HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If you are a liberal, why...

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:24 PM

If you are a liberal, why?

I'll tell you why I am a liberal-because I believe in the rights of the individual.

No, I'm not a "classical liberal" or libertarian-someone who equates "individual freedom" with "economic freedom", and "economic freedom" with private property rights and ownership, with no responsibility to the community, and no place for a strong government to protect those who have been left behind by the "free market" of the capitalist economy, or to offer a public space for those who have been persecuted.

Rather, I am a liberal because I believe in all the rights-political, economic, social, and other-of all individual human beings, no matter their ethnic or national background, their gender identity, their sexual orientation, their religious beliefs (if they have any), their income or occupation or employment status, their age, their political ideology, their field of experience...the list goes on, doesn't it?

I also am a liberal because I recognize that only a strong, transparent, democratic, and representative government can possibly not just protect rights and liberties for all individuals (and all means all!), but also provide true equality of opportunity for all people. Again, all means all.

This is what libertarians and other right-wing interpreters of the liberal democratic experiment that is the American experience miss. It is an ongoing, imperfect, and highly complex process. New information, new ideas, new developments, new people and new opportunities for people or groups of people where there were once none-all of these things have come into the country since the "Founding Fathers" put our principles in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Why adopt a narrowly legalistic, fundamentalist approach to a 237-year old document, made by a group of men who, as remarkable as they were, were themselves products of their time, not at all immune to prejudice or bias-in other words, by no means perfect and not meant to be taken strictly, narrowly, literally?

If America is to live up to its ideals as a free, liberal democracy, it must actually take the necessary steps to ensure that freedom for ALL individuals, ALL peoples, ALL communities-in other words, the common good.

That is why I am a liberal. How about the rest of you?

13 replies, 863 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you are a liberal, why? (Original post)
YoungDemCA Feb 2013 OP
rocktivity Feb 2013 #1
Zoeisright Feb 2013 #11
MyshkinCommaPrince Feb 2013 #2
Deep13 Feb 2013 #3
lunatica Feb 2013 #4
hollysmom Feb 2013 #5
dawg Feb 2013 #6
OffWithTheirHeads Feb 2013 #7
ZombieHorde Feb 2013 #8
Lady Freedom Returns Feb 2013 #9
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #10
LWolf Feb 2013 #12
Jamaal510 Feb 2013 #13

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:30 PM

1. As I heard on Air America radio when it was in its infancy

If you believe in personal freedom and governmental responsibility, you're a liberal.

If you believe in personal responsibility and governmental freedom, you're a conservative.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rocktivity (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:42 PM

11. Ha.

I have yet to meet a repuke who took "personal responsibility" for anything. They are the biggest cowards and whiners on the planet AND the think everything they have they got all by themselves.

I'm a Democrat because I believe in the society we live in, and that no person gets anywhere without the help of many, many other people.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:30 PM

2. At the core of it...

At the core of it, I think my political values were shaped by a recognition that the RW always, always strives to make the world a meaner, harsher place. This understanding led me to vote as I do, but an actual understanding of any of the issues involved came only later. Possibly I am a bit slow, and not the brightest of bulbs. But I feel we should work to make the world a better place for as many people as possible.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:31 PM

3. Math works. Dogma doesn't. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:36 PM

4. Like Bill Clinton says, "It's the arithmetic stupid."

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:38 PM

5. combination of nature and nurture

I was born with a questioning mind that loves facts. I was born into a family that was headed by a union leader, marched with Reuther in Detroit in the 30's, worked in the CCC and a mom who had to help support her parents during the depression even though she was only 11, dropped out of school to work in a laundry.

Somehow realized early there is no black and white only shades of grey, so I never look for simple answers, I am a liberal.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:42 PM

6. Love your neighbor as your self.

I believe we are on this Earth for the purpose of loving and caring for each other, and our government and social policies should reflect that.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 06:13 PM

7. Empathy

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 06:17 PM

8. I'm godless, I don't believe life has inherent value or meaning, and life seems pretty harsh,

so I am attracted to the idea of everyone working together to make life more enjoyable for the greatest amount of people. In my opinion, liberal policies generally do this better than conservative policies.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:30 PM

9. Because I have had a front row sit to watch the way Conservatism hurts people.

I have watch as people who love each other was ridiculed and not allowed to express their love like everyone else. Seen the religious right, with all their talk of family, tear families apart due to them not thinking that it was a good environment ( Mother was Lesbian). Watched as "good Christians" made children protest with foul signs. Add to it making it hard on a family just because they did not believe in God. Saw where Conservatives said they would do one thing yet do another and hurt people trying to make a living wage. The list goes on.

As you can guess it is a long list.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:39 PM

10. I believe our citizens are America's greatest natural resource and believe in inter-connectedness.

Plus a LOT of other completely rational and sane reasons.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 08:47 PM

12. Give me a universal

definition of liberal and I'll decide if I am one.

Between the definitions I get from the right, and the number of people who claim to be liberal that I don't find liberal, I'm not sure what "liberal" is supposed to mean.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 PM

13. The Bush ll presidency and FOX News

are my main reasons for being a liberal Dem.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread