HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » (Sweden) High tolerance' ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:12 PM

(Sweden) High tolerance' cited in man's drunk driving win

High tolerance' cited in man's drunk driving win

A 61-year-old caught driving with a blood-alcohol level five times over Sweden's legal limit walked free after a court in southern Sweden cited his high tolerance for alcohol.

The man, who works night shifts in Ystad, southern Sweden, told the court he had been drinking heavily on the day he was pulled over by police in November last year, wrote the Skånskan newspaper.

He had downed the contents of six small snapps bottles and a full-strength beer during the day leading up to his shift, but this was nothing unusual, he claimed.

The 61-year-old explained that he drinks every day, even before work, and that the additional 200 millilitres of mulled wine (glögg in Swedish) made no difference to his mental state.

http://www.thelocal.se/46030/20130206/#.URLi8PJIGSo

2 replies, 392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Sweden) High tolerance' cited in man's drunk driving win (Original post)
The Straight Story Feb 2013 OP
shenmue Feb 2013 #1
Warpy Feb 2013 #2

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:15 PM

1. Nice job, Sweden!

When he runs into and kills someone, like a drunk driver did to my cousin 30 years ago, I guess they'll say that's okay too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shenmue (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 06:23 PM

2. I've seen people on their feet and making sense

with blood alcohol levels that would send me or thee to dialysis. There is a certain amount of tolerance that builds up.

However, just because he was on his feet and making sense doesn't mean he wasn't blotto and his reflexes were completely off. The Swedish court definitely needs to rethink this one.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread