HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Brennan nomination expose...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:54 PM

Brennan nomination exposes criticism on targeted killings and secret Saudi drone base

By Greg Miller and Karen DeYoung, Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 7:56 PM

President Obama’s plan to install his counterterrorism adviser as director of the CIA has opened the administration to new scrutiny over the targeted-killing policies it has fought to keep hidden from the public, including the existence of a previously secret drone base in Saudi Arabia.

The administration’s refusal to provide details about one of the most controversial aspects of its drone campaign — strikes on U.S. citizens abroad — has emerged as a potential source of opposition to CIA nominee John O. Brennan, who faces a Senate confirmation hearing scheduled for Thursday.

The secrecy surrounding that policy was punctured Monday with the disclosure of a Justice Department “white paper” that spells out the administration’s case for killing Americans accused of being al-Qaeda operatives.

The timing of the leak appeared aimed at intensifying pressure on the White House to disclose more-detailed legal memos that the paper summarizes — and at putting Brennan, Obama’s top counterterrorism adviser, on the defensive for his appearance on Capitol Hill.

more
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/brennan-nomination-opens-obama-to-criticism-on-secret-targeted-killings/2013/02/05/8f3c94f0-6fb0-11e2-8b8d-e0b59a1b8e2a_story.html?hpid=z1

4 replies, 543 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Brennan nomination exposes criticism on targeted killings and secret Saudi drone base (Original post)
n2doc Feb 2013 OP
TwilightGardener Feb 2013 #1
monmouth3 Feb 2013 #2
TwilightGardener Feb 2013 #3
rachel1 Feb 2013 #4

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:00 PM

1. I supported Kerry (once Rice withdrew) and supported Hagel, but I don't

know how I feel about Brennan--mixed. Don't want Obama injured with a rejected nominee, but this guy has some issues.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 07:45 AM

2. Is McCain on this committee? I wonder if their questions will be even close to Hagels...n/t

Reply to this post

Response to monmouth3 (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:12 AM

3. No, I don't think he's on the intelligence committee. I assume Brennan's questioning

will actually be pertinent to running the CIA, though (similar to Kerry's for SoS).

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:30 PM

4. Would there be just as much criticism if a repuke nominated him or someone similar?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread