HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Moles Can Smell in Stereo

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:29 PM

Moles Can Smell in Stereo

Humans and most other mammals can see and hear in stereo, but now it’s known that a ubiquitous garden critter can smell in stereo too.

The super smeller is the common mole, according to a paper in the journal Nature Communications. This is the same animal that might be out in your lawn and garden right this very minute, digging holes and searching for something tasty to eat. We don’t often get to see moles up close, but as you can tell from the photo (above), it’s all about the nose.

Stereo smelling means that each nostril takes in different odors, with the brain recognizing those differences. The discovery is a first, since no mammals were thought to have this ability.

“I came at this as a skeptic,” neuroscientist Kenneth Catania of Vanderbilt University was quoted as saying in a press release. “I thought the moles’ nostrils were too close together to effectively detect odor gradients. The fact that moles use stereo odor cues to locate food suggests other mammals that rely heavily on their sense of smell, like dogs and pigs, might also have this ability.”

More: http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-mole-smells-in-stereo-130205.htm

1 replies, 356 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Moles Can Smell in Stereo (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 OP
DollarBillHines Feb 2013 #1

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:39 PM

1. I totally get it

As a child, I learned to 'cut sign' (look it up).

As an adult, living in Wine Country, I sense different elements thru each nostril.

The fruit shows up on the right nostril, the soil on the left.

My left nostril can identify the type of soil and the elevation of the vines.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread