HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Women... And The 2014 Ele...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:20 PM

Women... And The 2014 Election: Poll - TPMDC (This Is Sort Of Important Folks)

Last edited Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:56 PM - Edit history (1)

GOP’s Obsession With Guns Stands To Drive Women Vote In The 2014 Election: Poll
EVAN MCMORRIS-SANTORO - TPMDC
FEBRUARY 7, 2013, 12:13 PM

<snip>

Women who don’t usually vote in midterm elections — the same women who generally drive Democratic victories — will turn out in 2014 over the issue of guns, according to a recent poll.

The survey released by Women Donors Network, a self-described progressive “community of women philanthropists,” found that a subset of women voters who usually don’t vote in midterm elections are more likely to vote in 2014 on the issue of gun violence.

That echoes what former Rep. Steve LaTourette (OH), now a militant moderate leader in the Republican Party, said on Tuesday when he cautioned his party against sticking too close to the National Rifle Association in the post-Newtown legislative push to reduce gun violence. If the GOP is seen as being in the pocket of the NRA, he said, it could cost the party big with women in future elections.

The survey, which was conducted by Democratic pollster Diane Feldman and Republican pollster Bob Carpenter using live phone calls to 1,500 women, found that “women who may not ordinarily vote in a non-presidential year are among those most engaged with issues of gun violence.” The group also posted a PDF slide deck presenting the poll’s findings: http://www.womenunitedfor.org/wp-content/uploads/PowerPoint-FINAL-Women-Donors-Network-February-4.pdf

Feldman explained in an interview with TPM on Wednesday the results mean guns could be good politics for Democrats. “As we approach the 2014 congressional elections, the question will be to what degree do single women, lower income women, persons of color participate since that’s the Democratic edge,” she said. “And this is an issue that can encourage them to participate.”

<snip>

More: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/women-guns-2014-poll.php

15 replies, 1734 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Women... And The 2014 Election: Poll - TPMDC (This Is Sort Of Important Folks) (Original post)
WillyT Feb 2013 OP
libertyandjustice24 Feb 2013 #1
Hoyt Feb 2013 #4
libertyandjustice24 Feb 2013 #6
onehandle Feb 2013 #2
UncleYoder Feb 2013 #3
Hoyt Feb 2013 #5
Recursion Feb 2013 #12
WillyT Feb 2013 #7
WillyT Feb 2013 #8
WillyT Feb 2013 #9
Lone_Star_Dem Feb 2013 #10
Recursion Feb 2013 #11
The Magistrate Feb 2013 #14
WillyT Feb 2013 #13
WillyT Feb 2013 #15

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:23 PM

1. guns

I would like to see gun control measures that work. The Assault Weapons Ban and Brady Bill were relatively ineffective. I think it may take a very long time to make a difference given the amount of guns that are out there already.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to libertyandjustice24 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:27 PM

4. Start now. If we vsit on our rear for another decade, there will be another 100 million guns

floating around.

Sooner or later we are going to have to bite the bullet and do something. For example, quit trying to describe "assault" weapons in legislation -- just ban all semi-autos, including handguns. Let the right wing gun crowd scream if they can't act like adults.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:43 PM

6. I am just saying that I think the unfortunate fact is that it will be a long time before it will be

able to make an impact. I agree to start now, but we just need smarter legislation that is based on how other countries have effectively controlled it elsewhere instead of our nonsensical stuff like "gun free zones". I mean it may be good to not have guns in those zones, but the criminals sure do not care.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:26 PM

2. The GOP want to keep child killers armed and they are still coming after your lady parts.

Vote.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:26 PM

3. How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Start we must and start we will.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 01:29 PM

5. The gun culture keeps telling us gun restrictions are the surest way for Dems to get defeated.

Guess they are wrong again.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:27 PM

12. I will say, it's never polled this well before

And the numbers seem harder than I would have guessed. That said, I'm more than cynical enough to ride an issue I disagree with to taking the House, even if it means a few policies I don't like.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 04:49 PM

7. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:24 PM

8. And... Another...

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 08:56 PM

9. And...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:04 PM

10. The Republicans are trying (poorly) to repair the damage they've done with Latino voters.

But they've no idea what to do with women voters still.

They keep letting their party members and their surrogates rip apart our rights. They need to tread very carefully on the guns topic if women turn out to vote in 2014. Just look at what happened when they ticked us off in 2012.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 09:26 PM

11. I am happy to use an issue I largely disagree with my party on to recapture the House

Call me a cynic.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #11)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:14 AM

14. That's The Spirit,Sir....

"It doesn't matter what color the cat is if it catches the mice."

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:11 AM

13. Kick !!!