HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bloomberg's legacy in edu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 03:50 AM

Bloomberg's legacy in education: total failure

Mayor Bloomberg’s decade-long school reform set out to reduce the race-based achievement inequities that characterize the city’s public schooling outcomes. Bloomberg and his first Schools Chancellor, Joel Klein, defined the school system’s racial achievement gap as the “key civil rights issue of our time.” In 2009, Chancellor Klein proclaimed that “neither resources nor demography is destiny in the classroom.” And in 2010, a broadside that Klein wrote with Michelle Rhee, the founder of Students First, declared, “The single most important factor in determining whether students succeed in school is not the color of their skin or their ZIP code or even their parents’ income – it is the quality of their teacher...”

The Bloomberg administration mounted systemic efforts to reduce inequity by expanding school choice through creating new small schools and charter schools, and by closing large numbers of struggling schools.

But after a decade of reform efforts, ZIP code and income are still the major factors predicting college success for New York City’s high school graduates. Is Demography Still Destiny? a study recently conducted by the Annenberg Institute for School Reform (AISR), found that the college readiness rates of the city’s high school graduates were strongly and negatively correlated with the percentage of black and Latino residents in the city’s neighborhoods. The average income in those neighborhoods was almost as highly correlated with readiness. So counter to the mayor and the former chancellor’s assertions, ZIP code, race or ethnicity and income still strongly determine students’ academic outcomes across the city’s classrooms. To the extent that students’ academic outcomes determine their future possibilities, demography – zip code, race or ethnicity and income – still shape students’ destinies as well...

The NYCDOE’s initial response to the AISR college readiness study was that the rates were worse in 2002, before the regime’s reform effort began. This response may be accurate, though it is hard to be sure because there was no readiness indicator available to measure high school graduates’ preparedness for college a decade ago. Still, the scale of current failure is so universal across the city system, with less than 25 percent of all the city’s students graduating college-ready, that it is hard to imagine significant progress across the past ten years.

In spite of the dramatic expansion of choice programs that have created almost two hundred small high schools and one hundred charter schools, the closure of some 150 struggling schools, and the development of increased options in the city’s high school admissions process, at least 75 percent of all the city’s students are graduating high school unprepared for college. Most of those unprepared graduates are black and Latino, most of them are from poor families and most of them live in neighborhoods comprised of large majorities of black and Latino residents.

http://www.citylimits.org/conversations/186/college-readiness#.UOmV2zXoYZd.twitter

Ten years of the Bloomberg dictatorship & the results are in: FAIL

17 replies, 1497 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bloomberg's legacy in education: total failure (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
xchrom Feb 2013 #1
glowing Feb 2013 #2
ReRe Feb 2013 #3
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #4
ReRe Feb 2013 #7
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #10
ReRe Feb 2013 #12
RC Feb 2013 #5
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #8
RC Feb 2013 #11
bronxteacher Feb 2013 #13
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #14
Smarmie Doofus Feb 2013 #15
bronxteacher Feb 2013 #16
femmocrat Feb 2013 #17
guardian Feb 2013 #6
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #9

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 05:05 AM

1. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 05:48 AM

2. If the "leaders" recognize that income inequality

Is a major issue with students failing or achieving, then they might actually have to stop protecting the wealthy class and do something real, like raise minimum wage to a living wage, spend money of day care and before/ after school care (because parents are working so much) and reform the "welfare" system in a way in which it works to help families.

We spend about $30,000.00 to incarcerate inmates each year. Why not spend some of that money on families and children at risk before they come of age and into criminal elements. Why not spend that on schools and programs early on?

Society is going thru a re-vamp. It's bad enough now many are asking why not? And it can't be a money thing when we rescue banks and take on endless wars; it's a war on the 99%, and we lose more and more each and every day.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:18 AM

3. Bloomberg & Rhee's Education Report Card: F

K&R

... Thanks, HPD. This is what I say to Bloomberg: "It's the society, stupid!" And it's not the teachers! That is a damn shame to only have 25% of their seniors college ready. How can Michelle Rhee call that success? I say that the failure of our education system in NY and all over the country, can be laid at the feet of William Bennet, GWB, and Rhee's feet. I remember back when Bill Bennet was the head of Education Dept, he insinuated he wanted to abolish the education system. I was abhorred by that man. Then comes GW with his NCLB. And then Rhee on GW's coattails. And here we are. Charter schools are going down the drain too, as they have no oversight, even though they get tax dollars. Have you read madfloridian's posts on all those tragic charter schools in Florida? And now we have Arne Duncan. Can anyone tell me what that man has done for our education system since he came in, beside photo-ops with PO?

Oh, Piers Morgan had Rhee on for his last 10 minutes last night, praising her new book. I think his research team is failing, as a matter of fact. Do you think he would have had Rhee on had he read this damning article that was published back on Sunday, January 6, 2013? I can't understand Piers coming out for Rhee, as he seems to have gotten the gun issue right.

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:27 AM

4. you can't understand piers morgan promoting rhee? rhee is tied to murdoch & so is morgan.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:32 AM

7. OK...

... it's hard for me to keep up. I didn't know Rhee was tied to Murdoch.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:20 PM

12. Thanks for the link...

..reference to Rhee-Murdoch association.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:34 AM

5. Here is a clue for ya...

at least 75 percent of all the city’s students are graduating high school unprepared for college.

Now how much does college cost? What is the economic strati most of these kids live in? Duh!
Maybe the problem is in the thinking that everyone needs a college education. You know, like the schools administrators have.
Maybe the problem is in the thinking of the college educated that working with you hands is somehow demeaning.
What is wrong with training these kids to be auto mechanics, computer techs, agriculture, whatever. Jobs that do not require what is normally thought of as needing a college education. How about giving them the knowledge and skills to survive as an adult doing something other than street corner drug deals or prostitution?

At one time I taught electronics at a community college Votec Center. There was a bias with the city school system administrators toward a college education. The conciseness with them was, the dumb ones went to the Votec Center because they weren't smart enough to make in college.
There were kids in the auto mechanics class that could not read. It wasn't because they didn't want to. It wasn't because they were stupid or dumb, or retarded. They had a learning disability. They could rebuild an engine with the best of them. They could look at the pictures in the book, read the numbers correctly for the clearances and specs, use the all the tools necessary to do the job right. And do it just as fast as anyone else. There was nothing wrong with their mechanical ability. There were several kids like this. They just could not read. Make the rest of us try that sometime. Look at the pictures in an auto mechanics book, read only the numbers and do the rebuild job right on a real engine and make it run.

I had a kid in one of my classes, who could seeming read just fine. But it would not stick. He could not explain what he had just read, when reading something to himself. But if he heard it, if he read it out loud, or if someone else read to him, he was fine. His eye sight was fine. Nothing wrong there. Just some missing some connection in the brain. B+ student in all his classes.

There are all kinds of reasons why college is not a realistic option for most people. These same the people that think these kids were not smart enough to go to college, could not do any of the mechanical skills jobs, or would struggle with the math required for electronic design, fail miserably at farming or similar jobs, that some of these kids could do naturally.

College is not the answer for a large percentage of the population. But that is what is being pushed, even now. How many people have a college degree and have never use it in the field of their education. The percentage of wasted time, money and knowledge is quite large. Just because you have a college education in say, economics does not mean you would be any better than at the job you ended up with, than a trade school graduate. Or even just a high school graduate.
My boss, the person who hired me for an IT job, had a high school education. No college. She was in charge of 9 IT people covering the state. She was making something like $100,000 a year when she retired.
Educate people for their natural abilities. I understand they do do this in some countries in Europe. Germany come to mind, for one.

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 02:14 PM

8. i didn't say it, bloomie did; he fails by his own standard. there are lots of good ideas about

education.

bloomberg-gates-rhee-style education deform is the only thing on the menu.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 03:21 PM

11. Sorry. I didn't mean You, you.

I should have been clearer.

Reply to this post

Response to RC (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 03:39 PM

13. you hit the nail on the head

It's so sad to see kids just being judged on regents exams. I have students who can barely read and can certainly not write a literary analysis essay, but their learning disabilities are never addressed and their true skills and talents are never developed. My own son is more vocational-minded than academic but there are no decent vocational schools in the Bronx. Vocational schools became warehouses for kids who are disruptive or very low-functioning academically. It shouldn't be like that. We should offer kids real choice based on their talents and passions. We should be able to get disruptive and violent kids out of regular public schools because they ruin things for the other kids.

I have kids who can barely read and write who tell me that they're going to become lawyers. It's been drilled into their heads from the time they're in elementary school that everyone should go to college. Colleges don't care if kids are prepared or not. Whether or not they finish, they still have to pay back those loans. It's a sham.

Reply to this post

Response to bronxteacher (Reply #13)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 03:53 PM

14. that's a different topic than the op, however. no, kids' abilities aren't being developed; however,

bloomberg made test results the criterion & he fails by his own standard.

i believe he has also closed down or defunded alternative (e.g. tech) programs in nyc as well.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 04:45 PM

15. Ed 'reformers' and know-nothings like Bloomberg don't even know that there....

... *is* such a thing as 'learning disabilities'. Nor do they care.

In my last year before I retired, they told me to stop teaching my mentally handicapped teenagers how use money and tell time
(Which is what we HAD been doing for decades because telling time and using $$ was what they needed to learn to survive in this society and they hadn't mastered it yet) and to teach them Algebra because the Kommon Kore Kurriculum says HS -age kids have to do Algebra.

This despite the fact that they still had to draw tally marks on the paper to do simple addition.

Absolute *mindlessness* has taken hold of education policy in the USA.

Mind. Less. Ness.

Welcome to DU. I'm a bronxteacher (retired) also.

PS. You might investigate BOCES in Westchester County. It is said to have much better voc ed. Problem is residency. You *could* move.... or perhaps see an ed lawyer about getting a Nickerson Letter.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #15)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:14 PM

16. thanks for the welcome!

Yes, mindlessness, insanity. I tell my non-teacher friends this stuff and they don't believe me.

I'll look into the Nickerson Letter. Thanks for the advice!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:51 PM

17. Welcome to DU, bronxteacher!

(Fellow educator here.)

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 08:23 AM

6. True, but

at least he saved the kids from the horrors of 20 oz sodas. You have to get your priorities straight.

Reply to this post

Response to guardian (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 02:15 PM

9. +1

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread