HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On 20th Anniversary Of T...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:43 PM

On 20th Anniversary Of The Family Medical Leave Act, Meet The Republican Men Who Voted Against It

Twenty years ago today, President Bill Clinton signed the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The law, which passed with bipartisan support, gave workers new job protections in the event of a pregnancy or family medical emergency, mandating 12 weeks of unpaid leave. And while FMLA has failed to cover all workers only employers with more than 50 workers are bound by the law, for instance, and as many as 40 percent of the workforce remains ineligible for FMLA protections the FMLA has helped millions of women keep their jobs while caring for their newborn child.
And yet in 1993, 163 congressmen in the House voted against the bill. Twenty years later, 19 of those nay votes remain in the House of Representatives, and all of them have a few things in common namely, their gender and their race:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/02/05/1540251/fmla-republicans/

3 replies, 640 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply On 20th Anniversary Of The Family Medical Leave Act, Meet The Republican Men Who Voted Against It (Original post)
octoberlib Feb 2013 OP
bmbmd Feb 2013 #1
Recursion Feb 2013 #2
octoberlib Feb 2013 #3

Response to octoberlib (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:20 PM

1. Ralph Hall is my representative.

He was a Democrat twenty years ago-albeit a so-called "Reagan" Democrat. He changed parties about eight or nine years ago when it became expedient for him to do so. He is essentially worthless.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to octoberlib (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:21 PM

2. I was a page that term. I remember that vote.

Though I'm appalled to think it was 20 years ago. One of those all-night sessions with a 4am vote. Rostenkowski had to remind Jamie Whitten which way he was voting.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:37 PM

3. Ol' Jamie Whitten. Being a page during that time must have been very interesting. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread