yu, You and Yo Friends … over for some sake.”

When the email was reported to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, Kappa Sigma sent out a new invitation noting that the party’s name had been changed to “International Relations: A Celebration of All Cultures and the Diversity of Duke.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/duke-students-protest-racist-rager-frat-party/

11 replies, 2125 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Duke frat changes party name: "Kappa Sigma Asia Prime" to "Intl Relations: Celebration of cultures" (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Feb 2013 OP
d_r Feb 2013 #1
obamanut2012 Feb 2013 #2
Lex Feb 2013 #4
obamanut2012 Feb 2013 #5
Lex Feb 2013 #9
obamanut2012 Feb 2013 #10
OneGrassRoot Feb 2013 #3
EastKYLiberal Feb 2013 #6
mythology Feb 2013 #7
obamanut2012 Feb 2013 #8
libdem4life Feb 2013 #11

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:54 PM

1. too bad the ke boys

didn't learn better on their long, blind walk to Bologna to seek education, they must have had to go up and down too many stairs and fallen down along the way. At least they will be brothers in heart throughout life, or, as written in Greek, and Ἀδελφοὶ ἐν καρδίᾳ διὰ βίου, abbreviated AEKDB. Poor, poor KE boys. Its a good thing wikileaks didn't post their whole secret book on line at web address like http://wikileaks.org/wiki/The_secret_Ritual_of_Kappa_Sigma_%281995%29

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:56 PM

2. There's a reason why the Triangle believed the Duke Lacrosse accusations

And, I am NOT defending the false accusations and the famewhore DA.

Duke is a great university, but some within that university really have some issues.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:08 PM

4. They CALLED IT a "Racist Rager"

for the love of god.

Reply to this post

Response to Lex (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:14 PM

5. I know, right?

I don't know any other college or university that keeps doing this stuff with such frequency and thinking it's okay.

What an embarrassment.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:19 PM

9. They don't even realize

what an embarrassment they are---but that's a symptom of being over privileged d-bags.

Reply to this post

Response to Lex (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:19 AM

10. +1

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 03:57 PM

3. I know Greek life is supposed to be about community and service, comraderie...

but the negatives -- including the many that don't make the news -- are primarily what I see. It seems to bring out the worst in these kids rather than positives in too many cases.

I'm glad my daughter decided against it. I'm not a fan of Greek life at all. Never have been even when I was in school in the 80's.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:18 PM

6. Typical behavior from a school like Duke. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:33 PM

7. Don't worry they apologized once they realized it offended onthers

The frat president:

"Upon learning of the deeply damaging effects of our email to our fellow students, we should have completely canceled the aforementioned party. The Duke Community in which we exist is one that we see too often as divided, and while our actions have brought attention to and widened that divide, it is our sincere intention to work to contribute to a United Duke."

Blithering idiot. We're going to unite the university by being racist. Although I suppose they did unite the campus in disgust.

Also at least at the time of the nbcnews article linked below, the university wasn't going to punish the frat because it wouldn't help calm things.

Some people are so insipid I can't believe they remember to feed themselves or not walk in front of buses.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/06/16871238-duke-students-rally-against-anti-asian-frat-party?lite=

Reply to this post

Response to mythology (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:41 PM

8. They have a less than stellar track record with Durham's minority communities

Especially the large African American community.

Duke has a significant Asian/Asian-American student community, too.

Ugh.

Let me just pause to say: GO 'HEELS!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:51 AM

11. At least it's not just overlooked like before. All this bigot stuff loses much in the translation

to the social media or internet where not everyone gets the "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" Same for the Rape Crew. Bring it out in the light of day...doesn't quite have the same cool ring to it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread