HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Solomon quake/tsunami

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 01:27 PM

Solomon quake/tsunami

"The information we are getting is that some villages west and south of Lata along the coast have been destroyed, although we cannot confirm this yet, the director said.
Solomons officials reported two 1.5-metre waves hit the western side of Santa Cruz Island, damaging about 50 homes and properties, said George Herming, a spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Darcy Lillo.

There were not yet any official reports of injuries or deaths. Villagers were heading for higher ground as a precaution, Herming said.
Luke Taula, a fisheries officer in Lata on Santa Cruz Island, said the tsunami arrived in small tidal surges rather than as one large wave.

"We have small waves come in, then go out again, then come back in. The waves have reached the airport terminal," he told Reuters by telephone.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/fears-for-villages-after-major-quake-hits-near-solomons-20130206-2dxso.html#ixzz2K923P2Uz

We are now starting to see damage reports starting to trickle in. In 2010 about fifty people were killed.

As I told Malaise last night, I got ten Emails from the USGS even with filters, alerting filters and my app went nuts for ten minutes. They had many, I lost count, quakes before and after the 8.0. I would have been shocked (pleasantly mind you) if there were no reports of deaths and injured.

I am a geek for earth sciences, the technical papers will be fascinating, since a case for foreshocks could be made...

0 replies, 311 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread