HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Breaking - Saturday first...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:15 AM

Breaking - Saturday first class mail will be history come August 1st

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

11 replies, 849 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Breaking - Saturday first class mail will be history come August 1st (Original post)
malaise Feb 2013 OP
xchrom Feb 2013 #1
GeorgeGist Feb 2013 #2
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #3
DefenseLawyer Feb 2013 #8
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #10
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #9
AndyA Feb 2013 #4
malaise Feb 2013 #5
Ron Obvious Feb 2013 #6
spanone Feb 2013 #7
riverbendviewgal Feb 2013 #11

Response to malaise (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:17 AM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:19 AM

2. trash

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:23 AM

3. What? No crappy catalogs?

Bogus loan checks? Unsolicited credit cards?

Gonna really miss the US mail when it finally goes belly up.

not

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz Clik (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:32 AM

8. Right. That's all the postal service does.

I'm not sure if you are really clueless or just being snarky, but I would rather not live in your libertarian paradise.

Reply to this post

Response to DefenseLawyer (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:51 AM

10. The USPS makes by far most of its money from mass mailings:

All the kinds of junk we don't want that I listed above. Our costs for using the USPS continue to ramp up, and they continue to give us less and less. Yes, they employ a lot of people, and some post offices actually run with something the vaguely resembles efficiency.

Maybe the USPS gives you something of value that you treasure and cannot live without, but not me. Paper is nearly extinct in my personal life, and when paper is archaic, the USPS is history.

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz Clik (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:30 AM

4. I understand why the USPS is in financial trouble, but I don't understand

how cutting back is going to do anything but make things worse in the long run.

People have been using the USPS less, because other ways are faster/more convenient/whatever. So, how is making the USPS slower and less convenient going to help?

The USPS is considering closing a sorting facility where I live, which means overnight delivery in town of first class mail will end. It will now take two days. This does not encourage people to use the USPS, it encourages them to find a way to NOT use them. One day does make a difference, especially for those living paycheck to paycheck and needing to wait until the last minute to pay bills.

It seems to me the USPS should consider expanding its services to increase revenue. How about twice a day delivery for business and residential? They used to do that, and I'll bet there are those who would be willing to pay extra for it. They could bill the recipient for the service, a flat monthly fee.

I know that the USPS is limited by Congress, but I've never been able to understand how cutting back to cut costs is going to do anything but make it worse down the road. Seems the USPS needs to get more competitive instead of less.

Reply to this post

Response to AndyA (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:31 AM

5. But it all makes sense if your plan is to privatize it to you

and your cronies.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:27 AM

6. I wish I could opt out of snail mail altogether...

Frankly, I wish I could opt out of snail mail altogether. Although we live in a house, all we get is a small apartment-sized letterbox which is crammed with unwanted crap day after day. If I fail to empty it even one day, it gets taken back to the post office and all further mail is held until I go over there and spend half an hour (at least) in line to pick it up. If I don't do that it all gets returned to sender. It's a massive PITA as I travel a lot.

Oh, and I haven't mentioned all the important mail that never arrives or is delivered to the wrong address. That NEVER happened a few years ago.

I've taken to leaving my junk mail at the counter when I pick it up, but I don't think they like that much.

In some countries, like Holland, you can put a sticker on your mailslot saying you don't want any junk mail or advertising circulars and it works! The sticker below says "NO to advertising circulars and bulk mail". There are also "YES" stickers for those who like that sort of thing.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:28 AM

7. k&r...

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:28 AM

11. it will be okay

Canada stopped delivery on Saturday for years and we are okay. The PO is open until noon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread