HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Happy birthday, Ronald Re...

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:17 PM

Happy birthday, Ronald Reagan!

You may be gone, but your legacy lives on....and many millions of Americans (and others, really-look at Central America) will live with that awful legacy for a long time.

For those of you who were around for the Reagan years...what do you remember?

Do you remember how he cut taxes for the rich and raised taxes on the poor and middle class several times, calling the latter of these "revenue enhancements?"

Do you remember his unbelievable defense of Iran-Contra ("My heart tells me that I did not trade arms for hostages, but the facts and record show otherwise")?

Do you remember his infamous Interior Secretary, James Watt, who referred to an environmental panel (IIRC) as "some Jews, women, and a cripple!"

Do you remember his smugly sunny optimism, his scripted quips in presidential debates, and his religious faith in both the evil of the government and the good of the private sector in domestic affairs?

Do you remember his appalling stance and policies towards AIDS and the way it impacted the LGBTQ community?

Do you remember how he set the precedent of union-busting with the way he handled the 1981 Air Traffic Controller's Strike?

Do you remember the hundreds of Reagan appointees who were indicted for crimes and/or ethics violations?

Add to this list as you wish. For all the talk of the "liberal Hollywood and media" by conservatives, it was their standard-bearer, their icon, their hero, their prophet who really set the precedent for the Presidency being a thoroughly modern media/propaganda machine. And that's, of course, before we talk about Reagan's policies.

So happy birthday, Gipper. Too bad you're not around to see what you've done to the country and world.

23 replies, 995 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Happy birthday, Ronald Reagan! (Original post)
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 OP
libtodeath Feb 2013 #1
abq e streeter Feb 2013 #2
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 #3
DearHeart Feb 2013 #4
hrmjustin Feb 2013 #5
Boomerproud Feb 2013 #6
LeftInTX Feb 2013 #7
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 #8
Warpy Feb 2013 #9
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 #11
Warpy Feb 2013 #18
Sekhmets Daughter Feb 2013 #10
NMDemDist2 Feb 2013 #12
Cleita Feb 2013 #21
immoderate Feb 2013 #13
quinnox Feb 2013 #14
alsame Feb 2013 #15
Itchinjim Feb 2013 #16
Brother Buzz Feb 2013 #17
Zephie Feb 2013 #19
Starry Messenger Feb 2013 #20
Autumn Feb 2013 #22
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #23

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:20 PM

1. I dont believe in heaven or hell but I do hope there is a special agony of some kind for his spirit

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:21 PM

2. His speech kicking off his campaign talking "states' rights" in Philadelphia,Mississippi

where those three civil rights workers were murdered by the Klan. No doubt just an amazing coincidence, and certainly not a dog whistle to racists everywhere that he was their man. Not with such a nice smile and sunny optimism...

Reply to this post

Response to abq e streeter (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:21 PM

3. Oh yeah...

"States rights" and "all-intrusive federal government."

Mmmhmm...move along, nothing to see here folks.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:25 PM

5. I will never forgive him for his refusal to deal with the HIV/AIDS crisis.

If he did something people might have lived longer.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:25 PM

6. I never bought into his morning in America "vision".

Just like everything else about the man, it was not rooted in reality. I'm also sick and tired hearing about the "love affair" with Naneroo. How hard is it to live with someone who worships the ground you walk on and never challenges you or your worldview?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:27 PM

7. Happy and birthday should not be in the same sentence as Reagan

Reply to this post

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:28 PM

8. I admit to saying it with a great deal of contempt and sarcasm

But I do see your point.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:29 PM

9. I remember a lot of people walking around with glazed eyes

burbling on about what a nice man he was, and wasn't it refreshing to have him in the White House!

I kept wondering when the actual words on the evening news would penetrate that fog and tell them what that incredibly evil man was really up to. Sadly, it didn't happen for a very, very long time, not until he was out of office and into the final stage of Alzheimer's, far away from any criticism.

I don't know what made me immune to whatever kept the rest of the country in a daze. I do know that I did have some company, my ex and my fellow nurses, all of whom could add and subtract and knew what was going on.

With the majority narcotized, there was just nothing we could do about it until the drug wore off.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 PM

11. Correct me if I'm wrong....

...but weren't many of Reagan's actual policies pretty unpopular (outside of the financial and business classes of Wall Street and such) ?

It was Reagan the personality that people liked, IMO. And even then, Iran-Contra took a big toll on his approval ratings.

Reply to this post

Response to YoungDemCA (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:49 PM

18. That folksy, corporate salesman persona is what kept him out of trouble.

Every time that man appeared on TV, people would say, "oh, he couldn't have been involved, he's such a nice man!"

His policies might have been unpopular but he was immune from criticism over them. It was weird.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:31 PM

10. Don't forget that

when he took office we were 'bankers' to the world and by the time he left we were the world's greatest debtor nation.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:40 PM

12. i lived through him being Gov of Cali first and that was bad enough

closing all the state mental hospitals, quadrupling college tuition just to name two of his 'lovely' legacies

then there was the interest rates that went sky high because of his mismanagement in the WH

yeah, i hope there isn't much peace in his 'RIP'

Reply to this post

Response to NMDemDist2 (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:55 PM

21. Me too and why he has a legacy that people admire is beyond me. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:45 PM

13. I remember liking him as an actor, but I was a kid.

He was good on GE Theater and Death Valley Days. And I liked his old movies when the came up on the TV.

I also liked "The Speech" he made in support of Barry Goldwater, as I was in high school and encountering Objectivist "philosophy" which I thought was philosophy. And I though I was intellectual, and philosophical and smarter than anyone could be. And Ronnie summed up everything that was righteous, simplistic, but righteous, in one speech.

However, my heart was with the civil rights movement, and I was always for equal rights for women, and the Vietnam War was reaching out to get me and I couldn't figure out why. So I went through a transformation while Ronnie considered running for office.

But when he became Governor of CA, I was far off, but aware of his antics. I know he decimated the universities. And then when he became president, I was quite radicalized, and take note of all your citations. Ronnie was a pig!

--imm

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:46 PM

14. I do remember James Watt

I was a young teen and grew up during the Reagan years. Like most kids, I was not politically aware and viewed Reagan from a non-politics perspective in that I thought of him as a kindly grandfather figure and felt warm feelings towards him. He projected a wholesome and deeply American positive optimistic image and that is all I knew.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:48 PM

15. Trees cause pollution and

ketchup is a vegetable.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:55 PM

16. Fuck Reagan.

This bullshit started with him. Fuck him.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:56 PM

17. GoogleŽ celebrates Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday by honoring Mary Leakey's 100th birthday

Love it...

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:52 PM

19. I was born after Regan, but I see what he's done

all I have to say about the man can be summed up not in words, but in a single emoticon...

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:53 PM

20. Reagan was my entire tween through teen years.

He put me off politics for years. Everything seemed so corrupt and inevitable. No consequences for the most unspeakable crap.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:56 PM

22. It's been over three days and the fucker is STILL dead.

My sympathy to republicans everywhere, cause that's all they got. Memories!!!!!! oh and a moldy corpse.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:58 PM

23. rot in hell, ronnie, you corrupt stool pigeon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread