HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Duke students to protest ...

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:17 AM

Duke students to protest fraternity’s ‘racist rager’

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/duke-racist-rager-141248540.html

Duke students to protest fraternity’s ‘racist rager’
By Dylan Stableford

Students at Duke University are planning a rally Wednesday to protest a themed fraternity party that some are calling a "racist rager."

Photos from the party—held by Kappa Sigma on Friday—posted to Facebook showed students in traditional Asian attire. An email invite included stereotypical misspellings ("Herro," "Chank You") and an image from the film "Team America: World Police."'

... As Gawker pointed out, Duke students are certainly not the first to hold a themed party that's been deemed racist. Last year, a Penn State sorority held a Mexican-themed party, where "all the members decided to wear ponchos, sombreros and mustaches, and two women held signs, one of which read 'Will Mow Lawn for Weed + Beer' and the other 'I Don't Cut Grass, I Smoke It.'"

The sorority, Chi Omega, later apologized "for portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes."

3 replies, 1122 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Duke students to protest fraternity’s ‘racist rager’ (Original post)
jsr Feb 2013 OP
Blue_Tires Feb 2013 #1
yardwork Feb 2013 #2
Heidi Feb 2013 #3

Response to jsr (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 11:31 AM

1. Like I said; no one seems to ever learn...

Some Greeks on some campus are ALWAYS pulling this shit, which is why we see a variation of this story every semester

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 11:36 AM

2. Happens over and over and over and over and over again with some fraternities.

They make the entire campus look bad. For what it's worth, this particular instance is probably driven by envy and jealousy. I would guess that the Asian and Asian-American students at Duke routinely kick the asses of the Kappa Sig brothers in the classroom. If you can't compete academically, use your spoiled rich kid fraternity to make a lame joke.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 12:43 PM

3. Kick! Unless the university sanctions the fraternity and students involved,

this bigoted sh!t will continue.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread